cypress to squamish? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default cypress to squamish?

Hey everyone,

I live in Vancouver and I'm new to clubtread but not particularly new to multiday hiking. However, as a vancouverite i have recently been plotting a hike from cypress mountain to squamish. the first third or so of the hike would be the howe sound crest trail to the lions or brunswick but I was wondering if anyone on this forum is familiar with trails that connect the HSCT to squamish or would it just have to be bush wacking? also, any estimates of the time it would take to complete this trip? i'm guessing around 10 days or so but i could be totally wrong so I'm open to any input.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

It's crossed my mind; I thought it would make a good tourism development project.

I suspect the most likely/pleasant route would be to head slightly inland/east (and therefore into the watershed) somewhere around Mt Brunswick. Exiting towards the coast maybe between Chanter Ridge and Ben Lammond. From there you could use the Mountain Lake trail to where it joins the Sky Pilot route, and then you're back on trail/road/gondola to the Chief parking lot.

I've never seen the un-trailed part myself; simonc is more familiar with that country and might be able to comment on the feasibility.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I recall a discussion around this a few years back. IIRC, there is no good route off Brunswick itself, so the route would either be down to Brunswick Lake, back to the ridge beyond Brunswick and onwards and inland around Britannia, or it would have to go deep into the watershed. It is a feasible route, but with a substantial chunk of new trail through tough terrain and watershed access issues. The Indian Arm trail was built and it really hasn't seen much use at all. In fact I haven't seen a trip report in years so I'm not sure there is enough demand for a trail that long and tough to keep it passable and navigable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Take HSCT to deeks lake, then up the trail to the windsor-deeks col. From they're you're on your own to get over to Mt. Capilano. Descend the Beth Lake trail on the north side of Capilano to Furry Creek, ford the creek below the IPP intake and hike up the road on the other side to the wind lake trail which goes to the Mountain Lake cabin. From mountain lake, follow the ridge N to sky pilot. Climb the south ridge on ski pilot (class 3) and descent the west ridge (class 3-4) to the Stadium glacier. Pick up the trail down to the head of shannon creek and down to the old logging road which leads to the top of the sea to sky gondola. The only substantial bushwhcking would be from the Deeks-Windsor area down to Phyllis and Marion Lake and back up to Mount Capilano. The ascent up Mt. Capilano looks brutal on google earth.

Edited to add:

Looking it over again I would probably opt to descent east via Peacock lake and then up the south side of Capilano. That looks like much easier terrain.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ginko

cypress <s>mountain</s> bowl
The main issue is that north of Deeks there is no nice alpine ridgecrest. the HSCT follows an obvious divide. North of that you are crossing east-west drainages in the Furry system which means lots of up and down. Then you have the Sky Pilot group to get through. None of this is what I would term enjoyable hiking.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

The Upper Capilano Watershed gets in the way being a valley and illegal south of Marion and Phyllis Lakes. Scott has given a viable route but coming down from Peacock Lake puts you into the watershed (and the area is pretty bushy).

If you don't mind logging roads then do the HCST and follow it down to Porteau Cove area and take the old road that connects to the Phyllis Lake Road then get onto Downing Creek Road towards the Beth Lake/Capilano Trail then take the connector over to Furry Creek (Furry-Downing) as mentioned by Scott then do the Mountain Lake route.

You could also try the long northern ridge of Deeks Peak all the way down to Phyllis Lake Road.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hi everyone,

thanks for the input! From all this though I think I'll try to get from brunswick to capilano to sky pilot and from there too Squamish. I'll have a good two weeks off, so time is not a concern of mine. I do not have a car and I don't like the idea of spending a ton of money on an experience that i can have in my backyard (i.e plane trips to distant lands with beautiful mountains, or days and hours of driving to a remote trail/mountain which can cost a ton in gas or renting fees). so these are the kinds of hikes and trips i intend to further pursue in the near and distant future so long as i live in south western B.C. I'll let you guys know how the trip goes when i'm done. One last question though, does anyone have any expectation of the explicit time it would take to accomplish this hike from cypress 'bowl' to squamish via the trailless route listed above?

Thanks again for the advice everyone
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Look up the fools gold route it might be what you're looking for.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:01 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi, we 'proved' the Cypress to Squish route (well, one version of it) a few weeks ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1187915056

Did you end up ever making an attempt?
-Ian
guntis likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 01:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robertson View Post
Hi, we 'proved' the Cypress to Squish route (well, one version of it) a few weeks ago.
-Ian
That's pretty epic. Lots of elevation gain!

It's too bad there's that section of required highway travel from Porteau to Furry Creek, but I'm going to guess you're pretty fast...also, it does offer an actual bathroom in Porteau Cove if you want the luxury It would be cool if you could use the trail from Porteau Cove, then take the Downing Creek FSR and cross Furry Creek somewhere (it's been done, but bushwhacking is slow and tiring).

How bad is Cyrtina Creek trail to Mountain Lake Hut? I heard it was pretty bushy now.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 02:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

a more aesthetic finish would be scrambling up the south ridge of Sky Pilot, down-climb the pink slabs (west ridge), drop down to Stadium Glacier and out via Sky Pilot valley trail. Route I did when solo'ed Ledge Mountain a couple weeks ago.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks ... was a satisfying day.

There was a way to eliminate a bit of the highway by heading inland at Porteau Cove (by the roadworks shed) ... but I didn't have any beta on it, and there was plenty of unknowns later in the day that I/we didn't really want to risk an unknown early.

The trail to Mountain Lake is quite good - occasionally hard to 'know' you're on the right trail, but marked enough that essentially as soon as you think that, you see another flag. BCMC cleared the trail in the summer, and I'd imagine it was rather hard to navigate before, but at least when we did it, it was fine, and should be for at least most of next year, I wasn't really paying attention to what type of flora was there to know how fast will fill in. There is certainly a lot of plantlife to step over though, because they basically cleared a hole in the foliage, but not necessarily all the way down to the trailbed, so hopefully lots of people use the thing to help clear it out further.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the proposed HSCT North https://backcountrybc.ca/index.php/c...st-trail-north

-Ian
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:27 AM
Hittin' the Trails

(@StevenSong) We contemplated that ... but didn't want to bring any glacier gear (I hadn't scouted the glacier this year and didn't want to try it, sans gear especially, without doing so). Also, we would have lost daylight prettymuch exactly when cresting the ridge, so lots of downclimbing and glacier in the dark.

Do you have GPX for your route?

Others are certainly welcome to improve on our route ... we dubbed it simply 'Lift to Lift' because there is a great deal of possible 'choose your own adventure' possible, and I'm eager to see what others put together.

-Ian
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Hey Ian,
I plotted out what I think might work as a connection from Deeks to Marion Lake (file is attached). No idea if it goes. Topo looks reasonable and the upper ridge appears doable from what I've eyeballed, but obviously without trying it, can't tell if there are cliff bands or epic bushwhacking.

Possible spring attempt?
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Deeks to Marion option 1.gpx (6.0 KB, 48 views)
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Some spring sussing sounds like a good idea ... I know Chris also wants to check out the area more also.

Sticking to Deeks Ridge, or dropping into the valley like you suggest are the most promising options, but I have no doubt that we'll be surprised which route ends up actually being the easiest.

Looking at google, the valley down from the saddle between Deeks and Windsor also has promise, though I can't tell if some of the apparently open terrain actually is (maybe someone has photos looking down from Windsor peak? (hypothetical in blue)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deeks Hypothetical Route NE.png
Views:	150
Size:	879.9 KB
ID:	240530  

guntis likes this.

Last edited by Ian Robertson; 11-07-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: add more info

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page