cypress to squamish? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:04 AM
Hittin' the Trails

This is another breadcrumb possibility if the 'North' access could be found.
https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...tml#post167273
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Oh man, idk why you'd want to get into the drainage so soon like that instead of following the ridge down (blue Deeks line). Following a drainage in the Coast Mts is almost always a horrible idea.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Oh man, idk why you'd want to get into the drainage so soon like that instead of following the ridge down (blue Deeks line). Following a drainage in the Coast Mts is almost always a horrible idea.
Normally I'd agree ... but Google Earth shows it to be surprisingly clear looking for some reason ... I haven't seen anything which suggests why that is, so until I do, it remains simply a hypothetical possibility still to be excluded from possibility, no more, no less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I'm looking at it on Google Earth right now and it's all slide alder and talus patches
post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The whole north - north-east side of Deeks and Windsor is either big second generation trees, clear cut, or horrible devils club and salmon berry. Looking up from Phyllis Lake, I would not recommend coming down from Windsor area. Surrounding the lakes is horrible almost impossible bushwhacking and any farther puts you in the watershed. I personally think coming down from Deeks peak to Lost Lake hut and then up the ridge from the hut and over is the best idea. Was up at the hut last weekend and a trail up looks doable. See photo below of the route I'm thinking. Looking from the Phyllis Creek FSR this seems very feasible also. I attached some photos from this fall of the area to get an idea - Russell

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deeks to Marion EARTH 1.PNG
Views:	119
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	240689

Name:	Deeks to Marion EARTH 2.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	240697

Name:	Deeks to Marion EARTH 3.PNG
Views:	158
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	240705

Name:	Lost Lake to Marion Machbox.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	977.2 KB
ID:	240713

Name:  20171104_161235.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  1.70 MB

Looking at the valley above lost lake.

Name:	20170915_162307.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	240729

To the left is Phyllis creek fsr. to the right is a logging road spur that crosses the outflow of Marion lake which connects with Phyllis Creek. Going across the bridge would be the final part of the descent shown on the google earth photos.

Name:	20171029_105324_HDR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	240737

Photo of marion lake. You can see the devils club and salmon berry surrounding the lake.
Snowshoe_run_crew likes this.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
The whole north - north-east side of Deeks and Windsor is either big second generation trees, clear cut, or horrible devils club and salmon berry. Looking up from Phyllis Lake, I would not recommend coming down from Windsor area. Surrounding the lakes is horrible almost impossible bushwhacking and any farther puts you in the watershed. I personally think coming down from Deeks peak to Lost Lake hut and then up the ridge from the hut and over is the best idea. Was up at the hut last weekend and a trail up looks doable. See photo below of the route I'm thinking. Looking from the Phyllis Creek FSR this seems very feasible also. I attached some photos from this fall of the area to get an idea - Russell
This looks like quite a promising route.

Also, from the perspective of future use, having pre-existing huts along the route would certainly be no bad thing for those less interested in doing 80+km days.

A Sunshine-Coast-Trail style 'civilized' way of doing things would be:
HSCT to Lost Lake Hut
Lost Lake Hut to Mountain Lake Hut
Mountain Lake Hut to Squamish.

Extending further heads up either Brohm Ridge or to Elfin Lakes (if one *really* wanted to try the glacier crossing in summer) ... and then there is the need for a similar stopping point somewhere between there and Whistler. Not a large hole to have to fill, in the grand scheme of things. Having such huts would also make it more likely that the trail didn't quickly become another 'fools gold' route.

So, Vancouver - Whistler could be anything from an *ambitious* 2 day to a week long trip ... only needing one more shelter to make it viable for hiking.

For fastpack/trail-run style, one day to Mountain Lake Hut, one to Brohm Ridge Lodge, then one to Whistler is also appealing.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Looks like there was a trail in the 70's at least .... over on Chris's trip report someone posts a link: https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...tml#post819242
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

... I forgot about the cabins at Porteau Cove ... this adds another bit of 'civilized' to the trip even at the moment ... day 1 to the porteau cove cabins, day 2 to Mountain Lake hut, day 3 to Squamish ... if one really wanted to make it SCT style for distances/pacing.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:13 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I'll be posting more info soon but the hypothetical route actually works - or will do with a little bit of added rope.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1904867997
and
https://www.strava.com/activities/1917536227
guntis likes this.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page