1-ride Backcountry Access Lift Tickets Whistler? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default 1-ride Backcountry Access Lift Tickets Whistler?

The only reference I can find online for this year is a note on this page:

"Backcountry Lift Tickets
1-Ride backcountry access lift tickets available for $53 + HST. Must be pre-ordered through Extremely Canadian. "

Does anyone know if it is true that you must pre-order through Extremely Canadian this year or can you get them at WB guest services as in previous years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Summit Master

It could be the "Sightseeing" passes that apply.
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/res...tseeing.search

Adult, 1 day up Blackcomb orWhistler, $47.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

I've had clients pick them up at Guest Services no problem this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

sgrant: I think the site-seeing tickets are only for people in shoes and I think they check that at the base.

msulkers: Thanks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: I enjoy outdoor activities of all sorts, and always learning new ways to enjoy myself outside. Reading, socializing, travelling, and photography keep me busy as well.

Yeah the backcountry tickets are a little more expensive than the sightseeing tickets. You can still get them at guest services, this season.

As always, make sure you bring the needed gear (including skins of course) and have proof of a trip plan left with someone.

I think the reference to Extremely Canadian might be a subtle attempt to direct users interested in the whistler backcountry to their guided programs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

The only reference I can find online for this year is a note on this page:

"Backcountry Lift Tickets
1-Ride backcountry access lift tickets available for $53 + HST. Must be pre-ordered through Extremely Canadian. "

Does anyone know if it is true that you must pre-order through Extremely Canadian this year or can you get them at WB guest services as in previous years?
That's one more reference than I've ever been able to find on their website in the past. W-B really doesn't publicise that it exists.

Most of the avy schools that run courses in the W-B backcountry have similar notes on their sites.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it once the RFID ticketing system goes in. It should cut down on people abusing the pass by making multiple runs inbounds.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PaulB
It will be interesting to see how they handle it once the RFID ticketing system goes in. It should cut down on people abusing the pass by making multiple runs inbounds.
Presumably that will lead to reduced costs?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PaulB
Presumably that will lead to reduced costs?
That's the plan. There was a pretty decent sized upcharge because of ticket abuse. I've been told up to $ 10 - $ 15 of the "old" backcountry ticket was because of abuse
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Quote:
quote:I've been told up to $ 10 - $ 15 of the "old" backcountry ticket was because of abuse
Though when the manager who made the big leap in charges made that claim, he was unable to present any evidence that this was actually occurring before leaving for that beloved resort in the Rockies that did so well with its pro patrol director and crew.

It was in his words an "estimate" not based on statistics. As a local club, we suggested that any backcountry users caught miss-using a backcountry pass be blacklisted for life, but that apparently was too onerous compared to increasing the ticket cost by about 35% in one shot for all users...

BC Parks was unable to find a copy of the original agreement with Garibaldi Lifts guaranteeing a "reasonable" rate for backcountry tickets as one of the conditions of granting a massive park boundary roll back to create the larger CRA for Whistler Mountain in the 1960's.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

It would be nice to have a backcountry pass or 5 day card once the RFID ticketing system is active.

The abuse is a bit of grey area: the backcountry tickets is for one ride up, but what happens when the Glacier Express/Seventh Heaven is not open yet? Sometimes the answer was you have to wait, sometimes the answer is take a lap or two on Jersey Cream. A bit different from folks who stash their bc gear and ride the lifts all day.

BTW is the new system planned for next season?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 PM
JP
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by runningclouds

It would be nice to have a backcountry pass or 5 day card once the RFID ticketing system is active.
Don't hold your breath. I could be pleasantly surprised, but I get the sense backcountry passes aren't going to get cheaper or easier.

Quote:
quote: The abuse is a bit of grey area: the backcountry tickets is for one ride up, but what happens when the Glacier Express/Seventh Heaven is not open yet? Sometimes the answer was you have to wait, sometimes the answer is take a lap or two on Jersey Cream. A bit different from folks who stash their bc gear and ride the lifts all day.
Obviously under the new electronic ticketing going for a run while you're waiting for Glacier or Harmony to crack won't happen.

For the past few years they'll only sell you a pass if there's a good chance that upper lifts will open. Pretty sure this info used to be on their website, but not now. You'd think they'd post something like: "Due to recent storm snow, no backcountry passes will be sold today" but of course they want people buying full day tickets to go up hoping that the upper lifts will open, so wouldn't want to advertise this. And of course, sometimes they don't know for sure. I've had lots of times where we simply went elsewhere to avoid getting skunked by Guest Disservices not selling passes.

Overall I wonder if W/B is unsure and uncomfortable with the whole backcountry thing. It's a liability headache, yet they want the image and specter of backcountry extremeness as part of their corporate image.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page