Tick Warning - Raven Bluffs - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Tick Warning - Raven Bluffs

A friend and I hiked up Raven Bluffs, just east of Mission on Monday. Our 4 legged friends brought home some friends of their own. Even with my dog on Revolution my tick count is 8 so far, her dogs tick count is 4 so far. Another friend hiked the trail a week or so before us and checked her dog after I posted on another site and she found ticks aswell.

So if you have been on the Raven Bluffs trail in the past few weeks, give your dog a look over. Unfortunately my dog has very long hair, so it is a bit of a challenge trying to find the buggers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Summit Master

thanks Niki
Here I thought ticks were later in the year and usually up the canyon more..?

PS
we should take the trucks out, My GMC is actually road-bushworthy again [^]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

How are you to remove the ticks from your dog? I was up the abby grind and nothing on Maxi. I think he goes so fast in the bush they don't have time to grab hold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Revolution unfortunately isn't the best product out there for ticks. If you want to get picky, it is only labelled to control two species of tick (which may just be related to what they tested on vs what it really is effective against). The major problem is that the ticks actually have to attach and ingest some blood before it will kill them… So.. if you leave them on there, they should die, but whether they will have had time to transmit any tick borne disease - little bit of a question. That being said, I don't think any of the products out there have a label to prevent transmission of tick borne disease. There are some other products out there that kill the ticks a little faster, but they are not as broad spectrum as Revolution, so often you end up needing 2 different products, the second to control GI parasites. Worth a discussion with your vet if you are finding yourself often in tick infested areas, especially in spring when there are more of them out there, and careful usage, especially if you have cats due to potential toxicity issues.

Same story as on people to get them out. Fine tweezer, or one of the ones that MEC and other outdoor stores carry, make sure you get the head, and sometime worth keeping them aside for potential future testing, in case someone comes up sick later.

If you want to get more info on ticks (or other parasites generally), this website is great, but might be a bit heavy:
http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendations/ticks/

This is their 'light' version, for pet owners:
http://www.petsandparasites.org

As per the first link for treatment: (Selamectin is Revolution, which they talk about in the last paragraph)

Regular application of acaracides is often necessary to protect the dog or cat from ticks and the diseases they transmit.
In North America, several topically administered acaracides appear to have the greatest efficacy against ticks: amitraz (available in a spot-on formulation and impregnated collar), fipronil (available in spray and spot-on formulations), and pyrethroids (synthetic pyrethrins) that include deltamethrin (available in spot-on formulation and impregnated collar), flumethrin (impregnated collar), and permethrin (available in spray and spot-on formulations).

Amitraz, deltamethrin, fipronil, flumethrin, and permethrin may help prevent tick attachment and cause tick death within 24 to 48 hours. Certain pyrethroid formulations may also produce repellent-like activity.

Amitraz, fipronil, deltamethrin, flumethrin, and permethrin formulations can be safely used on dogs, but only fipronil and flumethrin are approved for use on cats.

Published data indicate that selamectin kills R. sanguineus and D. variabilis on dogs, but selamectin's slower speed of kill may not be clinically acceptable in heavy tick infestations.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the info!

Yvonne, my vet gave me some tick remover tools, they look like a for kinda, you slide it under the tick and twist it until the tick pops off. It works really well, hardest part is getting the dog to stay still.

Aqua Terra, yah I never would have thought ticks here either, I have heard from a few people that they can get bad on Sumas aswell. Yikes, I am ticked out already for the year, I don't want to see another.
My truck is missing a fuel tank and some other things, When I get motivated to fix it we should hit the backroads for sure.

I first noticed the ticks while at the vet for another reason, So I got my dog vaccinated for Lyme disease.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sticki_niki

Thanks for the info!

Yvonne, my vet gave me some tick remover tools, they look like a for kinda, you slide it under the tick and twist it until the tick pops off. It works really well, hardest part is getting the dog to stay still.

Aqua Terra, yah I never would have thought ticks here either, I have heard from a few people that they can get bad on Sumas aswell. Yikes, I am ticked out already for the year, I don't want to see another.
My truck is missing a fuel tank and some other things, When I get motivated to fix it we should hit the backroads for sure.

I first noticed the ticks while at the vet for another reason, So I got my dog vaccinated for Lyme disease.
had to pull my tank last year and brake lines, yay.. don't miss my trucks until I need them and they are broke, glad both are usable at this time, but its always a maintenance game.
Will check Gin for Ticks, as we don't practice tick avoidance or looking the dog over, yikes [B)]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I went up Abby grind again today and i combed Maxi after and found hitch hikers.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Summit Master

OK
seriously, I will check daily now.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

Any humans getting ticks on these Mission/ Abby area trails? - or only the doggies?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

so far just the doggies as they like to explore off trail. If you stay on the trail and not rubbing up against the brush and branches you should be good.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I hike with my dog on Raven and Dewdney regularly. My dog picks up ticks at both places in the early spring, late winter. We spotted the first one this year in early March. I think they are at their worst right now.

I give my dog Revolution and I find it works pretty good when freshly applied, it sure doesn't last a month. I have found ticks doing the hurky jerky, dying on the floor after a fresh Revolution treatment. I have also found dead ticks still embedded in my dog...

This tick problem is only getting worse, I sure hope we find a better way to deal with them.

Scott
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 PM
RGB
Banned

Ticks have been reported a lot this spring in WA.
One example; http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8010111
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I like to mostly hike and snowshoe. Mountain biking, kayaking and adventure racing are some other things I spend my time doing.

Three weeks ago a group of us had a total of 3 ticks on us up at spenses bridge. But that can be expected up in that neck of the woods.

Mark
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Lots of ticks around the Cache Creek area this past weekend... [V]
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I know of a couple people who have actually picked up ticks on Taggart. The Glen Ryder trail. I got one on the back of my neck a couple seasons ago. Noticed it at the lookout and thankfully had some tweezers in my first aid pack. Had my buddy slowly pull it out. You can see the jaws unhook so you know when they've let go. Felt like a little sting and then felt a small bump there. So watch out! It was around this time of year, just when all the greens were opening back up for the year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page