FSR to Indian Arm to be Reopened for Pipeline? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

As of April 2015 you could drive all the way out to Indian Arm in a good HC 4X4. There was one tight bypass around a washout that was a bit tricky to maneuver but otherwise not too bad. Road up to Norton Lake was also in decent shape, but bushy.

I have heard rumours that the road has since become impassable, but I haven't seen any concrete reports. Maybe you should go check it out and report back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:04 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I will check this weekend
post #33 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj24 View Post
As of April 2015 you could drive all the way out to Indian Arm in a good HC 4X4. There was one tight bypass around a washout that was a bit tricky to maneuver but otherwise not too bad. Road up to Norton Lake was also in decent shape, but bushy.

I have heard rumours that the road has since become impassable, but I haven't seen any concrete reports. Maybe you should go check it out and report back?
Just got back from driving it today. The road is pretty smooth going from Squamish all the way to Indian Arm. We were of the thought that driving to Vanvouver was possible, but turned around up toward Hixon Peak, a few clicks past Flyin Road. The roads up there were also in real good condition, but not knowing which spur to take (at the time) and running out of daylight saw us turn around.

There has been a lot of activity on the road this summer by the look of it and a number of excavators are still parked on the road now. One of the big washouts (we believe the one that has concrete blocks thrown up every once in a while) had quite a lot of water moving over it on our way back and if we keep getting this rain, well it will be interesting to see what happens to it.

Does anyone know if the gate on the Coquitlam side is still there/closed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 PM
Scaling New Heights

I went to bonnycastle 2 weeks ago and the gate was still there and locked.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I went to bonnycastle 2 weeks ago and the gate was still there and locked.
Hey can you give a bit more info about your trip? Was Hixon FSR also drivable and had there seen some significant changes since Simon put up his trip report many years ago? What kind of "High clearance" vehicle would you need for the drive?

Thanks..
post #36 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Scaling New Heights

The road was good the whole way. There's a few cross ditch on the Indian Arm FSR which I crossed easily with my stock Ranger. I can't seem to remember how deep they were... a low clearance vehicle might make it but i'm not sure. I drove many logging roads these last 2 months and i'm getting a little confused. But I know that it's in way better condition than the Mamquam FSR. They are working on a few sections of the Indian Arm FSR and for some reason they park their pick up truck right in the middle of the road but they got out of the way when I showed up, i guess they don't see a lot people during week days. I also tried driving up to Norton Lake and the road was extremely rough so I decided to turn around. I think I could of made it with my Ranger. You would definitely need a 4x4 to reach Norton lake. I would suggest having a high clearance vehicle but 4x4 isn't necessary for the Indian Arm and Hixon FSR. I think Hixon was actually in better shape than the Indian Arm. I'm going back in the area next week so i'll post a more detailed description with pictures. My original plan was to summit Bonnycastle and make my way to Meslillooet along the ridge but I got caught in heavy rain half way up and turned around. Ill post a trip report next week when I get it done.
StevenSong likes this.

Last edited by Dane; 09-20-2016 at 12:05 AM.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:17 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT View Post
Is exporting LNG a good idea? I'm curious what people think.
Leaving aside the pros/cons I'd say anytime Indonesian oligarchs get involved it's very interesting. What's fascinating is that APP (Asia Pulp & Paper) owned by the Widjaya family, owns Howe Sound Pulp & Paper. Their deadly rivals, APRIL, are the group which own Woodfibre LNG. I think the economics of the project are poor given low gas prices, small scale and huge run-up in power prices from BC Hydro over the last few years. Saying that debt in China is very cheap... get a few hundred mil from a Chinese bank at low interest rates, build your LNG plant, siphon off the rest of the cash into a myriad a holding companies (*cough cough*, HSPP), who cares what happens in Canada but at least you can keep an eye on what the Widjayas are up to. Otherwise I just don't get it.

My 2 cents, not trying to start a CT flame war but there are many layers to this particular onion.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
The road was good the whole way. There's a few cross ditch on the Indian Arm FSR which I crossed easily with my stock Ranger. I can't seem to remember how deep they were... a low clearance vehicle might make it but i'm not sure. I drove many logging roads these last 2 months and i'm getting a little confused. But I know that it's in way better condition than the Mamquam FSR. They are working on a few sections of the Indian Arm FSR and for some reason they park their pick up truck right in the middle of the road but they got out of the way when I showed up, i guess they don't see a lot people during week days. I also tried driving up to Norton Lake and the road was extremely rough so I decided to turn around. I think I could of made it with my Ranger. You would definitely need a 4x4 to reach Norton lake. I would suggest having a high clearance vehicle but 4x4 isn't necessary for the Indian Arm and Hixon FSR. I think Hixon was actually in better shape than the Indian Arm. I'm going back in the area next week so i'll post a more detailed description with pictures. My original plan was to summit Bonnycastle and make my way to Meslillooet along the ridge but I got caught in heavy rain half way up and turned around. Ill post a trip report next week when I get it done.
Excellent Dane. Thanks for the info. Pretty sure I'll be going for Bonnycastle soon then. The road is good, it's time to tick it down.

Ascended Dunkeld and Meslilloet last week and had no problem driving my 4x4 up the Mamquam Main so I think I should be fine with the Indian Arm too.. By the way, your trip report (Gillespie/Seed) inspired me to get into that general area recently and thanks a lot for that!
Dane likes this.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
*** and for some reason they park their pick up truck right in the middle of the road but they got out of the way when I showed up ***
Utterly intentional, totally right thing to do. Nice and visible, wasn't it?

They have these little squishy bodies when out of their truck, and given how fast/recklessly some drive those roads they rather like a big barrier with flashing lights in place that forces you to notice.
Big Ian likes this.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:18 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Just got back from a day-trip up Mt. Bonnycastle from Hixon Creek FSR and Barnes Lake. Traversed the peak (up SE Ridge and down SW Ridge).

The main Indian River FSR is in "Okay" shape. By BC standard it's fairly smooth sailing, but rough with lots of rocks and many waterbars. Not many potholes but a few waterbars are quite deep. You'd need a high clearance vehicle or being a really good driver.. Jeep Grand Cherokee did it no problem.

Hixon Creek FSR was in good shape until the Norton Lake junction. Beyond the junction it was rough and very rocky, but not many other type of challenges. Jeep handled it fine. I parked 1 km from the gate (mainly because I spotted a nice parking spot and I was afraid it'd be hard to turn around further). Could drive all the way to the end if needed.
Dane likes this.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
The main Indian River FSR is in "Okay" shape. By BC standard it's fairly smooth sailing, but rough with lots of rocks and many waterbars. Not many potholes but a few waterbars are quite deep. You'd need a high clearance vehicle or being a really good driver.. Jeep Grand Cherokee did it no problem.
I biked from Indian Arm to Squamish in July, and we met a variety of stock vehicles (Tacoma, 4Runner, CRV) that were having no issues on the FSR.

With the ever more prevalent rains at this time of year, water flowing in some of the bigger cross ditches would be a bigger issue than the road surface itself.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
Just got back from a day-trip up Mt. Bonnycastle from Hixon Creek FSR and Barnes Lake. Traversed the peak (up SE Ridge and down SW Ridge).

Hixon Creek FSR was in good shape until the Norton Lake junction. Beyond the junction it was rough and very rocky, but not many other type of challenges. Jeep handled it fine. I parked 1 km from the gate (mainly because I spotted a nice parking spot and I was afraid it'd be hard to turn around further). Could drive all the way to the end if needed.
I'm curious to know how long it took you to traverse the peak car to car? I'm back in town this week and will be heading up there.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
I'm curious to know how long it took you to traverse the peak car to car? I'm back in town this week and will be heading up there.
I went for a modest pace, steady but didn't push. A bit less than 10 hours with lots of wondering and stops along the way. Really bad bush at the start but not too bad higher up. Once crossing the creek below the waterfall I ascended parallel to the creek and then went for climber's left to break a bluff above (which I think was probably less bushier than following the creek all the way up). Trip report will have to wait unfortunately as I'm super busy in these days...
Dane likes this.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Bass, bike, hike

Re-posting.

Has anyone been up there in 2018?

nili illegitum carborundum

Last edited by Michel; 05-08-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #45 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:56 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Indian Arm FSR on bike

Drove from Squamish last weekend to about east of Mt Habrich, snow started at some 750 m and continued for 4km over the pass down to pass the first bridge over Indian river. Every single creek crossing the road was washout, some 10-15m wide and several meters deep. Not passable on dirt bike but we were able to carry MTB bikes over the washouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	509061E2-3615-4F45-B5E4-622259473EBA.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	948.9 KB
ID:	251833  

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC70F850-A89A-4558-94CF-FE4E4D31452C.jpg (2.18 MB, 125 views)
dmitrym likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page