Well marked early spring trails - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Well marked early spring trails

Hey! I'm looking for suggestions on some good trails for a 1 or 2 night trip end of March/beginning of April. Anything in the lower mainland/ chilliwack area would be great. I'm good for any level of difficulty and snow. My only concern is finding a well marked trail that's easy to navigate if there's snow all over. Are there any trails you'd recommend that are well used/easy to navigate in the winter? I was interested in mt macfarlane but have never done it before, is it well marked? Thanks for any and all feedback!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Macfarlane is poorly marked when there is a lot of snow on the ground, as are most of the trails in the Fraser valley.

Elk mountain is pretty well marked and a busy trail, it can get a bit vague if you carry on to Thurston in deep snow.

Scott

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dee k

Hey! I'm looking for suggestions on some good trails for a 1 or 2 night trip end of March/beginning of April. Anything in the lower mainland/ chilliwack area would be great. I'm good for any level of difficulty and snow. My only concern is finding a well marked trail that's easy to navigate if there's snow all over. Are there any trails you'd recommend that are well used/easy to navigate in the winter? I was interested in mt macfarlane but have never done it before, is it well marked? Thanks for any and all feedback!!!
best to aquire GPS tracks for anything you have in mind. Many are sparsely marked nd many have a lot of blowdown to deal with in the spring. manning offers some enjoyable spring trips.
I would say MCfarlane is difficult with oovernighters, its a bit of a trek.
try out laughington ridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look into those suggestions unfortunately no gps for me at this point but hopefully I'll be able to get one for future trips. I have a lot of experience snowshoeing on difficult terrain but maybe I'll postpone macfarlane till a later date as my sense of direction (or lack thereof) and lack of a gps would be an issue!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

HSCT springs to mind.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 PM
RGB
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by splitboarder

HSCT springs to mind.
Not the best marked trail without snow. Considering it's mostly ridge walking at high elevations, maybe not the best for March/April.

In Golden Ears PP could try Gold Creek (east side road/trail) and aim for Hector Ferguson Lake. Lots of nice camping spots by the creek. Snow maybe at higher elevations the further north you go. You'd have it to yourself likely.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...goldenears.pdf
But get a better map if you go.

See this TR from last year March 17.
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=56356
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

HSCT is a great trail, but not in early spring if you don't know it well and are comfortable with steep snow. More crampon/axe territory than snowshoes. Leave that one until later.
Manning, Manning, Manning. As good as it gets. If you haven't done it yet don't waste your time on lesser trails, Manning is truly great.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

HSCT? You're joking, right?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 AM
Headed for the Mountains

People get into trouble in the middle of August up there. Some have never returned!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RGB

Quote:

HSCT springs to mind.
Not the best marked trail without snow. Considering it's mostly ridge walking at high elevations, maybe not the best for March/April.

In Golden Ears PP could try Gold Creek (east side road/trail) and aim for Hector Ferguson Lake. Lots of nice camping spots by the creek. Snow maybe at higher elevations the further north you go. You'd have it to yourself likely.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...goldenears.pdf
But get a better map if you go.

See this TR from last year March 17.
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=56356

Thanks RGB! I was originally looking into golden ears but as there are so many trails I was at a bit of a loss as to which ones to look into- I'll check into that one!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck

HSCT is a great trail, but not in early spring if you don't know it well and are comfortable with steep snow. More crampon/axe territory than snowshoes. Leave that one until later.
Manning, Manning, Manning. As good as it gets. If you haven't done it yet don't waste your time on lesser trails, Manning is truly great.

Good to know I've heard some incredible things about manning as well. I've mainly spent my time in garabaldi area. Are there any areas/trails in particular you'd recommend for spring in manning?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Depends on how early you go, and what the conditions this year are. Fat Dog (Cambie Creek) is well traveled so will be easy to follow, pleasant, low avy risk. Not none though, you have a few clues about avy safety I hope.
Another that comes to mind is the north end of the HSCT, up to Deeks Lake. Multiple day trips from there are possible, Windsor is nice. The rest of the HSCT is not well marked or travelled. Garibaldi Lake is nice, and not even Mr Bean could get lost there.
Late March/early April is still full-on winter above 800-900 meters. That is what you had in mind, right?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Fair points, I never had an issue navigating the HSCT to Unneccessary and out Paul Binkert (South to North), but I suppose its true that after St. Marks the flagging isn't great. And icy slopes can make it dangerous.

I'll go with the clubtread consensus and remove this as a recommendation.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck

Depends on how early you go, and what the conditions this year are. Fat Dog (Cambie Creek) is well traveled so will be easy to follow, pleasant, low avy risk. Not none though, you have a few clues about avy safety I hope.
Another that comes to mind is the north end of the HSCT, up to Deeks Lake. Multiple day trips from there are possible, Windsor is nice. The rest of the HSCT is not well marked or travelled. Garibaldi Lake is nice, and not even Mr Bean could get lost there.
Late March/early April is still full-on winter above 800-900 meters. That is what you had in mind, right?
Yeah I'm all good with full on winter I live above 2000 meters and do have a bit of avy knowledge as I spend time snowboarding in the backcountry (definitely not an expert though!)Trying to play it safe on this one as I'd like to go somewhere I haven't been before and it'll be a solo go. It's my goal to make it out on 1 or 2 nighters in new places as often as possible this year, so I appreciate all the suggestions! Garabaldi area is always a fall back for me as I know that area well, and I always have my "backyard" as I live in the mountains, if it's better to wait for the trails to be a little more obvious. Hopefully I'll get around to them all!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:

Fair points, I never had an issue navigating the HSCT to Unneccessary and out Paul Binkert (South to North), but I suppose its true that after St. Marks the flagging isn't ideal. Its been a low snow year to date so many of the markings buried might be in sight.

But I'll go with the clubtread consensus and remove this as a recco.
Thanks anyways I'm actually wanting to try out a bunch of new places this year so I'll maybe give this one a go a bit later in the season when I have a gps or when my terrible sense of direction is aided by markers or a worn trail!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page