"Friendly Rivalry" North Shore News, Jan. 22/14 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
RGB
Banned

Default "Friendly Rivalry" North Shore News, Jan. 22/14

Article about a trail building "contest" on on the north shore, between Arc'teryx and MEC.
Copy of article here may be too small to read. To see the article online go to http://www.nsnews.com/news and click on Digital Edition and search for North Shore News, January 22 2014, page 21. (Coincidentally the same issue as for Tim Jones cover.)

I'm not the only one wondering the need for this contest. And what it says about the sustainability and environmental policies of these two organizations. MEC on its website says:
Quote:
quote:As a business – and as people – we operate with integrity and show respect for each other and the environment.

We strive to make great products that lessen our impact on the environment ...
Actions speak louder than words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

An eroded trail won't fix or rebuild itself.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

What an absolutely silly and ridiculous thing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Not sure why it's silly or ridiculous? From the MEC Blog of the event:

Small pink squares flag our route, marking the switchbacks of what will become the Skid Road re-route. When the re-route is done, it'll be a multi-purpose trail and a sustainable solution to the old Skid Road, an eroded trail leftover from forestry days. Back then, things like water diversion and long-term use weren't part of trail building – not the case on the Shore anymore. Now trails are made to last, while keeping the forest experience and treading as lightly as possible. Attention to environmental care and sustainable trail building practices are key to the NSMBA.

Crew with fire rakes start clearing a 2.5ft. corridor of logs, salal and branches, sticking to Mark's “keep it tight, keep it right” philosophy. Following behind are people with McLeods, pulling back more duff to expose what we're hunting for: North Shore gold. This golden-coloured mineral soil sheds water and packs down hard, so it's prime trail material. In some spots, we uncover platinum-coloured soil, evidence of ashy deposits from a forest fire. In other spots, the duff doesn't reveal anything but more duff. We grub and scrounge for rocks to fill these spaces so that the trail can support hikers, bikers, dog walkers and trail runners without dissolving into mud.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Summit Master

Not sure what's so wrong here. Unless I'm missing something it's a replacement multi-use trail. Replacing an older eroded trail that was also multi-use. I hiked up a trail next to it this weekend while going up fromme on sat after Tim's ceremony and the trail looks good - but then everything is so dry right now I suppose

Remember reading something about this on either the MEC or Arcteryx webpages where the companies gave the employees a paid day to volunteer time on outdoor volunteer activities. IMO that reflects well on both MEC and Arc'teryx.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Considering how many people have worked at both MEC and Arcteryx I think Friendly rivalry is a good way to get these two groups with their vast volunteer resources together to build a sustainable trail.

Puts more fun into too when one can say they built slightly more then the other.

Seems like a win win to me.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I'm not sure what part of this doesn't make sense. Trail building is very important to the health of popular backcountry destinations. Good trails mean that people use the trails which means that they don't trounce through the forest and destroy the vegetation. Remote areas work okay with people forging their own trails, but not places that see lots of users.

Trailbuilding is only bad if you think people should stay out of the wilderness. That's a legitimate point of view, but it has its issues and it's not common on a website devoted to reports of trips into the said wilderness.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LeeL

Not sure what's so wrong here. Unless I'm missing something it's a replacement multi-use trail. Replacing an older eroded trail that was also multi-use. I hiked up a trail next to it this weekend while going up fromme on sat after Tim's ceremony and the trail looks good - but then everything is so dry right now I suppose

Remember reading something about this on either the MEC or Arcteryx webpages where the companies gave the employees a paid day to volunteer time on outdoor volunteer activities. IMO that reflects well on both MEC and Arc'teryx.

If my employer paid me to volunteer, I would volunteer every day. [:P]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

That whole "ZOMG MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDERS ARE AS BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AS THE TARSANDS" shit is so played out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
[br
I agree.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kid Charlemagne

Quote:

...the companies gave the employees a paid day to volunteer time on outdoor volunteer activities...
If my employer paid me to volunteer, I would volunteer every day. [:P]
One meaning of the word volunteer is that you don't get paid for what you do. Another meaning of the word is that the people doing the job have chosen to do the job instead of being ordered to (e.g. a volunteer army versus a conscripted one). This is the second meaning here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page