Gambier island trails - conditions - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Gambier island trails - conditions

I am wondering if anyone has hiked the trail from muskeg lake to damsoon lake in the past year. I see that the trail is closed due to an unsafe bridge, but am curious as to the trail itself.

Does anyone know it's current state?

http://www.gambierc.ca/map.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Haven't been up there for years but have hiked most of Gambier. If you head up that way, and fancy someone tagging along, message me. I am over in the Gibsons area. Wouldn't mind a jaunt up Damsoon.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Its been a few years since I have hiked on Gambier, but when I did Mt Lidell the trail past Muskeg Lake was getting pretty overgrown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: mountaineering, backcountry skiing (telemark), rock climbing, search and rescue volunteer

I hiked al of those trails in the 80s and they were overgrown then. They were old logging roads most of them, so you should still be able to find them.

Don't even know why I am posting... so much has changed... just nostalgic, I used to be a camp councillor at Latona.

Damsoon was named for three of the campers in the 70's -- Doyle was one of them I think.
There was a direct overland route from Douglas Bay to Latona that passes through an old mining camp.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Summit Master

That map, and corresponding site, is very good resource. I've been only on Killam, but an awesome weekend ~late spring could be:

Sat: water-taxi to Camp Fircom, hike over Mt. Artaban to Brigade Bay and continue 'inland' to Lost Lake. Camp
Sun: Lost Lake to Gambier Lake - optional ascent of Mt. Liddel - hike out to New Brigton and catch ferry to Langsdale/Horseshoe Bay

This is assuming one could find a spot to pitch tent at Lost Lake. I know people camp at Gambier Lake
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Have not tried out the west approach, which I understand is very overgrown and precarious.

But two years ago we did some trail clearing and marking of the trail from Gambier Lake towards (but not all the way to) Damsoon Lake, and then beyond to Mt Liddell.

Assuming that nothing has grown back, and the tape remains in place (double-HA!), that trail should be in reasonably good shape and is worth doing (along with the rest of Gambier: it's a very under-rated green mossy hiking paradise).

http://www.clubfatass.com/blog/david...trail-clearing
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Thinking about our trip there a long time ago. We were doing some forest inventory survey work on the northwest side of gambier lake and compassed our way up there in our caulk boots. As a bushwhack, I don't recall it being too bad if a bit steep. We just used an airphoto and compassed off an obvious landform feature. It was really nice up there.

Might try that agsin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page