Car Break Ins - Rubble Creek - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Car Break Ins - Rubble Creek

Hello All:

Just wanted to warn you that today at least three cars were vandalized at Garibaldi Lake (Rubble Creek) parking lot. A brand new car that I just bought 1 week ago had both tires slashed and the passenger window smashed. When I arrived this morning at 4:45am there was one other car in the parking lot. I went up to Black Tusk and then to the Lake - was back to the parking at around 11:30. I received a call when I was on my way down from the Squamish RCMP. When I got back the other car that was parked next to me was gone. Likely that person called it in and also reported my license plate. There is still a car parked almost in the middle of the road (near the Sea to Sky Retreat turoff with all four tires slashed and windows smashed with Ontario plates. We're trying to figure out how that is since the person didn't park there obviously where it is in the middle of the road. It could be that the person's car was at the trailhead parking lot and they tried to drive home, however realizing that they would ruin their wheels if they continued but the strange thing is that part of the contents of the car are by the side of the car so it wouldn't make sense for the owner of the car to do that, unless the person that actually did the damage - it's their car and as they were taking off, they ran out of gas or something else went wrong and they made it look like it was vandalized. Anyway I'm providing all this to the RCMP in the hopes that this is the case they nail this person!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Summit Master

shitty deal
Welcome back !
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Wow,that sucks What a shitty way to start the year off Hope they catch the goofs!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

Wow,that sucks What a shitty way to start the year off Hope they catch the goofs!!!!
Yeah really crappy - just got an update from the RCMP, looks like the car that was in the middle of the road was reported. Now I wonder if the car that I saw this morning parked next to me had people in it, just waiting or worse yet, could the people doing this actually be hikers? Or maybe someone is just really angry.... About a week ago, I had written a few happy faces in the snow on the end of logs including "ubishops" and they completely destroyed them on purpose - all 3 times!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

It's extremely frustrating to hear that they are slashing tires. I'd like to see these people charged with reckless endangerment in addition to vandalism and theft.

P.S. What does the lake look like? Fully frozen with a bit of snow on top?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

It's extremely frustrating to hear that they are slashing tires. I'd like to see these people charged with reckless endangerment in addition to vandalism and theft.

Lake seems to be frozen with a thin layer of snow. Not sure I'd walk in the middle though as you can see some open spots

Yeah, enough is enough - you know it's the same people doing this and the police don't seem to want to do anything about it. They have a sign to not leave valuables in your car - that's not solving the problem (It's actually the dumbest thing I ever heard of since the problem is the damage to the car - most people have to pay a $300 deducable for the damage which is much more than anyone would realistically leave in their car to begin with! The problem is the damage to the car not its contents. They could easily do a few stakeouts, put a bait car, or have a camera installed. They may think it's small but if you add up the number of years this has been going on, I'm sure it's 10s of thousands of dollars.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

I am sorry to hear your car was damaged.

I know how active you are, and how often you go to those nearby places. This is your playground and now, whenever you go you won't be relaxed.

Crap like this is basically pushing you to go further from Wedgemount, Diamond Head, Rubble Creek and Duffy.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ubishops

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

could the people doing this actually be hikers?
I wouldn't be surprised. No one really knows the personality of the people you meet on the trails.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, scrambling, running

It's probably still a little safer to do Rubble Creek in the summer when the parking lots

are full, because there would be a better chance of someone hiding in a car or in the bush

to nab the guy.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Summit Master

While it's tempting to assume the RCMP are doing nothing about this, that isn't true. About a week ago I was at the Diamond Head parking lot when someone rolled in and parked to talk to me. It was an RCMP patrol.

The officer described a scenario that had never occurred to me. The people breaking into cars at trailheads can stay there for some time, pretending to be preparing to leave to go hiking/whatever, or preparing to go home. They just look busy, tying boots etc. while there are people in the parking lot, then do their deeds when there's no one left in the lot.

So if you notice this pattern of behavior, please get their license plate number. If you're wrong about the party, nothing will come of it. But if it's a number the RCMP are tracking, it may be the needed break.

While we were talking, a couple running on tiny snowshoes entered the conversation. It turned out they had left wallets, cellphones etc. in their car. Just too heavy to carry for a critically timed run, I suppose. As I've said repeatedly, would people please stop leaving such things in their cars. Not only does it encourage the thieves to keep breaking into cars containing valuables, but it encourages them to break into mine even though they won't find anything.

The slashed tires suggests there is more to this than kleptomaniacs or people desperate to generate cash. There may be an element of anger/resentment about a whole complex of stuff such as environmentalism, city elites keeping the locals from motorized use of Garibaldi Park etc.

What can you do?
1. Don't leave valuables in your car.
2. Install a car alarm that has a loud horn
3. Have comprehensive insurance on your car so that ICBC is impacted and gains an interest in this problem.
4. Buy a cheap fabric long rifle case and leave it draped in plain sight, or a hard case and leave it open in the car.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

Lake seems to be frozen with a thin layer of snow. Not sure I'd walk in the middle though as you can see some open spots

Yeah, enough is enough - you know it's the same people doing this and the police don't seem to want to do anything about it.
Now, that's more like it! Nice to have you back posting. I really like your TR's, you've been an excellent source of trail and backcountry info and some of your pics have been real keepers. many thanks. Question: did my old canister of bear spray, which you found at Rohr lake trail, actually work? Just wondering as i have another ancient unit and am not sure it it will fire up.

Sadly, every area has its neanderthal, knuckle dragging clowns and it's despairing to see this criminal vandalism continue on the sea-to-sky. It's one of the reasons we hang on to a much older 4X4, well-maintained mind you. If it gets trashed, my buddy and I just patch it up in his shop. It just sucks to have a new vehicle trashed by some dick head.

Best to have locking gas caps too. Years ago, I caught some punks pouring dirt into a guys gas pipe, Chased the little bastards as they ran back to their motorbike.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Raw deal for sure, the buggers!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:[i] Question: did my old canister of bear spray, which you found at Rohr lake trail, actually work? Just wondering as i have another ancient unit and am not sure it it will fire up.
Thanks! Yeah I still have it and it works. I actually used it once this summer on the Russet Lake trail when a bear kept approaching me as I walked backwards. I was too far away but I think the odour was enough for it to run off into the bushes (and yeah it's a horrid smell as I got some on my backback and months later it still stinks!). The expiry date on it is 1994 though lol. I still have it but also bought a new one.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Ubishops

Good to see another fine report with great pictures. I am disgusted with those lowlife's that steal and/or vandalize cars for no real purpose other what could be pleasure or some perceived grievance.

Hope these buggers get caught by a citizen's group and have them trussed up in the trees.

K
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Quote:
quote:[i] Question: did my old canister of bear spray, which you found at Rohr lake trail, actually work? Just wondering as i have another ancient unit and am not sure it it will fire up.
Thanks! Yeah I still have it and it works. I actually used it once this summer on the Russet Lake trail when a bear kept approaching me as I walked backwards. I was too far away but I think the odour was enough for it to run off into the bushes (and yeah it's a horrid smell as I got some on my backback and months later it still stinks!). The expiry date on it is 1994 though lol. I still have it but also bought a new one.
Hilarious! 1994? Whoa, man time flies.LOL. That bear spray canister was in my engineers vest for 10 years, till 2001, while I was surveying, timber cruising and engineering on the north and mid coast. I actually used it to deter a huge grizzly on a road survey in a place called Twin Creeks, west of Bella Coola. My backup was a winchester defender shotgun, which I thankfully never had to use, because of that canister of bear spray ... Nice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page