Which flexible crampons? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Which flexible crampons?

Hey y'all,

I need to pick up some flexible crampons to fit my size 46 La Sportiva Omega GTXs (stiffer than average hiking boots... But still hiking boots). They're going to be used for some hard packed snow slopes and some easy glacier travel (certainly no ice climbing). I'm leaning towards...

Grivel G10
http://www.mec.ca/product/5002-928/g...with-antibott/

Camp Stalker
http://www.mec.ca/product/5007-371/c...alker-crampon/

I'd like to be able to get them at mec as I have a gift card. Anybody have any experience with either of these? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I have the La Sportiva Nepal Evo and use the Grivel Air, they work very well and are nice and secure. But you need to have front and rear welts on sole for them to fit properly.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5002-929/g...=10&q=crampons
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I like to mostly hike and snowshoe. Mountain biking, kayaking and adventure racing are some other things I spend my time doing.

I have the same boots and use these black diamond contact stainless ones from MEC. They are a good all round crampon. Never done any ice climbing with them.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hello!

I don't think it really matters for hiking. Get the ones that fit your boot the best and are the lightest.

In my head I like the grivel antibot but people around me with BD, which is flat, don't get any snow stuck either.

Keep any of them sharp with a file and learn to put them on quickly.

Consider aluminum: based on your frequency of use and terrain might be a better choice?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by highfalls

I have the same boots and use these black diamond contact stainless ones from MEC. They are a good all round crampon. Never done any ice climbing with them.

Mark
^^ Echoed.

-Ryan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I'm partial to the Petzl Charlet company and their Sarken series of crampons. The Sarken series has front points that are a combination of vertical for ice and horizontal for snow. As well the Sarken series comes in several different configurations for attaching them to any boot style. For winter, I prefer a stiffish boot that has both front and rear welts, so the Sarken Lever-lock FIL is my choice. They fit tight enough and are aggressive enough that I can use them on steep ice sections, yet with the anti-balling plates, they are a great general crampon for snow and glacier travel. Also, they're light in weight and compact to pack away.

In the past, I bought crampons (and ice axes) that were specific to ice climbing and others for general mountaineering. When I realized that the ice climbing and it's specific gear was only good for sport and not for general mountaineering and that most general mountaineering axes & crampons don't work well on vertical ice, I sought out gear that would work in all environs. I'm not "sporty" anymore, but would not like to get turned back on a trip, due to a short bit of technical ice. Hence my choice of Sarken Lever-lock crampons.

Ice axes for both general and technical?... another topic.

Peter
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Just wanted to add that I have the Camp Stalker for general mountaineering but I have successfully done both vertical ice climbing and mixed climbing with them with no issues.

I'm sure the more expensive models would work better for vertical but these worked just fine for me. My boots are an old pair of Mammut leather backpacking style boots which are fairly rigid.

Bring your boots into the store to ensure they fit. The heel on the Stalker set is very narrow.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JoshNV

Just wanted to add that I have the Camp Stalker for general mountaineering but I have successfully done both vertical ice climbing and mixed climbing with them with no issues.

I'm sure the more expensive models would work better for vertical but these worked just fine for me. My boots are an old pair of Mammut leather backpacking style boots which are fairly rigid.

Bring your boots into the store to ensure they fit. The heel on the Stalker set is very narrow.
The Camp Stalker is the bare minimum for very basic mountaineering imo. The Camp Stalker and leather backpacking boots is totally inappropriate for vertical ice and pretty lousy for mixed climbing as well. The fact that you feel you've had some measure of success with that combination doesn't justify endorsing it for vertical ice.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Off the Beaten Path

The boot matters more than the crampons, unless you get aluminum ones and then you're SOL on ice.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

I have used the bd contact strap for vertical ice and they seem to work just fine too!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Summit Master

Back to the topic, the dude wants them for snow and easy glacier travel not to solo Sea of Vapours. I know from experience the grivels will work well, I've even used them on approach shoes. No first hand knowledge of the other ones. The built in anti-bot is handy.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Should've updated this, but I went right on to my trip after I bought them. I went with the BD Contacts, they've been outstanding. Mainly I bought them because it seemed like they offered the greatest versatility -- I could use them with a general mountaineering boot as well as potentially with my Omega GTXs. It always blows my mind when I put crampons on after a while just how well they work! With a little downward force they can just glue you to the ice.

Anyways, thanks for all the input you guys. In my opinion, if anybody else is in this thread, the BD Contacts are the way to go. Spend the extra $20 -- I like them more than the G10s I tried a while ago (though I understand this is a personal preference thing too).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page