New Trail Horseshoe Bay to Sunset Trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default New Trail Horseshoe Bay to Sunset Trail

Hi, I just want to announce a new trail I have built. It is a connector trail between the Baden Powell (in the section starting from Horseshoe Bay going up to Eagle bluff) and the Sunset Trail on the Howe Sound. The elevation is about 500 meters throughout, within about plus minus 50 meters.
The southern trailhead is (beyond where the road ends) right at the second occurrence of a rubble uphill followed by a sharp right turn onto a flat section of the BP, marked with a tri-colored branch.

Go straight into the bush across from the tapes at the corner instead of turning right for the BP. Trail is easily found within 20 ft.

The northern trailhead is just above the 500 meter mark on Sunset trail, about half way between the blowdown and the viewpoint. Again, I marked it with a tri-colored stick.

Angle south and slightly down, you will find markers starting on the other side of a log that you have to duck under.

It is still a ROUGH trail, in places there has been no trail bed put in, and some of the creek crossings are quite interesting / impassible in winter and spring. It is fairly well flagged with pink tape: if you can't see a tape you are off course. I need a few more trips to complete things like cutting/chopping some logs and brushing some sections. I have chosen not to use any powered tools at all for this, although I confess to wishing for Dru's D9 at times. Others users can do as they wish. As well, no GPS or altimeter was used: I followed natural contours, game trails, and some luck to thread above and below numerous bluffs and obstacles along the way. There are some peak-a-boo view points, but I could not find any clear view spots along the way.

This has been a rainy day project that I started a couple of years ago. I guess I have put in a bit more than a dozen days. This past weekend I just completed my first Black Mtn loop by going from Whyte Lake parking up to TCT outhouse, up to Black peak through the trees, down BP to Yew Lake, down Sunset to this trail, across to BP again and down to Whyte Lake. Lots of variations possible, seems like a nice loop for trail runners (esp if they stay on TCT to Cypress Bowl.)

There is also a flagged connector to the Ansell Place water tower. I noticed last spring that NSR was trying to get up to some gear placed up high: probably would have been easier with this trail.

I've built this by myself other than one day of great help from my buddy Sean. Enjoy and be safe, I take no responsibility whatsoever. Cell coverage is good. The trail is probably less than 4 km long, but will take at least an hour with current conditions (not including getting to and from the trailheads.)

Sorry, no GPS mapping- I will leave that to the experts.
Dac-van likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

Sweet! I'll check it out this Fall
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldmatt

I take no responsibility whatsoever.
Interesting statement. What exactly do you mean? That you take no responsibility for other's stupidity or acts of Dog? More likely no one feels in any way responsible other than you.

I'd thought this was a good project for some time. I'm glad someone got it started. Did you see or hear the endangered frog at any time? Its existence was documented as part of the environmental survey for the highway improvement project. Some care was taken not to cause a change in groundwater levels that would have drained its habitat. Just wondering if the species has survived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I offer the trail, mostly on crown land, for anyone's free use. I dont offer any warranty on safety or enjoyment or act of stupidity. (not that I am worth suing anyways)

I believe the frog issue was located at the part of the BP where the trail coming from the old highway parking lot crosses under the new highway. I have not seen a frog there, but I seldom pass through that point. The connector trail landscape is way too steep and pond-less for frogs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks! [^]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for the excellent work! Looking forward to tasting that trail sometime.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Tailed frogs don't need ponds. They are often found in steep streams.

Biologist protip: the "tail" is actually a penis.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Tailed frogs ... the "tail" is actually a penis.
Do they lose their tails like salamanders? So, you pick it up and it comes off in your hand? I guess that's called a hand job. Don't try it at home.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thank you for blazing this trail, Matt. I will check it out in the fall and bring my GPS.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

thanks Martin, looking forward to seeing if my guesses on GE are correct.
I will see if I can get some more work done on it(weather depending)
tailed frogs notwithstanding
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

There is a connector trail up higher from Sunset to Black mountain built a few years ago. Just mentioning it for loop considerations. Could be a nice loop from Cypress bowl with a few configurations possible, or from Hwy 99 loop the new trail, up Sunset, along the old new trail to Black, down the BP.

Can you (oldmatt) describe the relationship between your new trail and the aforementioned connector from Sunset to Blak Mountain? What time between them on Sunset?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

hi alexcanuck
I didn't know about there being another trail/route up higher. I talked to one guy about 10 years ago who said he had put in a route from Cabin Lake to Sunset trail, but I have never found it. There are only two ridges that I know of coming off Black towards the NW and to Sunset trail: both are steep, bushy and no trail. Do you have more info on the trail?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I'd have to hike Sunset to recognize it. I'm thinking about 7-800 meters elevation, shortly before the steepness lessens a bit and the traverse left becomes evident. It was at least five years ago, without upkeep or much traffic it'll be very faint by now.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hiked/ran it today south to north and really enjoyed your work, thank you oldmatt!
Probably some more effort required along the blueberry bushes between the second and third creek crossings, but it's such a natural and convenient trail.
I loved how I had to quickly get used to not expecting solid wood when stepping on logs - every time my foot sank into dead, rotten wood I felt like going hundreds of years down a time tunnel.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Seven,
Welcome to the site and great to hear you enjoyed the trail. That bushy section hasn't had any work done yet, I'm waiting for wet season.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page