Paradise Trail, S. Chilcotins - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking / backpacking, running, cycling - off road & on, canoeing, rollerblading, snowshoeing, bike trips, westy trips, yoga, reading, writing
Default Paradise Trail, S. Chilcotins

Has anyone been up there in the past year? (I'm referring to Paradise Creek valley, not Little Paradise one valley up) I haven't been up there since '07 and am wondering if the two low bridges on the Paradise - Mud Ck FSR are still intact? Is the trail seeing much use? When I last saw it it was in good shape but am wondering if the area near the trailhead has bushed in. Am planning to head up there later July with some friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Trudel. We were in there last fall and the bridges had been pulled. There was a crew working on the first bridge site but we couldn't get and answer as to whether the bridge would be replaced.

Quads were going through the creek; bicycles worked fine. The road was in excellent shape...just two bridges missing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

If quads were going through, then you can still probably drive through if you have a good 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking / backpacking, running, cycling - off road & on, canoeing, rollerblading, snowshoeing, bike trips, westy trips, yoga, reading, writing

We have a Ford F350 4x4, diesel, standard, full crew, long box. I recall those creeks were pretty low bank, we should be able to make it with that, you think?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

At the time, it didn't look like a long vehicle like that would be the ticket. As well, there was some rockwork going on in a mudbath of broken timber that didn't look to be confidence inspiring. Finally, it was off camber. We didn't try it in our Tacoma and that thing swims with the lockers on, so you can let us know how it goes . The quads were floating over the mess quite comfortably on their low pressure fat tires....

I'd just toss the mountain bikes in the back, wade across and come back to the bikes when able...if the bridges were not replaced.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Trudel: Dale Douglas at Tyax Air would know what the current situation is. Shoot him an email...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:2013.06.14 Donna Heinrich - Water bars:
2 foot deep trenches on hill down to Tyaughton camp needing hi clearance and better to have 4x4 when road wet. Only drove as far as upper Tyaughton creek trailhead.
Latest report on bivouac.com. Not clear why these would be necessary?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the info. Our truck is very high clearance, but it's very long, 22'. I think we'll just see what they're like when we get there. Worst comes to worst we park and walk. Looks like it's only 3-4 km's to the Paradise trailhead and an hour or so extra walking is no big deal. Or we'll take our bikes along.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trudel

Has anyone been up there in the past year? (I'm referring to Paradise Creek valley, not Little Paradise one valley up) I haven't been up there since '07 and am wondering if the two low bridges on the Paradise - Mud Ck FSR are still intact? Is the trail seeing much use? When I last saw it it was in good shape but am wondering if the area near the trailhead has bushed in. Am planning to head up there later July with some friends.
Hi All, I'm new to the board but a long time lurker. Lots of great info here so time to return the favour.

We were up there this last weekend, and late last fall.
My wife documented the fall trip here:
http://inabits.blogspot.ca/2012/10/a...-paradise.html
(She'll likely write up a blog post from last weekend some point in the future.)

The pile of timbers with the bike in front of it is the remains of the second bridge.

The 2 bridges were taken out in 2010, there is a big warning sign up there with the dates posted on it. The creeks are not drive-able unless you have a very highly modified 4x4, think one of those hill climb machines. Your truck will not get across, I have a similar vehicle and I wouldn't attempt it. A few ATVs have made it through but not many. Right now the creeks are high due to run off.

There is also a big ditch across the road right before the creek crossing.

The first creek has both a log above the creek and a beam partially in the creek so it is relatively easy to cross on foot. The second creek requires wading, on the weekend it was over my knees. You can see in the blog post the second crossing wasn't deep late in the fall as it was below freezing at night.

The trail doesn't see much traffic. Mostly horse I'm guessing. We did see a group of hunters on horseback in the fall.

The trail has recently been cleared of windfall up to the 3rd creek crossing (Paradise creek where there was a big debris flow a bunch of years ago.) You can see a couple of photos of this creek crossing in the blog post above. After that you are heading into the sub-alpine so it is bushy but passable. There are lots of horse bogs prior to the 3rd creek crossing so you WILL get wet feet.

Just a warning, there are LOTS of bears up there, including grizzly. We found grizzly tracks on the road near the first creek crossing and there are piles of bear crap literally every 200 feet on the road all the way to the trail head. We did see a mother grizzly with 2 cubs on the road near the turn off to Taylor Basin on the drive in.

Pic of the tracks:
http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9731081/p4pb9731081.jpg

One other tip, the road past the upper Tyaughton trail head gets very soft and muddy this early in the season. If you head up there make sure you have the ability to get yourself out if you get stuck.

Let me know if you have more questions.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for that thorough reply Craig, much appreciated. We'll probably park down below somewhere and bike the remainder of the way. Creeks should be lower by end July. Yes, we know there's loads of bears in there. Had a bit of an incident in '07 and never ended up going up Paradise Valley because of too much bear activity and it was just the two of us. Back then it was super easy to get our truck right to the trailhead. We've explored every area of the S. Chilcotins over the years from the Slim Valley to Big Creek & Relay and everything in between except this valley and the surrounding peaks of Castle, Cardtable, Relay, Cunningham and Teepee. Nice photos btw, great time of year to be in there. And what a great shot of the bear tracks!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I was previously up there in 2008, but even then the first bridge had a warning sign on it about poor condition, I took a look at it and decided not to chance it with my heavy vehicle so rode from there.

I did get up to the end of the Valley solo, but didn't get up to Castle Pass due to the slow going due to all of the blow down at the time. Being solo I was making a lot of noise the whole way up, and back down.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Well, we've got a week so getting to the end of the valley and having plenty of time to explore the ridges and peaks shouldn't be an issue even if we have to bike part of the FSR. From the S. Chilcotin trail map it looks to be a faster way to get to the Castle / Cardtable / Relay peaks than up the Tyaughton. Though my map does show a route up to Fortress Ridge from they Ty hiking trail, but it looks steeeeep, and then it also doesn't look like you can follow the ridge around Castle toward Cunningham, looks like you have to drop into Paradise. Suggestions, thoughts???
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Perhaps 8 years ago, I did a 3 day trip into Paradise, Little Paradise and Graveyard. I followed the trail from Paradise past Castle and visited Cardtable before returning back thru the Castle pass. I dropped perhaps 100m before turning off-trail and heading SW to the ridge running between Castle and Cunningham. The climb wasn't very steep at all and, once on the ridge, the ramble to Cunningham is easy. Trying to climb up from the pass directly towards Castle would be steep though. I probably hit the ridge 500m west of Castle.

Worth mentioning is that fact that the intersection between the Little Paradise main trail and the branch towards the Graveyard / Little Paradise pass is tricky to find from the Little Paradise trail. I think the other junctions in the area are easy to see.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trudel

Well, we've got a week so getting to the end of the valley and having plenty of time to explore the ridges and peaks shouldn't be an issue even if we have to bike part of the FSR. From the S. Chilcotin trail map it looks to be a faster way to get to the Castle / Cardtable / Relay peaks than up the Tyaughton. Though my map does show a route up to Fortress Ridge from they Ty hiking trail, but it looks steeeeep, and then it also doesn't look like you can follow the ridge around Castle toward Cunningham, looks like you have to drop into Paradise. Suggestions, thoughts???
That Fortress Ridge trail is steep in some parts but not as bad as it looks. It's faint and hard to pick up towards the NW end but pretty normal for that area in terms of routefinding.

Personally I've found getting in via Relay to be pretty fast.

I think there's been some CT reports about the ridgeline walk/scramble Castle-Cunningham-Relay. It looks fine as a ridgewalk and with spectacular views
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for your thoughts lost and LeeL. We've been in via Relay / Graveyard / Little Paradise before, pretty amazing country. The Relay road was pretty tough to handle with the 4Runner we were in at the time, I don't think our monster 22' long Ford F350 could do it, I recall crazy narrow sections where I actually opted to get out of the vehicle and walk. Otherwise I'd be going in via Little Paradise in a heartbeat, that's one of the prettiest valleys I've ever been in. I will share the feedback with the others in the group and see what they want to do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page