ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   10 Day Wilderness Trip in BC (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/45017-10-day-wilderness-trip-bc.html)

juestrin 06-02-2013 08:01 PM

10 Day Wilderness Trip in BC

Hello members of CT. Just discovered this site and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I am looking for the perfect extended wilderness backpacking trip. 10 days would be ideal.
I only have 2 essential requirements for this trip:

1) It must be complete wilderness. The more secluded and away from people the better.
2) Must be accessible by car (I can't afford to be flown in or out).

I don't want something easy either. I'm looking for a trip to push me to my limits. Intense and rugged. High mountains, beautiful scenery, plenty of wildlife (hoping to see a few grizzlys along the way).

Anyone have any suggestions? Done anything similar in the past?

nickl 06-02-2013 09:53 PM

Stein valley should provide what you want!

darrenbell 06-03-2013 03:24 AM

1)Monkman Pass Memorial Trail
2)Kakwa Park

BillyGoat 06-03-2013 09:22 AM

The stein traverse is good if you take some extra time to explore the lovely area between lizzie and tundra lakes. You could also try hiking to Tingle Lake

penguinabc123 06-03-2013 09:42 AM

I did a ten day trip starting at Nigel creek in Banff just off the ice fields parkway. I worked my way towards jasper through maligne lake and back through the skyline trail. It was about 147km and the middle section before maligne lake didn't have many people. I think it's part of the great divide trail. I parked my car in jasper and got a tour bus back to the trailhead.

guntis 06-03-2013 10:28 AM

What time of year?
Spatsizi Plateau maybe? On my list, haven't been myself, but my father has. Beautiful and wild. Or go a bit further west to Mount Edziza Provincial Park. So cool. Very remote. Probably doesn't fit with the cost restriction.

another jeff 06-03-2013 10:44 AM

Circumnavigation of Garibaldi Lake has been done by several CT members, looked very interesting.

no quitting 06-03-2013 10:53 AM

Athabasca Pass trail :)

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=37173

I just noticed the BC part........worth the drive lol

scottN 06-03-2013 01:34 PM

If you are willing to include glacier travel in your trip, I would suggest something around Chilko Lake (Tsy'los provincial park).

juestrin 06-04-2013 01:26 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. You guys just saved me days of research. These look like some pretty promising options. Will definitely look in to them and let you know how it goes!

Sorry I forgot to mention I plan to go in August.

Dru 06-04-2013 03:00 PM

You might like the Charlotte Lake Alplands.
Mt Edziza would be another good choice, but flying in or out is typical.
If comfortable with glacier travel, Ape Lake is a grand basecamp destination.
The South Chilcotin is another great choice if you don't mind seeing the odd horse or mountain biker.

Eryne 06-04-2013 04:41 PM

WOKKPASH!

ph0n3y 06-04-2013 07:29 PM

Alberta mostly...but North Boundary Trail?

zeljkok 06-04-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by ph0n3y

Alberta mostly...but North Boundary Trail?
That is actually excellent idea, fits the timeline & remoteness requirement (the less people, the better). I often come back to this photo-essay. Road accessible from both ends too.

South Boundary is likewise candidate, but to my understanding it is considerably less scenic

BillyGoat 06-04-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

quote:WOKKPASH!
Oh yeah I forgot about that one. That is a fantastic loop trail that could easily be made into a 10 day trip. I have a Trip report here from back when we did it in 2007.