Rockwall, ho! - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

YAY!!! I can SO feel your enthusiasm and excitement!!! It's going to be epic!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Luckily we have some smaller trips planned in the mean time to keep our minds off of it!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Since it's been mentioned, I thought I might as well copy my N/S comments in here:
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rachelo

As this is a one-way horseshoe of a trail, I also had to decide which direction of travel would be better.
I went with North to South, and I think this was definitely the better choice, for a few reasons:

-The highlights of the trip are Helmet Falls, Tumbling Glacier, and Numa Pass/Floe Lake. Probably in the reverse order. North to South saves the best (Floe Lake) for last
-The North trailhead is at a slightly higher elevation, so you have a touch less elevation to gain over the whole trip (People with joint issues or who otherwise prefer to go up than down may consider this a downside instead.)
-The longest and least scenic day (15km of flat and some boredom) is done first, and not left for a drudging end
-Southbound hiking means that you ascend the shady side of all the passes. I didn't think of this ahead of time, but noticed it on the trail, and I think this is actually one of the strongest arguments. When it's hot, as it was for us, that shade for most of the ascent really made a difference.
-Avoid the insane highway-to-Floe and Numa-to-Tumbling ascents which are steep, shadeless, and brutal. I don't know if I'd have made it up these with the sun beating on my back. They're bloody steep..

I'd say the best arguments for south to north are the following:
-Photography - you can capture the south views in the morning before the sun is a problem, and take pictures ahead of you the rest of the day with the sun at your back.
-Ascend, rather than descend the two long steep slopes mentioned in #5 above. Though this trail's not actually really horrible on knees anywhere, due to excellent switchbacks on the steep bits.
-Get some of the steeper climbs out of the way earlier on, when fresher.
I stayed at the Marble Creek campground, and we were really slow to get out the next morning. Nice to not have to pack, though if you only have the short day to the junction, that's not so bad.

Where are you staying before Numa Creek? If it was to get in Numa Mountain, I would definitely stay at Floe Lake the extra day. It's a long trip from Numa Creek to Numa Mountain, while only a nice short one from Floe Lake. Consider 900m to Numa Pass from Numa Creek. 300m Floe Lake to Numa Creek...
Staying the extra day at Floe instead would also let you get the best photospot of the trip despite going N-S. You'd see Floe Lake from the pass first, then the next day, you'd hike back up to Numa Pass in the morning and get the excellent sun-not-in-the-south view and photos then on your way up the mountain. It's also a great hike. I'd happily hike back up the FloeLake-NumaPass trail extra while the NumaCreek-NumaPass is long and not very interesting.
Also, Floe Lake is a spectacular campground.

You can definitely still get good photos. It's not like there isn't anything good that way. Especially if you get up at a reasonable time in the morning and get hiking early, which lets you see many views without the sun straight in the south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Summit Master

Would love to do this trip too but I don't think my knees would be able to take all the up & downs.
I'll be looking forward to your report !!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Where are you staying before Numa Creek? If it was to get in Numa Mountain, I would definitely stay at Floe Lake the extra day. It's a long trip from Numa Creek to Numa Mountain, while only a nice short one from Floe Lake. Consider 900m to Numa Pass from Numa Creek. 300m Floe Lake to Numa Creek...
Oh, shoot.. I thought it was pretty much by the Numa Creek campground.. Might have to skip it, then. I've read that the bugs are worst at the Floe Lake campground, so I opted for 2 nights at Numa (you can have camp fires there as well, always a plus).

Maybe the mosquitoes will be gone by then?

Might be worth changing the reservation.. I'll see if you can do it without getting penalized..

Quote:
quote:Especially if you get up at a reasonable time in the morning and get hiking early, which lets you see many views without the sun straight in the south.
This is the plan.. The kids generally get up early, so no point in lying around. I don't like eating alot before a hike, either, so no big breakfasts.. We'll boil some water for a cup of coffee, a couple trail bars, maybe, and off we go.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

To further muddy your waters Doug, I went S > N but that was mostly a function of using a bike to connect the dots. (The Paint Pots bridge got mangled the following spring). I think it is a coin flip anyway - no clear reason to do it in either direction IMHO.

Floe and Tumbling are the best two campsites if you were to take a rest day, Numa - not so much (down in the trees, but there is a creek to play in). Short wandering opportunities from Floe, can't beat that view from camp but Tumbling would put your break day in the middle of the trip.

http://claytonditzler.zenfolio.com/f979710452
(Sorry, I have yet to annotate this gallery apparently)

In short, it is an amazing trip - don't stress too much over the details. Plan to spend some time up higher away from camp anyway - that's where the best stuff is.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks, Sodbuster..

Like I say, I'll phone tomorrow and see what kind of penalty there would be switching the 2nd night from Numa to Floe.

I mostly did it for the camp fires, which our family enjoys. I might leave it as is, and let the chips fall where they may (especially if they want to ding me).

Nice photos! What kind of camera do you have? Mine's a Canon G 12. It's alright, but I always seem to have to play with exposures levels, etc. when I go to 'process' them on the PC.

What time of year did you go?
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

it would cost about $10.
$10(ish) reservation fee, and the same to change the reservation.

Numa Creek has the fire pits, but it just doesn't have anything else. There's nothing nearby, nothing to hike to, or anything. Even though it's not a bad campground, I wouldn't spend an extra day there, because there just isn't anything to do on that day. Floe lets you do Numa Mountain, and lets you get that best view you were looking for, and lets you do-over one of the best parts of the trail.
For anyone who didn't want to go do the mountain, You can also walk around Floe Lake and check out the hidden extra lake bit in the back, go for a swim, or anything.
It *is* buggy, but I'd just have a full day out, eat early, and then head to my tent.

N - Numa Creek to Pass
F - Floe Lake to Pass
post #24 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:it would cost about $10.
Per camp site, though (3)? I guess I'll see tommorow.

Lord knows I've spent more to undo screw ups (always with reservations, it seems!).

Guess I won't need the pocket saw after all..

Thanks for the map break down!

post #25 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Generally you pay x people multiplied by y nights, plus a single $10 booking fee. Then an additional booking fee to change the booking from anything to anything else.
They just charge you for the work of doing the booking, so it's a flat rate regardless of the peopleage or number of sites.

I'd certainly find the additional view, photo opportunity, and peak worth the $10.

The only thing you don't have to pay for is editing a booking by dropping tent sites. That works in their favour and you gain nothing out of it other than karma, so they'll happily make that edit for free.

*Just don't hate me when the bugs are bad. That part I will agree with, but nothing to be done. Just wear your full rain gear all the time at Floe, and make sure your jacket doesn't ride up. A number of my group members had a string of bites along the jacket-pant line.
But then, we had terrible bugs the whole trip (mostly horseflies. Mosquitos were only major at Floe, and seemed trivial after all the horseflies).
After the Rockwall, I went out and bought a bug jacket, and would definitely wear that next time.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Ok, cool.. I'll make that change hopefully today.

Did you guys not use any bug spray, or it didn't work that well?

I'll be taking bug nets for the head, and 30% Deet bug spray.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dougz

Thanks, Sodbuster..

Like I say, I'll phone tomorrow and see what kind of penalty there would be switching the 2nd night from Numa to Floe.

I mostly did it for the camp fires, which our family enjoys. I might leave it as is, and let the chips fall where they may (especially if they want to ding me).

Nice photos! What kind of camera do you have? Mine's a Canon G 12. It's alright, but I always seem to have to play with exposures levels, etc. when I go to 'process' them on the PC.

What time of year did you go?
August 17-21 2011. I don't recall the bugs being bad at all, but that varies from year to year and people have different tolerance levels for such things.

Cameras: I used my Canon Rebel (DSLR) on that trip, some of the photos and the video are from a Canon G11 that my son was using. G11 is a good camera, I use it when I don't want to pack a bulkier camera but it doesn't have the dynamic range of a DSLR. Everything was post-processed in Adobe Lightroom.

A tip for your G12, turn on the histogram function on the review screen and use it rather than what you "see" on the screen to gauge if you are getting accurate exposures in the field. How you have the brightness levels of the LCD screen set will sometimes make things look brighter or darker than it will appear on your PC - the actual exposure of the capture. Without getting too technical, you want the histogram to have most of the data in the center, not stacked up at either end. Should be outlined in the manual or pick up an after-market manual for your camera, I'll bet there are lots of features there you didn't know existed.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Buschs-Powersh...d_bxgy_b_img_y

post #28 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I was on the August Long Weekend, with 5 sunny beautiful days, and not so much as a breeze, even on the tops of the passes. That was excellent, though it was hot, somewhat hazy, and bad for the bugs.

We used plenty of bug spray, but it doesn't work against horseflies, no matter what the can says, and it didn't do enough against the mosquitoes while non-moving around camp.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Change is made! No charge, even..

And I will hate you when the bugs are bad..

I'll try that, thanks for the tip, Sodbuster!

Ordered the Gem map, finally..

post #30 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Third time's the charm!!

Smoked out one year, and had to work overtime last year (or was it the other way around?)..

Reserving for the 3rd time tomorrow.. Aug 3-7. Should be quieter on the weekdays?

Still looking like N to S, with 2 days at Floe Lake so we can do a day trip to Numa peak.. Helmet Falls - Tumbling Creek - Numa Creek - Floe Lake- Floe Lake.

Finger's crossed! Knock on wood!!

If anyone cares to join us for the car-ferry to the 2nd trail head and safety in numbers, bear-wise, let me know! There will be 4.5 of us (4+ shiba inu).

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 05-25-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page