ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Good Early Season Camping (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/44711-good-early-season-camping.html)

THE EDJ 04-23-2013 10:14 PM

Good Early Season Camping

I'm looking to get out camping sometime over the next few weeks and am looking for some suggestions on where to go. I'm located in the Okanagan, but can travel as long as the distance is reasonable for a weekend. I'm looking for backcountry or car camping (with good day hikes!). A lot of the places I want to go will have snow for a while yet and I can't wait that long.

Where do you go once the snow starts to fade away?

Aqua Terra 04-23-2013 11:30 PM

best to get some reliable books and be prepared for off weather for late spring and early summer

THE EDJ 04-25-2013 07:05 PM

Always prepared for off weather. It always rains when I go camping haha. I'm thinking it's best to stay down in the valley at this time of year and just keep an eye on the forecast.

ShadowChaser 04-25-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by THE EDJ

Always prepared for off weather. It always rains when I go camping haha. I'm thinking it's best to stay down in the valley at this time of year and just keep an eye on the forecast.
Not too familiar with the Okanagan, but the Marble Range and the Stein Valley are generally good in the shoulder seasons.

sandy 04-26-2013 12:01 AM

Have you been down towards Snowy Mountain? Or Okanagon Mountain Park?

ph0n3y 04-26-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by sandy

Have you been down towards Snowy Mountain? Or Okanagon Mountain Park?
Commando Bay in Ok Mnt Prov Park is a nice destination...but the hike in is pretty awful through the canyon from the Kelowna side. A large part of the area was burned out.

The Stein is always a good choice for an early/late season stroll.

gunthur 04-28-2013 07:14 PM

Anywhere in the East Kootenays. We have car camped,canoed and hiked there since the end of March.

THE EDJ 04-28-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by gunthur

Anywhere in the East Kootenays. We have car camped,canoed and hiked there since the end of March.
Any specific locations? Looking on BC Parks site there are so many options (it's a tough problem to have I guess), but I'm still fairly new to this part of the world and don't know what's good/bad.