User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By telestix

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mt. Seymour/Cypress controled rec area dates

Hi.

So I know that both Cypress and Mt. Seymour operate a 'controlled recreation area' in their respective parks with their associated backcountry parking hassles, paid areas etc.
But spring is here and they're getting to be semi-closed so:

1. At what point do they stop controlling access to the road? ie can we now go up for a pre-dawn snowshoe at 6am or is it still blocked until 9am?

2. Cypress nordic ends the season today. Does that mean I can go cross country ski on the (obviously deteriorating) groomed trails for free?

3. Seymour downhill is now only running on weekends. Does that mean I can skin up the runs and back down mid-week all I want?

What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

3. Seymour downhill is now only running on weekends. Does that mean I can skin up the runs and back down mid-week all I want?

Seymour in the past has had signs all over the base area regarding this and stating this is not allowed, but I have seen people going up anyways without any issue.

What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?

Last day today for winter operations at Cypress and Seymour is weekends only until April 28th
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Rat
Headed for the Mountains

I skinned up the runs this morning before work. drove past the gate at 6:30 without a problem. but it did look like the attendant was still in the shack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I am challenging this on seymour, met with the park attendant and police tonight they (the police) were at loss because I was accessing lot 1(the over night lot) on seymour which is in a provincial park and on a class A highway. The poor cop didn't know what to do with me. Other than say if I go back again next week take something that shows I have the right to access the land and that poor gate attendant can do nothing but write down my license. I am good with the license writing as I get they have to protect the ski hills equipment but denying me access to a provincial park is offside. The only thing I can find is a map on the mount seymour site which roughly shows where their CRA (controlled recreation area) begins at lot 2. I will take this if it is all that I have but I am hoping to get a more official government map on the subject. Mark the attendant is not really looking forward to seeing me next week. He would rather be watching movies and playing video games.
guntis likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM
RGB
Banned

telestix; good for you. You should be able to park overnight in Lot 1. As long as you don't enter the CRA when its operations are shut down for the night, I guess.
The issue of parking in both Cypress Prov Park and Mt Seymour Park has been an ongoing one.
The Friends of Cypress Prov Park have been very active trying to resolve it.
For more info:
https://forums.clubtread.com/8-britis...ewsletter.html paragraph 3.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...gs/mt_seymour/

http://www.mountseymour.com/winter-parking-designations

Last edited by RGB; 02-25-2015 at 05:32 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by telestix View Post
I am challenging this on seymour, met with the park attendant and police tonight they (the police) were at loss because I was accessing lot 1(the over night lot) on seymour which is in a provincial park and on a class A highway. The poor cop didn't know what to do with me. Other than say if I go back again next week take something that shows I have the right to access the land and that poor gate attendant can do nothing but write down my license. I am good with the license writing as I get they have to protect the ski hills equipment but denying me access to a provincial park is offside. The only thing I can find is a map on the mount seymour site which roughly shows where their CRA (controlled recreation area) begins at lot 2. I will take this if it is all that I have but I am hoping to get a more official government map on the subject. Mark the attendant is not really looking forward to seeing me next week. He would rather be watching movies and playing video games.

their are privately owned cabins and a public (by reservation) BC parks campsite on Seymour. they can't block everyone at the bottom... whether you can park in which lot I don't know.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmesnow View Post
Hi.

2. Cypress nordic ends the season today. Does that mean I can go cross country ski on the (obviously deteriorating) groomed trails for free?

Cheers.
Unfortunately the deteriorating snow has turned to dirt. If it wasn't I'd be skiing too.
The last time I skied up there was in mid January, the trails were mud brown in colour and it was sloppy slushy skiing. There were rocks and bare spots everywhere. It melted about a week or so after that.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

Quote:
Cypress is Nov 01 to May 31st.
Mt Seymour is Nov 15 to May 1st.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM
RGB
Banned

See the very recent report about parking at Seymour and Cypress parks in the FMCBC Newsletter.

Note the last sentence soliciting input on your experience at either park's parking issues.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default headed to brockton at 8:10 on Tuesday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
See the very recent report about parking at Seymour and Cypress parks in the FMCBC Newsletter.

Note the last sentence soliciting input on your experience at either park's parking issues.
Yes I read that last week that has more to do with where you can park when there is snow. Anyways my current plan is to head through the gate at 8:10 on Tuesday night and go for a hike up to brockton. I suspect the attendant will write down my info and let me through without the police this time. Not that the policy has changed but rather it is easier to ignore me than to make a stink but who knows.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:07 AM
RGB
Banned

Now that you have posted the time and date that you are going there, maybe there will be a reception for you at the gate. Just joking, why would the police and park attendant be paying attention to CT.
You planning to park at Lot 1?
Let us know what happened. Even if from a jail cell... just kidding.
Actually, maybe Seymour will have closed ski operations by Tuesday.
Quote:
Last day today for winter operations at Cypress and Seymour is weekends only until April 28th
Does this mean no one but security is at the ski area on weekdays?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page