Mt. Seymour/Cypress controled rec area dates - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By telestix
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Posts: 47
Default Mt. Seymour/Cypress controled rec area dates

Hi.

So I know that both Cypress and Mt. Seymour operate a 'controlled recreation area' in their respective parks with their associated backcountry parking hassles, paid areas etc.
But spring is here and they're getting to be semi-closed so:

1. At what point do they stop controlling access to the road? ie can we now go up for a pre-dawn snowshoe at 6am or is it still blocked until 9am?

2. Cypress nordic ends the season today. Does that mean I can go cross country ski on the (obviously deteriorating) groomed trails for free?

3. Seymour downhill is now only running on weekends. Does that mean I can skin up the runs and back down mid-week all I want?

What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?

Cheers.
gimmesnow is offline  
Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coquitlam, bc, Canada.
Posts: 219
Default

3. Seymour downhill is now only running on weekends. Does that mean I can skin up the runs and back down mid-week all I want?

Seymour in the past has had signs all over the base area regarding this and stating this is not allowed, but I have seen people going up anyways without any issue.

What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?


Last day today for winter operations at Cypress and Seymour is weekends only until April 28th
Eagle ridge hiker is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Rat
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Langley, , .
Posts: 225
Default

I skinned up the runs this morning before work. drove past the gate at 6:30 without a problem. but it did look like the attendant was still in the shack.


Rat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3
Default

I am challenging this on seymour, met with the park attendant and police tonight they (the police) were at loss because I was accessing lot 1(the over night lot) on seymour which is in a provincial park and on a class A highway. The poor cop didn't know what to do with me. Other than say if I go back again next week take something that shows I have the right to access the land and that poor gate attendant can do nothing but write down my license. I am good with the license writing as I get they have to protect the ski hills equipment but denying me access to a provincial park is offside. The only thing I can find is a map on the mount seymour site which roughly shows where their CRA (controlled recreation area) begins at lot 2. I will take this if it is all that I have but I am hoping to get a more official government map on the subject. Mark the attendant is not really looking forward to seeing me next week. He would rather be watching movies and playing video games.
guntis likes this.
telestix is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM
RGB
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: BC
Posts: 422
Default

telestix; good for you. You should be able to park overnight in Lot 1. As long as you don't enter the CRA when its operations are shut down for the night, I guess.
The issue of parking in both Cypress Prov Park and Mt Seymour Park has been an ongoing one.
The Friends of Cypress Prov Park have been very active trying to resolve it.
For more info:
https://forums.clubtread.com/8-britis...ewsletter.html paragraph 3.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...gs/mt_seymour/

http://www.mountseymour.com/winter-parking-designations

Last edited by RGB; 02-25-2015 at 05:32 PM.
RGB is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: north van, bc, Canada.
Interest: hiking / camping
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telestix View Post
I am challenging this on seymour, met with the park attendant and police tonight they (the police) were at loss because I was accessing lot 1(the over night lot) on seymour which is in a provincial park and on a class A highway. The poor cop didn't know what to do with me. Other than say if I go back again next week take something that shows I have the right to access the land and that poor gate attendant can do nothing but write down my license. I am good with the license writing as I get they have to protect the ski hills equipment but denying me access to a provincial park is offside. The only thing I can find is a map on the mount seymour site which roughly shows where their CRA (controlled recreation area) begins at lot 2. I will take this if it is all that I have but I am hoping to get a more official government map on the subject. Mark the attendant is not really looking forward to seeing me next week. He would rather be watching movies and playing video games.



their are privately owned cabins and a public (by reservation) BC parks campsite on Seymour. they can't block everyone at the bottom... whether you can park in which lot I don't know.
smac is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 AM
Scaling New Heights
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BC, Canada.
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmesnow View Post
Hi.

2. Cypress nordic ends the season today. Does that mean I can go cross country ski on the (obviously deteriorating) groomed trails for free?

Cheers.
Unfortunately the deteriorating snow has turned to dirt. If it wasn't I'd be skiing too.
The last time I skied up there was in mid January, the trails were mud brown in colour and it was sloppy slushy skiing. There were rocks and bare spots everywhere. It melted about a week or so after that.
HikerSkierRunner27 is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Vancouver, , .
Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?
Cypress is Nov 01 to May 31st.
Mt Seymour is Nov 15 to May 1st.
Biffybee is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM
RGB
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: BC
Posts: 422
Default

See the very recent report about parking at Seymour and Cypress parks in the FMCBC Newsletter.

Note the last sentence soliciting input on your experience at either park's parking issues.
RGB is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3
Default headed to brockton at 8:10 on Tuesday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
See the very recent report about parking at Seymour and Cypress parks in the FMCBC Newsletter.

Note the last sentence soliciting input on your experience at either park's parking issues.
Yes I read that last week that has more to do with where you can park when there is snow. Anyways my current plan is to head through the gate at 8:10 on Tuesday night and go for a hike up to brockton. I suspect the attendant will write down my info and let me through without the police this time. Not that the policy has changed but rather it is easier to ignore me than to make a stink but who knows.
telestix is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:07 AM
RGB
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: BC
Posts: 422
Default

Now that you have posted the time and date that you are going there, maybe there will be a reception for you at the gate. Just joking, why would the police and park attendant be paying attention to CT.
You planning to park at Lot 1?
Let us know what happened. Even if from a jail cell... just kidding.
Actually, maybe Seymour will have closed ski operations by Tuesday.
Quote:
Last day today for winter operations at Cypress and Seymour is weekends only until April 28th
Does this mean no one but security is at the ski area on weekdays?
RGB is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1