ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Mt. Seymour/Cypress controled rec area dates (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/44669-mt-seymour-cypress-controled-rec-area-dates.html)

gimmesnow 04-15-2013 12:02 PM

Mt. Seymour/Cypress controled rec area dates
 
Hi.

So I know that both Cypress and Mt. Seymour operate a 'controlled recreation area' in their respective parks with their associated backcountry parking hassles, paid areas etc.
But spring is here and they're getting to be semi-closed so:

1. At what point do they stop controlling access to the road? ie can we now go up for a pre-dawn snowshoe at 6am or is it still blocked until 9am?

2. Cypress nordic ends the season today. Does that mean I can go cross country ski on the (obviously deteriorating) groomed trails for free?

3. Seymour downhill is now only running on weekends. Does that mean I can skin up the runs and back down mid-week all I want?

What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?

Cheers.

Eagle ridge hiker 04-15-2013 12:13 PM

3. Seymour downhill is now only running on weekends. Does that mean I can skin up the runs and back down mid-week all I want?

Seymour in the past has had signs all over the base area regarding this and stating this is not allowed, but I have seen people going up anyways without any issue.

What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?


Last day today for winter operations at Cypress and Seymour is weekends only until April 28th

Rat 04-16-2013 09:43 AM

I skinned up the runs this morning before work. drove past the gate at 6:30 without a problem. but it did look like the attendant was still in the shack.



telestix 02-25-2015 01:26 AM

I am challenging this on seymour, met with the park attendant and police tonight they (the police) were at loss because I was accessing lot 1(the over night lot) on seymour which is in a provincial park and on a class A highway. The poor cop didn't know what to do with me. Other than say if I go back again next week take something that shows I have the right to access the land and that poor gate attendant can do nothing but write down my license. I am good with the license writing as I get they have to protect the ski hills equipment but denying me access to a provincial park is offside. The only thing I can find is a map on the mount seymour site which roughly shows where their CRA (controlled recreation area) begins at lot 2. I will take this if it is all that I have but I am hoping to get a more official government map on the subject. Mark the attendant is not really looking forward to seeing me next week. He would rather be watching movies and playing video games.

RGB 02-25-2015 05:28 PM

telestix; good for you. You should be able to park overnight in Lot 1. As long as you don't enter the CRA when its operations are shut down for the night, I guess.
The issue of parking in both Cypress Prov Park and Mt Seymour Park has been an ongoing one.
The Friends of Cypress Prov Park have been very active trying to resolve it.
For more info:
https://forums.clubtread.com/8-britis...ewsletter.html paragraph 3.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...gs/mt_seymour/

http://www.mountseymour.com/winter-parking-designations

smac 02-26-2015 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telestix (Post 590825)
I am challenging this on seymour, met with the park attendant and police tonight they (the police) were at loss because I was accessing lot 1(the over night lot) on seymour which is in a provincial park and on a class A highway. The poor cop didn't know what to do with me. Other than say if I go back again next week take something that shows I have the right to access the land and that poor gate attendant can do nothing but write down my license. I am good with the license writing as I get they have to protect the ski hills equipment but denying me access to a provincial park is offside. The only thing I can find is a map on the mount seymour site which roughly shows where their CRA (controlled recreation area) begins at lot 2. I will take this if it is all that I have but I am hoping to get a more official government map on the subject. Mark the attendant is not really looking forward to seeing me next week. He would rather be watching movies and playing video games.




their are privately owned cabins and a public (by reservation) BC parks campsite on Seymour. they can't block everyone at the bottom... whether you can park in which lot I don't know.

HikerSkierRunner27 02-26-2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmesnow (Post 44669)
Hi.

2. Cypress nordic ends the season today. Does that mean I can go cross country ski on the (obviously deteriorating) groomed trails for free?

Cheers.

Unfortunately the deteriorating snow has turned to dirt.;) If it wasn't I'd be skiing too.
The last time I skied up there was in mid January, the trails were mud brown in colour and it was sloppy slushy skiing. There were rocks and bare spots everywhere. It melted about a week or so after that.

Biffybee 02-26-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

What's the official date when these resorts cease their winter license to operate in the 'area'?
Cypress is Nov 01 to May 31st.
Mt Seymour is Nov 15 to May 1st.

RGB 02-27-2015 12:27 AM

See the very recent report about parking at Seymour and Cypress parks in the FMCBC Newsletter.

Note the last sentence soliciting input on your experience at either park's parking issues.

telestix 03-02-2015 12:18 AM

headed to brockton at 8:10 on Tuesday night
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGB (Post 591913)
See the very recent report about parking at Seymour and Cypress parks in the FMCBC Newsletter.

Note the last sentence soliciting input on your experience at either park's parking issues.

Yes I read that last week that has more to do with where you can park when there is snow. Anyways my current plan is to head through the gate at 8:10 on Tuesday night and go for a hike up to brockton. I suspect the attendant will write down my info and let me through without the police this time. Not that the policy has changed but rather it is easier to ignore me than to make a stink but who knows.

RGB 03-02-2015 02:07 AM

Now that you have posted the time and date that you are going there, maybe there will be a reception for you at the gate. Just joking, why would the police and park attendant be paying attention to CT.
You planning to park at Lot 1?
Let us know what happened. Even if from a jail cell... just kidding.
Actually, maybe Seymour will have closed ski operations by Tuesday.
Quote:

Last day today for winter operations at Cypress and Seymour is weekends only until April 28th
Does this mean no one but security is at the ski area on weekdays?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome