Mulligan and Anif Questions ??? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.
Default Mulligan and Anif Questions ???

Hey there,

Were thinking of heading up to these two summits for a snowshoe day real soon. Never been before so were hoping to get some intel on the trailhead location. Don't have a gps myself but who know's one of the other's may bring one but I'm not counting on it. Was looking at a tr where Mulligan to Anif looked relatively close for a double bagging. Anyone know how far from each other or what time is involved to get from one to the other? Oh yeah is that a four wheel access or can 2 wheel drive make the trailhead atm?

Thanks for any help

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

The first part of the road off of Mamquam River FSR has been reactivated. Go left further up where newer spur goes right. Both peaks are easy enough from end of road. From there go up to the col between the two or go left before end of road and ascend Mulligan North Peak first then continue to the col and up Mulligan South (Anif).

Do a search on Mulligan or Anif trip reports on this site for further information.

Quote:
quote:We drove up the road to a new fork at 550m. The road is reactivated, so there are no cross ditches. Although we had no trouble with 5 of us in Greg's rugged Isuzu Trooper, it is somewhat rough and quite steep, so I wasn't sure if a Subaru 4WD could make it. We got into patches of snow at perhaps 450m or so, but the road had been plowed.
From Bivouac.com yesterday - probably a track to follow if you go over the next couple of days.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Was up there Saturday.
4wd Xterra made it up the re-activated road no problem. Saves about 2km and 200m of elevation from Mamquam FSR.
Skins on straight from the car. You should have no problem following the various tracks. Obvious route anyway, I don't recall seeing any tempting branches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sidetrip

Hey there,

Were thinking of heading up to these two summits for a snowshoe day real soon. Never been before so were hoping to get some intel on the trailhead location. Don't have a gps myself but who know's one of the other's may bring one but I'm not counting on it. Was looking at a tr where Mulligan to Anif looked relatively close for a double bagging. Anyone know how far from each other or what time is involved to get from one to the other? Oh yeah is that a four wheel access or can 2 wheel drive make the trailhead atm?

Thanks for any help
Katie and I did both peaks back in January of this year and it took us 50 minutes to get from Mulligan to Anif. In snowshoes on a broken trail. Steep slopes up to Anif.

I drive a 2wdr and back then we had to park at the 6km marker on Mamquam and even from there, it was around a 6 hour hike. Sounds like one can drive much further up now, so you should have tons of time to do both. : )
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

OK so just to clarify. The trail wiki says park at the 5 mile marker then to proceed up the side road formerly blocked from the sounds of it where you can either drive or shoe up the spur road. Seems there are conflicting markers to park or turn at. Is the wiki incorrect? It also states the 500m in stay right then around two k later stay left. That sound about right? I read somewhere in someone's tr that it was the other way around.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

100m or so in stay right then go left at 2km. Not sure if that is at 550m elevation. Just follow the newer road and check your elevation for 550m. If you have that and there's a junction - go left there on the older road.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

If you've got a 4x4 you can get all the way here, approx 2km from Mamquam FSR

Keep to the left and your on Main apparently
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks everyone for the tips. I was mostly concerned with the backroad directions. Hopefully got it all straight now. Will be doing the clockwise kind of loop suggested heading up between to clearcuts up along to Mulligan then down the the col and over up Anif then directly down and straight back to the road from Anif afterwards if all go's correctly.

I'll post a tr and pics for everyone should we survive. []

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

You can drive up the road past the loggers branch almost another km now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page