Avalanche Control Coquihalla Feb 25-26 (CANCELED) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Avalanche Control Coquihalla Feb 25-26 (CANCELED)

*****NOTE The Below Planned Avalanche Control Has Been Canceled*******

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will be doing explosives control tomorrow (Monday)and/or Tuesday. Please do not ski/snowshoe in slopes facing the highway. Examples of some, but not all areas that we may do control in are: Yak/Nak/Thar area, Markor N slide path (Lunch Run) and Two Bears.

Please do not park at the Zopkios sand pit. If you are planning to be in the Coquihalla, areas that we will not be doing control in are Zoa, Coq Lakes Ridge (Toll Booth), Ottomite/Iago and Needle Ridge. When you return to your vehicle, please take the time to ensure the road is open. If you don't see a transport truck or vehicle go by in a five minute span, the road is still closed, stay in the parking area until you see traffic resume.

Conditions are touchy out there, be careful.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

This is useful information, thanks for posting
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

thanks for posting this, changed my plans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for posting this Paul. Is there a site that displays this info regularly, or do you plan on posting here when this is occurring?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Wish I had nothing to do and could somehow watch the avy control in action. Keep up the good work!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

CPeters,

Good question, thanks. At this time there is not a site that we regularily post this information. In general, we only do explosives control a handful of times a year in the Coquihalla.

There has been a very noticeable change in the Coquihalla the last couple of years in terms of the number of backcountry users and in the destinations/terrain they are choosing to travel. In an effort to avoid conflict between the work we need to accomplish, and ruining somebody's valuable day off (or worse) we are in the process of improving our signage and communication to backcountry users.

This is the first time we have tried posting this information. Our informal surveying over the last year concluded that Club Tread was our best chance to reach the most backcountry users in the Coquihalla.

It appears like the info was well recieved.

When possible, we will continue to post the information here and flip down our signage the day/night before (we also have a couple of signs specific to the Nak/Thar area).

Paul Harwood
Avalanche Technician
MoTI North Cascades Avalanche Program

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

It would be helpful to have an official protocol for using the Nak-Thar area, and other avalanche controlled areas adjacent to the highway. The sign at the Zopkios rest station implies this area is always closed, but guidebooks (particularly John Baldwin's book) say you can ski there. BC Parks ignores the issue on their webite. That doesn't leave me with much in the way of guidance. i.e. how am I supposed to check whether areas are open or closed?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Also note that the two bears slide path occassionally gets skied as a loop from Needle Peak area, so it would be worthwhile to communicate the two bears closure at the Needle Peak Trailhead as well.

Thanks!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MountainH2O

This is the first time we have tried posting this information. Our informal surveying over the last year concluded that Club Tread was our best chance to reach the most backcountry users in the Coquihalla.
You should also post in the Coast Mountains Ski and Snow Conditions thread on Telemarktips.com. A large number of skiers refer to it weekly when planning their outings.

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/vi...=asc&start=270

A new thread gets started every season, usually by CT's msulkers (aka Rebob on TTips).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I cross-posted to Teletips.

Another place to post may be the discussion board on the CAA website, but you are probably not looking for more work and its (unfortunately) not used as frequently as other places on the www.

Quote:
quote:The sign at the Zopkios rest station implies this area is always closed
The one above the entrance to the building? I can't remember seeing this sign recently - is it gone?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I understand your frustrations with those confusing signs that had the permanent closures marked on them. They were from the old artillary gun days.

Not to worry, the signs are already gone! This fall as part of our efforts to update and improve communication we asked Parks to remove those signs from Zopkios and Falls Lake.

There are no permanent closures anymore. (With a little cooperation and common sense, we hopefully never need any).
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the other ideas on getting out information. We had considered a few other places.

However, you hit the nail on the head. We are not looking for more work When we are busy, we are really busy.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MountainH2O
Not to worry, the signs are already gone! This fall as part of our efforts to update and improve communication we asked Parks to remove those signs from Zopkios and Falls Lake.
Good to hear the mixed messaging is gone. I haven't been up that way in a while so I guess I'm behind the times. Nevertheless it would be good to get some basic generic information up on the BC Parks website, like "Backcountry closures for avalanche control are signposted at the following parking areas: Box Canyon, Zopkios, Falls Lake, etc."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page