Natural springs in the Lower Mainland? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

There's a ton of arsenic in some Gambier Group rocks which affects a lot of groundwater between North Shore and Powell River.

I always wonder why people collect water from "springs" on Mount Woodside and near Lions Bay. Both sources are pipes that connect to surface creeks rather than true springs, and both sources have tested positive for E coli, cryptospiridium, and Giardia at times in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I just read some of the comments on that findaspring site about specifically the Lynn Valley roadside spring.

The water from the spring on the side of the road is a "Hydrological spring source"
which is derived from 200-1000FT below the surface. This is water that has been contained in the earth anywhere from 1000-10000 years and is filtered through the "Hydrological filtration system" of mother earth. The water is filtered through the crust, aquifers, clay, petrified wood and so forth. All the beautiful natural filtration elements of this magical planet.
Water from hydrological spring sources is structured hexagonal shaped micro clustered water molecules that have antioxidant and healing properties.

Uh, OK. Petrified wood in glacial till. Structured hexagonal shaped micro clustered water molecules that have antioxidant and healing properties.

Some pretty fuzzy thinking going on there, and claims of tests (with no verification) showing either no detectable arsenic, or a well-above-safe-limits 180 PPM.
There is the tap up by the traihead, which as an officially provided public water source in a park I can't imagine hasn't been tested, so I am pretty confident that water is perfectly safe. And delicious, I always drink from it and fill my bottle when heading into Lynn Headwaters. The pool by the roadside is a lot less appealing to me!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

If you are serious about spring water, talk to someone at a reliable lab (e.g. ALS in Burnaby) and get their suggested sampling protocol for drinking water. Then collect the water and get it analyzed (maybe $200?? I haven't had any run lately). Run heavy metals and, if it's near farms or the such, get it run for bacteria and organics. The lab will know.

Don't listen to any bumpf about "true pure deep water" and "beautiful natural filtration elements". That doesn't mean a thing, not a thing. I can point you to a good source of "true pure deep water" that has arsenic levels way above anything accceptable.

As for any web site that says "Water from hydrological spring sources is structured hexagonal shaped micro clustered water molecules that have antioxidant and healing properties": I'd run from that site. Gibberish, pseudo-science, and pure garbage. Talk about pollution...

Promoters to the contrary, there is nothing magical about "spring water."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've often thought that the people taking water from the Lynn Headwaters Spring should just go dip their buckets in the creek instead....at least it doesn't flow through gardens and backyards at that point.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Just to be clear, the "true deep pure water" comment was ONLY about the very real risk of surface contamination at that road-side spring, which is all that the thread had delved into yet. Heavy metal contamination is possible without a bad taste, that's true but rare. Usually there is enough other dissolved solids for the taste to be a warning flag.

And no, I don't believe in "live" water with magical properties due to hexagonal whatever's!

The tap at Lynn Headwaters I've often drank from, and being officially supplied to the public by a liability-averse public body I would be extremely surprised, flabbergasted even if it hasn't been tested and is nice and clean.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

"Heavy metal contamination is possible without a bad taste, that's true but rare. Usually there is enough other dissolved solids for the taste to be a warning flag"
This statement is misleading. It is certainly not true for southwestern BC. Metals can exceed safe levels when Total Dissolved Solid concentraion is low and there is no odd taste. It all depends on local geology. Areas with un-metamorphosed sedimentary and/or volcanic rocks would typically have higher Total Dissolved Solid concentrations but not necessarily higher heavy metals. Most of the gulf islands and parts of the southern interior would fall into that category. Areas of metamorphosed older clastic marine sedimentary and volcanic rocks typically would have low total dissolved solids, but groundwater in areas with those types of rocks, intrusions within volcanic rocks in particular, can be anomalous in heavy metals. This is exactly the case in parts of the north shore mountains, Howe Sound and on the sunshine coast. The sources of arsenic are the commonly occurring Gambier group rocks (Mt. Seymour, much of Howe Sound/Sea to Sky) and Bowen group rocks (upper Lynn Headwaters, Cypress Bowl, Bowen Island, Sunshine Coast) found throughout the region. Groundwater in all of these areas is typically low in total dissolved solids and has no odd taste, but metal concentrations vary greatly and naturally exceed safe levels in several locations tested. There is no way you would be able to taste the difference between 5 ppb and 50 ppb arsenic, though the latter is five times the maximum safe limit for drinking water but only 1/1000 of the maximum allowable TDS. You can't make a direct correlation with high TDS and high heavy metals as that would also be stating that you are not likely to have heavy metals unless you also have high TDS - our local geology proves that wrong.

I see that on the findaspring.com site people have suggested having the Lynn Headwaters spring tested. As far as metals detection goes, my recommendation would be to take a sample during a dry period after at least a week of no rain. This will minimize the dilution effect that rainwater/ditch water will have during rainy periods. Based on local geology (granitic rocks) I'm going to guess that arsenic will not be an issue. However, other sources of contamination, such as fertilizer, weed killer and bacteria, will vary greatly throughtout the year and a single test will be inconclusive. Periodic monitoring would be required for those things.
During dry parts of the year the water from this spring is likely close to 100% groundwater sourced. For much of the year much of the water in the pool is surface runoff (ditchwater) that has only been diluted by the spring, yet I still see people filling water bottles from it.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:I see that on the findaspring.com site people have suggested having the Lynn Headwaters spring tested. As far as metals detection goes, my recommendation would be to take a sample during a dry period after at least a week of no rain.
This is Lynn Valley....a week without rain may not happen.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page