Snowmobiles on Garibaldi Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: gps mapping
Default Snowmobiles on Garibaldi Lake

No Warnings allowed

Snowmobilers have been seen on Garibaldi Lake Monday February 11 2013 in the early afternoon. This activity is not permitted in Garibaldi Park. Most sledders respect the rules but there are a few who insist in pushing boundaries to suit themselves.
Please act responsibly and help protect the values we have long cherished.

The following response from a BC Parks Senior Ranger details a correct response if you encounter illegally operated snowmobiles.

Any significant Park observations (such as infractions, issues or
details on recreation use) are greatly appreciated. Through you and
others like you, BC Parks has extra eyes and ears in Garibaldi Park
and this is so valuable.

I will follow up on this information. BC Parks takes infractions
seriously and often coordinates with other Government agencies for
enforcement actions. In this case, this was also reported by another
party immediately and is currently being actioned. As this file is
open and being investigated, I cannot give you further information on
this incident.

Thank you for proactively reporting this and for asking for what to do
in the future to improve communications. Please keep the following
information in mind:

1. Immediate reporting helps (or as soon as possible). Often this
allows BC Parks staff time to get more detailed information needed for
laying charges. I realize this is often difficult as backcountry
Parks are often remote and usually have very limited cell service.

If possible call the Ministry of Environment, BC Conservation Officers
Report Line, immediately at 1-877-952-7277 (24hrs) AND also report
this to BC Parks via my email asap. mailto:[email protected]

2. Recording and reporting as many details as possible gives Parks
better information and a better case. Try to document the 5 W's
(what, when, where, who, and how. )

3. Try to get photos if possible. Photos assist documenting the
information. Photos of sled tracks would be one thing; whereas it
would be ideal to get photos of the riders and the particular sled
make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

That's just sad,I hope they catch the asshats!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Summit Master

Snowmobilers all over BC habitually violate the boundaries they agreed to. Directly policing them is impractical. Since they refuse to behave as adults, they need to be treated like children. It's time their persistent bad behavior was discouraged by withdrawal of privileges. The way to do this is to start taking away areas they use. The first of these could be the Sproatt Mt. area in the Callaghan Valley. This would have the added benefit of finally stopping their illegal incursions to Rainbow Lake and the Whistler watershed. The way to do it is gate the access roads and ban parking at the highway. Then tow any violators' vehicles.

If this doesn't get the message across, keep closing snowmobile areas until it does.

Something that may be helpful is the news Pat Bell is quitting politics. He has been one of the top two snowmobile advocates in the Liberal government. The other is Shirley Bond, who hopefully will lose her influence in the provincial election.

Further reading if you like:

http://www.sledtheworld.com/snowmobi...owmobile-area/
- emphasizes Whistler watershed closure, does not mention non-motorized area

http://s112.beta.photobucket.com/use...osure.jpg.html
- another map

http://notesfromtheneve.com/2011/01/...tly-callaghan/
- from 2010, Scott Nelson

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2290351
- claims the boundaries are voluntary for non-commerical snowmobilers

http://www.rtr.org/videofeed/9n2cEieYfpI
- snowmobiler video at Rainbow Lake

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/a...p/t-47247.html
- sledder mentality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Summit Master

sgRant
I've met some very responsible, friendly sledders that wont follow others into off limits areas.

The small cirque lake above callaghan lake has evidence of quite a few sled tracks. doubt they can make it up from callaghan lake, must come around from another acess spot. Is that off limits for them? never checked.

Often envy sledders as they can get into some areas in 30 minutes having easy fun, where it takes 6 hours skinning up cursing and working out 100% in some cases.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Darwinism quickly catches up with these Inbreds.....Our weak laws and non-existent park rangers are unable to mitigate the actions of these Morons so all we can hope for is that Mother nature picks them off for us.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Summit Master

No. Darwinism is not enough to slow down the sledders, and where do they get the $$ to have trucks to transport these $$ machines? most of us have issues getting a nice pair of 2000$ skis/boots/bindings to skin into backcountry, never mind a 12,000$ sled and 35,000$ truck, I gotta get in on this deal?!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

They are on the Crispy Clark gravy train.......Working for Kiewet building highways, bridges, and destroying what is left of the environment through some wonderful mining practices....If not they work for BC Hydro or one the the construction companies that built that 600 million dollar eyesore downtown that leaks and has a one year warranty.....The list goes on and on....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Having Fun!

Jayson Faulkner posted this a few days ago and it is sad, hopefully they catch these guys or at least enough posting will encourage them to stay out of the park.

Sorry St Rant taking away areas will do little to stop the 10% who are unmanageable and feel rules don't apply to them. Last year every night when Ted was working on the Garibaldi Trail , mountain bikers rode past over his new work, illegally riding in the park when they are not supposed to be there. And yes every day hikers are hiking right by closed signs on the Grouse Grind and other trails, shall we close all mtb and hiking trails down one by one until these others users smarten up? Doubt you think so....

In all users groups there are those that think they are above the rules. These guys must have come through the Garibaldi Access as we would have seen their tracks from Brohm and found out who they were...either way hope it does not happen again. Been a long time I have ever heard of people in there on sleds and hope it is a long time or never that this happens.

If you spot someone in there, don't approach , just get the brand of sled, color and any distinct patterns as we can figure what sled it is by that, and if possible the registration number(big yellow decal) and turn it in...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

sgRant
I've met some very responsible, friendly sledders that wont follow others into off limits areas.

The small cirque lake above callaghan lake has evidence of quite a few sled tracks. doubt they can make it up from callaghan lake, must come around from another acess spot. Is that off limits for them? never checked.

Often envy sledders as they can get into some areas in 30 minutes having easy fun, where it takes 6 hours skinning up cursing and working out 100% in some cases.
That there are some nice people who drive snowmobiles sometimes does not change the matter at hand. I've driven them, but then again I'm not necessarily a nice person.

You need to look up the boundaries of Callaghan Lake Provincial Park. I believe snowmobiling is banned from that park.

Believe me, I don't envy the more offensive sledders. They make me feel sorry for the planet in the face of such human stupidity.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Having Fun!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burndug

They are on the Crispy Clark gravy train.......Working for Kiewet building highways, bridges, and destroying what is left of the environment through some wonderful mining practices....If not they work for BC Hydro or one the the construction companies that built that 600 million dollar eyesore downtown that leaks and has a one year warranty.....The list goes on and on....
Awesome, now that you have pegged all sledders, tell me how you peg yourself. I do both so I just want to see what is my other half... I mean since you know....
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by norona

Jayson Faulkner posted this a few days ago and it is sad, hopefully they catch these guys or at least enough posting will encourage them to stay out of the park.

Sorry St Rant taking away areas will do little to stop the 10% who are unmanageable and feel rules don't apply to them. Last year every night when Ted was working on the Garibaldi Trail , mountain bikers rode past over his new work, illegally riding in the park when they are not supposed to be there. And yes every day hikers are hiking right by closed signs on the Grouse Grind and other trails, shall we close all mtb and hiking trails down one by one until these others users smarten up? Doubt you think so....

In all users groups there are those that think they are above the rules. These guys must have come through the Garibaldi Access as we would have seen their tracks from Brohm and found out who they were...either way hope it does not happen again. Been a long time I have ever heard of people in there on sleds and hope it is a long time or never that this happens.

If you spot someone in there, don't approach , just get the brand of sled, color and any distinct patterns as we can figure what sled it is by that, and if possible the registration number(big yellow decal) and turn it in...
I don't believe it's only 10%. For instance, far more than 10% of the sled tracks visible on satellite views in the Rainbow/Sproatt area are outside the permitted area. Whatever the percentage, in the context of this being impossible to police, the solution is for the concerned majority of snowmobilers to police themselves. Incremental loss and reinstating riding areas would hinge on their success.

Please stay on the subject. Mountain bikers are not the subject, nor are hikers. If you want to talk about them breaking rules, please open another topic.

You must realize it is difficult to catch up to a snowmobiler while on skis or snowshoes. The other day I did overtake a snowmobiler headed downhill toward Rainbow Lake, made him stop and got in his face. He claimed he had the right to be where he was. Then he went down and joined his buddies on Rainbow Lake. Which is happens to be outside the motorized area and inside Whistler's water supply.

I looked for a plate and didn't see one. Where would it be mounted?

And have you, Dave, ever snowmobiled at Gin, Tonic and/or Rainbow Lakes since 2010?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Summit Master

I can see this thread will be a train wreck in no time...
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by norona

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burndug

Awesome, now that you have pegged all sledders, tell me how you peg yourself. I do both so I just want to see what is my other half... I mean since you know....
I'd say the snowmobilers who break the rules typically are middle aged, overweight, male blue-collar workers with antisocial tendencies and lower than average IQ's. I'd guess few of them vote for the Greens or are members of Greenpeace.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

I can see this thread will be a train wreck in no time...
I hope not. As long as we avoid insulting or attacking each other it should be ok. There's nothing wrong with calling out people who do things we find offensive.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Snowmobiles don't have license plates. They should. It's pretty hard to get good identifying information off a snowmobile at the moment. Even with plates you'll still need to be close but at least you'd have a chance.

Confiscating sleds seems like it would be a good deterrent. Probably wouldn't take too many before people got the idea... this has been suggested by various responsible snowmobilers and ATV riders.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page