Snowmobiles on Garibaldi Lake - Page 5 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Summit Seeker I'm going to throw it out there and suggest that looking for deer at 65mph from a road is probably not going to meet with a very high success rate.
I think what Farmer was getting at is that so many deer get run down by motor vehicles that it proves deer are not scared off by noisy machines.

Quote:
quote:
IMO, the economic activity produced by sleds in overrated. Common to public discussions about economics, is the systemic failure to subtract.
The tracks and direct effects on animals are probably the least damaging consequences of recreational snowmobiling. Since probable few militant snowmobilers are members of Greenpeace, they are far from appreciating that all the economic activity they boast about could more sensibly be viewed as damage. Assembling the resources to make snowmobiles and all the fuel burned in playing with them, all translates into environmental damage. Particularly greenhouse gases. Sooner or later that damage is going to cost us. The enormous cost of that damage probably will make the thrills snowmobilers get from going in circles look like extreme foolishness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Summit Seeker
Farmer - have you ever been hunting in a non-motorized area? I'm going to throw it out there and suggest that looking for deer at 65mph from a road is probably not going to meet with a very high success rate. I'll also suggest that their might be a fairly good reason outfitters pay big bucks for tenure in non-motorized regions.
Yes I have.

I see more deer on the drive to and from work each day, or in my yard outside of hunting season, than I ever do I have my rifle in hand.

Hell, wednesday night I chased about 9 of them out of my driveway for the 100th time in the last 8 months. The don't seem to have any problem coming back.
post #63 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

the cops / rangers can't even stop break ins every weekend at the trail heads. what makes you think they can stop snowmobiles in the middle of nowhere?...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Summit Master

umm, yeah, WTF?
post #65 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smac

the cops / rangers can't even stop break ins every weekend at the trail heads. what makes you think they can stop snowmobiles in the middle of nowhere?...
It doesn't have to be direct. If the authorities have proof of habitual violations, they can ban parking of sledders' trucks and tow them after that. This won't work everywhere, but would in most cases.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page