Snowmobilers/boarder on Rainbow Lake

Snowmobilers/skier on Gin/Tonic Lake

Snowmobilers on Gin/Tonic Lake

Snowmobilers/snowboarders on the ridge just south of Rainbow Lake:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Summit Master

almost everyone carries a good camera with and/or vid capabilities, use it.
I've seen off users disperse real quick when cams come out from a Pro user group.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

almost everyone carries a good camera with and/or vid capabilities, use it.
I've seen off users disperse real quick when cams come out from a Pro user group.
To take a step back, we should not have to police the sledders. We gave most of our traditional areas to them in agreements that left us with some remnants and more dangerous terrain. Snowmobilers habitually violate the boundaries they agreed to. It's time people with real authority stepped in and deals with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 AM
DPM
Off the Beaten Path

+++

Amen...this should not be the responsibility of legitimate users of this area...otherwise, why call it a "park" at all???
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burndug

They are on the Crispy Clark gravy train.......Working for Kiewet building highways, bridges, and destroying what is left of the environment through some wonderful mining practices....If not they work for BC Hydro or one the the construction companies that built that 600 million dollar eyesore downtown that leaks and has a one year warranty.....The list goes on and on....
So you're just going for the full on crazy guy role now that cambium is retired?
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

I can see this thread will be a train wreck in no time...
I think this thread is coming off more redneck than the sledders are and the last time I looked in the mirror this morning I kinda fit sgRant's description minus the anti-social behaviours. For the record, I've used sleds in the past but generally work related or ski patrol. I've worked with the resource industries who if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have some of the trails and access to areas that we have today but I also believe in stewardship of the wilderness and resource management. If areas are designated as protected then they need to be protected.

I'm not sure how much clout and power BC fish and wildlife has with repect to policing conservancies but I would think they have more of a budget than BC Parks given their mandate is to manage and protect wildlife and their habitat. Perhaps they could be called in at a moments notice (They seem to have enough of a budget to shoot people's pets[:0] ok ok I know innapropriate [B)]).

I would think that protecting wildlife in nature conservancies and Parks would be a priority for them. So the question is, can they be utilized more effectively for enforcement in this issue? Their enforcement mandate already covers Parks. They definitely walk and carry a bigger stick further North when it comes to enforcing sledders and poaching. Just asking?
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Summit Master

Question - are the local pilots and Heli-ski operators documenting and reporting activity when they see it?
post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM
High on the Mountain Top

As always we have bad apples in any activity, camping, biking, hiking etc..

Snowmobiles obviously are a huge thorn because of the noise,smell and destruction they cause. So when they intrude into self-propelled areas people are pissed...

Bottom line all the government needs to do is just like street racing. Impound the vehicle(sled) and then sell it to fund enforcement.
Once offenders find out their ride will be taken and sold for infractions things change quickly. Just like street racing it turned that problem around very quickly.

Its pretty easy for the government to rent a chopper or two and catch dozens of sleds in one weekend. Send a strong signal that every infraction results in rides being impounded. Bobs your uncle and every sled forum is going to go hog wild with chatter.

But we have to remember the government is looking at the upside of Sleds. The sales tax on truck, trailer, sled purchases and tax on fuel. As well the boost in sales for sled gear etc etc etc..

just my .02
Possibly we need to promote a new sport Biathlon with sled targets

post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camshaft

Its pretty easy for the government to rent a chopper or two and catch dozens of sleds in one weekend.
Are they gonna drop nets on them or use tranquilizer guns?
post #25 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

im at the chalet right now waiting to snap photos of the illegal grouse grinders ...

we wouldnt want to have different rules for different folks would we now
post #26 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

I just wrote a letter to the editor of the Pique. If you want to actually do something about this problem (rather than just whine on the internet) you could do the same. Or write a letter to your MLA. I hear there's this thing called an election coming up soon.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: leaping building with a single bound

Don't know what all the raging is about.Ok once in a blue moon the odd asshole snow machine might make it in there but big wup. It's utter bullshit that they are going to cause any damage,It's friggen snow and ice. The "harm" is very temporary. This park thing get's taken too far with all these bogus excessive rules it's almost like you'll get a fine if you fart in a park. In practice the best protection a park provides is it keeps the loggers out .That is 99.999% of the intent. If you look on Google Earth at the surrounding land of a park it has been raped, tilled,bulldozed to death and that kind of damage cannot compare to dropping a turd way out in the back country, running over a shrew with your mountain bike or having an occasional fire. Parks are for all people to enjoy without the need of running around in felt sneakers so we don't scratch the friggin rocks. It get's too anal sometimes. By the thaw or the next snowfall the evidence of that snow mobile will be gone so quit crying over it for more friggen rules.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Ignorant farts abound.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Having Fun!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fredrick

Don't know what all the raging is about.Ok once in a blue moon the odd asshole snow machine might make it in there but big wup. It's utter bullshit that they are going to cause any damage,It's friggen snow and ice. The "harm" is very temporary. This park thing get's taken too far with all these bogus excessive rules it's almost like you'll get a fine if you fart in a park. In practice the best protection a park provides is it keeps the loggers out .That is 99.999% of the intent. If you look on Google Earth at the surrounding land of a park it has been raped, tilled,bulldozed to death and that kind of damage cannot compare to dropping a turd way out in the back country, running over a shrew with your mountain bike or having an occasional fire. Parks are for all people to enjoy without the need of running around in felt sneakers so we don't scratch the friggin rocks. It get's too anal sometimes. By the thaw or the next snowfall the evidence of that snow mobile will be gone so quit crying over it for more friggen rules.
AwesomePost!!!
post #30 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Parks are not created for people. They are created to preserve and protect unique and wild areas. We are only stewards and sometimes visitors to these areas. In that role, we have an obligation to leave an area as we found it, without disturbing the flora, fauna or natural features in a permanent way. I think narona and fredick miss this concept.
Two cycle engines constantly exhaust oil and a 600 lb. machine compresses the snowpack, losing it's insulating properties for the flora below and the noise of snow machines really does disrupt wildlife. While it may not seem evident at the time or when the snow melts, this activity does eventually take it's toll.
I kind of like camshaft's idea of using helicopters, but think dru's concepts are too wimpy. I think dynamite would be more effective.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page