SAR for Ohly - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Yea I agree with Marc, I'd actually be getting rid of the dog. What good is a dog that doesn't come when called? Get rid of it, especially if you need the help of others to get your dog back (regardless if they volunteer). Even though the dog was covered by donations I still don't think NSR should of been there. What if the helicopter crashed over a dog? Now the NSR will get lots of dog calls in the future.

Perhaps the dog thought he would have to eat the bill so he kept running away from the copter .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Scaling New Heights

@AcesHigh:
"Get rid of the dog"? Seriously? How does that solve anything? The "get rid of" options there are either give the dog away or kill it. Let's examine:
1) Give it to someone. Doesn't make the dog less prone to running away. Just means it is likely to run away from a different owner. (Unless the new owner trains the dog better.)
2) Drop it at the pound. There are already way too many dogs waiting for rescue.
3) Kill it. That sounds a bit unreasonable as a reaction to a crime as minor as running away. It didn't rip the face off some toddler while in the bush. Not to mention, it would be a slap in the face for everyone who (as has been pointed out) risked their own safety in order to bring the dog back alive!

How about just employing some groundbreaking technology to prevent dogs from running amok: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo
post #48 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Yea I agree with Marc, I'd actually be getting rid of the dog. What good is a dog that doesn't come when called? Get rid of it, especially if you need the help of others to get your dog back (regardless if they volunteer). Even though the dog was covered by donations I still don't think NSR should of been there. What if the helicopter crashed over a dog? Now the NSR will get lots of dog calls in the future.

Perhaps the dog thought he would have to eat the bill so he kept running away from the copter .
I'm not really sure if you are serious. I also agree with Marc, but not with you. Get rid of the dog because he has some issues? Perhaps it is the owners that have the issues. Don't get a dog if you want a perfect one. Volunteering at a shelter for 9 years and being heavily involved, I am not surprised by your words. So many people try and dump their dogs when they don't turn out to be 'Lassie', and some effort needs to be taken.
There is a misconception that shelter dogs are homeless for good reason (behavioral/temperment issues). They are homeless because people didn't want to put in the time to raise them properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

+1

Lucky for the owners, the sappy readers and followers paid up the bill pretty uick and then some. I hope they learned their lesson and are embarassed as all hell.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John and Katie

Quote:

I'm not really sure if you are serious. I also agree with Marc, but not with you. Get rid of the dog because he has some issues? Perhaps it is the owners that have the issues. Don't get a dog if you want a perfect one. Volunteering at a shelter for 9 years and being heavily involved, I am not surprised by your words. So many people try and dump their dogs when they don't turn out to be 'Lassie', and some effort needs to be taken.
There is a misconception that shelter dogs are homeless for good reason (behavioral/temperment issues). They are homeless because people didn't want to put in the time to raise them properly.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Summit Master

Yea thats right I said get rid of the dog... If you plan on taking it places and it will run away any chance it will get, and not listen to you, get rid of it. Give the dog to a farmer that can let the dog run free.

Double Edit:
Obviously the dog wants to be free and not have to listen to anyone, make its wishes come true!!! I didn't say anything about taking it to a pound or killing it.

post #51 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

I sure hope you don't have a dog

Congratulations on a job well done! Hope the owners get a good leash.
post #52 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

I sure hope you don't have a dog

Congratulations on a job well done! Hope the owners get a good leash.
If I did, and if he wouldn't listen to me and always wanted to run wild, I'd make his wishes come true. No sense caging an animal that doesn't want to be caged is there? It's against the animals wishes.

post #53 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

By that logic,there's no point feeding kids veggies....they hate them!!!
post #54 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

Quote:
quote:They are homeless because people didn't want to put in the time to raise them properly.
That's really the crux of the dog issue(s): People want the rights/benefits but they don't want the attendant responsibilities (because they're lazy).
post #55 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

To clarify some things...Unless its changed without me knowing, there is a policy for SAR to respond to these incidents for the very reasons stated here. People do have emotional attachments to their pets and to keep people from putting themselves into dangerous situations, SAR will respond. However as in any First Responder incident these days it is responder safety first. I am a SAR manager, part time paramedic and full time fire fighter. In all of those roles the goal is to help but the priorities are Self, Team, Bystanders, Subjects. There is constantly risk vs reward analysis happening.

The second point of clarification is an easy misconception. While SAR volunteers are covered for "workplace injuries" it technically isn't through WCB. There are no premiums paid but WCB protocols and criteria are used to determine any benefits that need to be paid.
post #56 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kootenay Kid

To clarify some things...Unless its changed without me knowing, there is a policy for SAR to respond to these incidents for the very reasons stated here. People do have emotional attachments to their pets and to keep people from putting themselves into dangerous situations, SAR will respond. However as in any First Responder incident these days it is responder safety first. I am a SAR manager, part time paramedic and full time fire fighter. In all of those roles the goal is to help but the priorities are Self, Team, Bystanders, Subjects. There is constantly risk vs reward analysis happening.

The second point of clarification is an easy misconception. While SAR volunteers are covered for "workplace injuries" it technically isn't through WCB. There are no premiums paid but WCB protocols and criteria are used to determine any benefits that need to be paid.
That's not correct.

http://embc.gov.bc.ca/em/policy/5.12-_WCB_Coverage.pdf
post #57 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Yea thats right I said get rid of the dog... If you plan on taking it places and it will run away any chance it will get, and not listen to you, get rid of it. Give the dog to a farmer that can let the dog run free.

Double Edit:
Obviously the dog wants to be free and not have to listen to anyone, make its wishes come true!!! I didn't say anything about taking it to a pound or killing it.
I'm still not sold that you are serious, but I'll play anyway, just in case.
I don't believe it is obvious that the dog just wants to be free and not have to listen to anyone. Sounds to me like the dog was running scared, and not for a life of freedom in the cold, snowy hills of Mt. Seymour. Sounds like all these people need to do is get to know their dog better, form a stronger bond, build up his confidence, and brush up on some basic training. With all that, I am certain Ohly could enjoy a life full of off leash fun in the right environment, and I have no doubt he and his family are now being offered plenty of guidance in this regard.
To me, this sounds like a much better approach than just simply getting rid of him. More work, yes, but that much more of a reward. : )
post #58 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Summit Master

If dogs could speak English,this is what they would say....

1) My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful remember that before you get me. … 2) Give me time to understand what you want of me. … 3) Place your trust in me—it is crucial to my well being. … 4) Do not be angry at me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment. … 5) You have your work, your entertainment,and your friends. I only have you. … 6) Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me. … 7) Be aware that how ever you treat me, I will never forget. … 8) Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily hurt you, but I choose not to bite you because I love you. … 9) Before you scold me for being uncooperative,obstinate,or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I might not be getting the right food, or I have been out too long, or my heart is getting to old and weak. … 10) Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say: “I cannot bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there, even my death. Remember that I love you.
post #59 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Holy anthropomorphisms Batman!
post #60 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

If dogs "bark bark bark" could be translated into English, it would sound something like, "hey hey hey". Not too much brain power there.

The best quote I heard was from a Northern trapper, "I don't let my dogs suffer in old age. I eat them before they get that tough."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page