User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kid Charlemagne

So my next question would be, if I lose my favourite ski's up there, and a dozen of my friends decide they want to go help me look, is it reasonable to have SAR step in and oversee the search in the interest of mitigating risk to those who would volunteer the search?
Missed that post^^^

I think you'd find that SAR would opt to not participate in your search for skis until or unless you called for help because you were lost or endangered.

Good luck finding a dozen friends to search for a pair of skis, but I'd bet you'd have an easier time finding a dozen friends to help search for your dog. Difference is, to those who have pets and care about them, is that your skis are merely possessions, but your dog is family. Opinions may differ, but that's my take
The only point of that post was the segue to the next one where I ask about my pet bunny. What I'm getting at is, where do we draw the line, and the questioning doesn't have to be SAR specific, it can apply to any FR agency.

Should firefighters enter a fully involved burning structure fire with no one inside? No. With people inside? Yes. With the family dog inside? Uhhh. How about the family goldfish? Getting silly? What about a family pet tortoise, don't those things live longer than people?

So if the family threatens to go inside to save the turtle, should the firefighters change their decision and go do the dirty work so the family doesn't?

I get that people like dogs and all of that, but this was a provincially sanctioned task, regardless of who was footing the bill for the resources. If there was an accident involving a helicopter or a snowmobile resulting in loss of life, we would be having another provincial inquiry, and all sorts of questions would be asked.

It's absolutely silly to wait until after an accident happens to ask questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Having read the rest of the posts, I can see where you're coming from. If something happened questions would certainly be asked, and it might be that guidelines for sanctioning rescues would be more clearly defined.

Edit: I do know that for each rescue a task number must be obtained first, but I have no idea what the specific guidelines would be. I guess that question is better answered by someone in search management
post #33 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

Quote:

So my next question would be, if I lose my favourite ski's up there, and a dozen of my friends decide they want to go help me look, is it reasonable to have SAR step in and oversee the search in the interest of mitigating risk to those who would volunteer the search?
Missed that post^^^

I think you'd find that SAR would opt to not participate in your search for skis until or unless you called for help because you were lost or endangered.

Good luck finding a dozen friends to search for a pair of skis, but I'd bet you'd have an easier time finding a dozen friends to help search for your dog. Difference is, to those who have pets and care about them, is that your skis are merely possessions, but your dog is family. Opinions may differ, but that's my take
Your skis aren't gonna starve to death so you can wait till they melt out in the spring and pick them up then just like the pros do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Should firefighters enter a fully involved burning structure fire with no one inside?

If there was an accident involving a helicopter or a snowmobile resulting in loss of life, we would be having another provincial inquiry, and all sorts of questions would be asked.

It's absolutely silly to wait until after an accident happens to ask questions.
Firefighters should make their own decisions on how and when they enter a fire.

SAR professionals should make their own decisions on how they handle requests for help.

If SAR had not stepped in and an untrained person got injured or killed in an accident there would have been many more inquiries.

BTW. I have worked with fire fighters and I think they would go in to rescue a dog. I have also worked and trained SAR Techs and I think they would go on a dog rescue mission.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Summit Master

Got him
post #36 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by joker

Firefighters should make their own decisions on how and when they enter a fire.

SAR professionals should make their own decisions on how they handle requests for help.

If SAR had not stepped in and an untrained person got injured or killed in an accident there would have been many more inquiries.

BTW. I have worked with fire fighters and I think they would go in to rescue a dog. I have also worked and trained SAR Techs and I think they would go on a dog rescue mission.
Let me be clear that I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong here, all I'm saying is that there's plenty of room for questions and clarity.

While it may appear that SAR teams have the autonomy to decide how to handle requests for help, that simply isn't the case. There's a provincial framework under which they operate, and tasking themselves is not part of that framework.

Your assertion that untrained persons getting injured would result in an inquiry has little relevance to the idea that trained individuals getting injured would also end up resulting in an inquiry. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember, but in the late nineties, 4 expert climbers in the French Alps died, one at a time falling, trying to save a dog. I would assume that would be treated like any climbing accident, and don't see why that would warrant a state or provincial inquiry. Why do you think that would warrant an inquiry?

And to say that you know SAR techs and fire fighters and that they would rescue a dog is a silly statement, joker. Fire fighters and SAR techs would judge each case on it's own merits before deciding whether to proceed with a canine rescue. And to a large extent, their decisions would be guided by policy and protocol. Can you tell me if these same SAR techs and fire fighters that you know would save a cat, a snake, or a 50 year old tortoise?
post #37 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Why do you think that would warrant an inquiry?

And to say that you know SAR techs and fire fighters and that they would rescue a dog is a silly statement, joker.

Fire fighters and SAR techs would judge each case on it's own merits before deciding whether to proceed with a canine rescue. And to a large extent, their decisions would be guided by policy and protocol. Can you tell me if these same SAR techs and fire fighters that you know would save a cat, a snake, or a 50 year old tortoise?
Untrained people ask SAR for help, SAR says no, untrained people go and try to rescue and get injured/killed. Politicians, family, etc. ask for injury of why didn't SAR help.

So my opinion where I stated "I think" is silly? lol, ok.

I'm also very aware of go, no go decisions for rescue personnel. And I think that there would be fire fighters and SAR Techs willing to go rescue a cat, snake, 50 year old tortoise.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I am a firefighter, and I like tortoises. Each event requires its own decisions. It is called calculated risk. However, generally no firefighter enters a " fully engulfed" building. Quite a drastic comparision to the SAR rescue. Kind of like comparing "you might die" to " you might live".
post #39 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

Got him

Congrats & good job!

...any bacon still out there?
post #40 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Well done SAR, and that photo is priceless.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:

Got him
Well done, Ryan and everyone else from NSR who answered the call. In the end it was about doing the right thing, and the right thing got done
post #42 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Quote:

Got him
Good job!
post #43 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Tough dog!
post #44 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burndug

Put your dogs on a LEASH..Fairly simple. SAR should not be risking their lives for a dog especially when the owner is too stupid to leash the dog and have it under control at all times.
On their FB "Find OHLY" page they mention that this is the THIRD time the dog has run off. Seriously, I'm hoping they're paying the full cost of this rescue themselves because if they still haven't figured out to keep their dog on a leash then maybe they shouldn't be pet owners in the first place.
I'm glad that NSR rescued him but these people don't seem to be able to learn a lesson.
post #45 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Headed for the Mountains

FIND OHLY
Tim Jones Status Update:
"Helicopter Bill Covered!!!

I deeply appreciate the hundreds of heart felt comments via Face Book , Twitter etc regarding our rescue of Ohly. Thank you.

...We have received more than enough donations to cover helicopter time now!!!

Thank you everyone!"

Tim will be going to his executive to ask that the extra donations made will be set in a reserve fund for the next dog rescue!

We the Goads, can not thank everyone enough! This adventure that Ohly took us on has taught us that even in the big city community does exist. We can not thank the NSR enough for bringing our boy home, the volunteers that kept us going, and all the other supporters and donors. The NSR will be a annual cause that we will donate to, again we can not thank you all enough.See More
Unlike · · Share · 13 seconds ago · You and Jodie Meyer Oates like this..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page