Meager Hotsprings- No Easy Access! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Meager Hotsprings- No Easy Access!

I flew up to the Meager Creek valley to check out possible locations for a new road to replace the one destroyed by the massive August, 2010 Capricorn Creek landslide.

Suffice it to say, there is no easy way to re-establish road access up the valley, or even to hike up to the hot springs. If you follow the original road on the north side of Meager Creek, you first need to cross the Lillooet River and then fight your way through unstable landslide deposits for about 3 km. Then you need to cross Capricorn Creek and somehow find your way up the mud slopes on the north side of Meager Creek to eventually get to the old road. This would involve a lot of bushwhacking in thick second growth timber, or walking across steep mud slopes.

If you follow the Lillooet South road and then hike along the edge of the Lillooet River and Meager Creek floodplain, you eventually get to the place opposite Capricorn Creek where the landslide ran up the hill for about 250 metres. At this point, Meager Creek is located right up against the steep bank, and it would be difficult and dangerous to get through this point. Farther up, there are other places where the presence of braided channels and steep slopes would make progress very difficult.

Looking north across Meager Creek at the landslide debris in Capricorn Creek.

Right (south) bank of Meager Creek opposite Capricorn Creek. Notice the steep slopes and the fact that the river is right up against the steep and unstable bank.

Looking northwest up Meager Creek from near the confluence of Meager and Capricorn Creek- the original road was right at the bottom of the slope on the far side- but this is now covered in mud and has the river running right along the bottom of the steep bank.

So if you want to get to Meager Hotsprings, there are really only five options: 1. hike in from the Elaho River. 2. hike in from South Creek, and then over the divide and down Hotsprings Creek (this involves a significant amount of glacier travel). 3. bushwack from the highest road at the end of the Lillooet South road system to the highest road that was built up from Hotsprings Creek. 4. helicopter in from Pemberton or Whistler. 5. Hike up on the right (SW) bank of the Lillooet River, then around the corner and up the right (SE) bank of Meager Creek; staying low on the floodplain, or the slope just above it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I saw two groups fording the river last week-end and also I know someone from last year used ladder to cross the river. Pebble is getting crowded now
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Scaling New Heights

The hike in from Elaho involves crossing Cessna Creek, which is currently without a bridge. There is a thread on this forum (last week) proposing to build a new bridge, but the idea's champion (Steventy) has concluded it isn't really feasible right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Or option 5

Cross Lilloet river stick to the east side and hike to the hotsprings. The hiking is really not that bad.

Crossing the Lilloet is likely done for this year now. I know I'm not using an extension ladder lol

This was our choice.

Quote:
quote: walking across steep mud slopes.
Walking across steep unstable mud slopes with quicksand mud where the slope meets the water of the river
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Frank, couldn't road builders just trench a new channel for Meager Creek down the centre of the debris flow? Then run the road up the east side?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked

Frank, couldn't road builders just trench a new channel for Meager Creek down the centre of the debris flow? Then run the road up the east side?
That would likely work ... until the next debris flow event takes place. I think the road, if it's replaced, needs to cut into the east side bank up higher and out of reach of these massive slides that originate from the Meager group.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked

And this is why I love Canada. Even the idea that this could possibly get the required permits in the US is laughable.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I think the slide was likely the last straw for official public access to Meager. It's only by pure luck that nobody was killed, a few hours earlier or later and people would have been in the path, and I've seen the way the slide almost miraculously wrapped around the campsite but spared it.
A road will likely be built, but gated, closed to the public and possibly manned during busy times. Maybe a drawbridge, lowered and manned only during active hauling? That would be a clever and effective solution. (From the viewpoint of the ministry of forests.)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi Frank et al,

I am not sure if you know but the VOC has submitted an application to build a trail to our Harrison Hut. At present all that is there is a rough route part of the way there. Details can be found here http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Harrison_Hut_route
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bensp

Hi Frank et al,

I am not sure if you know but the VOC has submitted an application to build a trail to our Harrison Hut. At present all that is there is a rough route part of the way there. Details can be found here http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Harrison_Hut_route
Looks like it has the potential to be a good route. Has it been checked out on the ground, to see if it's feasible?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

There's a big VOC group going to the hotsprings this weekend.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for the pictures Frank. I'd love to see it in person.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Good News Bear

The hike in from Elaho involves crossing Cessna Creek, which is currently without a bridge. There is a thread on this forum (last week) proposing to build a new bridge, but the idea's champion (Steventy) has concluded it isn't really feasible right now.
I still believe it's feasible but it would be a significant undertaking and there are a number of things to do and check before there is a use for boots on the ground.

More importantly though, I just recently learned of the new section of trail that the VOC is building from the north.
http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Harrison_Hut_route

If that route works out well, then it may make more sense to just access the Hundred Lakes Plateau and the Elaho valley from the north instead of from the south and to leave Cesna Creek without a bridge. From a maintenance point of view, a trail is always better than a bridge. I don't think that the Randy Stoltmann Wilderness route was ever that attractive as a traverse because of the extremely lengthy car shuttle that would be required between the two end-points so I think it's ok if there is only reliable access from one side.

I was going to head up there today to check the road and trail out but a bad cold has me stuck inside.

It looks like that section of trail may provide very useful access to Harrison Hut, Meager Creek Hotsprings and maybe also the Hundred Lakes Plateau.

Kudos to the VOC for all the hard work on this well chosen project. If they need any help, I'm sure they would get a few people from this board who could come up for a weekend, myself included.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scottN

There's a big VOC group going to the hotsprings this weekend.
Aargh- with all this rain, I sure hope that everyone stays safe! Anytime there's more than 25 mm of rain in a day, everyone in suspect terrain should be careful!

post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Summit Master

The trouble with restricting public access is that it allows for the government to exploit the area unopposed. Next thing you know is there is more extensive logging up the Elaho and geothermal power coming to the Meager area.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by path finder

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bensp

Hi Frank et al,

Looks like it has the potential to be a good route. Has it been checked out on the ground, to see if it's feasible?
This is my no. 3 option described above- and should work really well (although it's never potentially good until it's walked and assessed on a metre by metre basis by someone with considerable trail building and terrain expertise).

One big problem is the exposure to avalanche hazard along the South Lillooet road.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page