Friends of Garibaldi Trail Building Project - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Friends of Garibaldi Trail Building Project

A number of us are going up to Black Tusk Meadows this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (September 15, 16, 17th) to do a work bee under the direction of Parks staff on some portions of the trails in the area.

More volunteers are needed, especially for the second work effort mid-week on September 24, 25, and 26. This is all being done under the auspices of the Friends of Garibaldi Park Society, a volunteer group dedicated to helping make this beautiful park even better!

We are meeting at 9 am on Saturday at the Black Tusk Parking lot- but you need to contact Kirsten at kirstenreinholz@hotmail.com to let her know you are interested and to sign up and get a volunteer permission form. Camping will be free- but you need to bring your own food, camping gear, and warm clothing. All tools will be provided by Parks.

The bonus if you go up this weekend is that you get a free geology field tour and basic trail building seminar from me on the walk up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Glad to see a relationship developed and the project getting legs. I had plans on doing Weart on one of the next two weekends but may be able to take some time during the week of 24, 25 and 26. If anyone wants to carpool pm me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

It was fun, fun, fun until they took our mattocks and shovels away! Seriously, we had a very enjoyable time digging new ditches and building bridges, and generally, improving water management.

For me, the highlight was building the approach steps for the new Parnasus Creek bridge. This creek has not had a satisfactory crossing for years, even though it is on the main trail to Garibaldi Lake- so now, we are a major step forward, so to speak.

Now we just need to install better steps on the other end!

There is another Friends of Garibaldi Park Society work bee on September 24, 25, and 26- so if you are keen to help out, contact our super-organizer, Kirsten at kirstenreinholz@hotmail.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Thank you for building the nice looking bridge and steps. Someday I will pass there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

The bridge was already there, we just built the steps on the one end. But even as we finished, a number of older hikers who had come over the bridge on their way up to Garibaldi Lake were most appreciative of how much easier it was on the way back down.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Great job!!! If I still lived down there I would join!!! Very worthy project
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thank you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page