ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   glacier scrambling rope (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/43017-glacier-scrambling-rope.html)

harry99 09-06-2012 02:56 PM

glacier scrambling rope

I need a recomendation of a rope to buy, im taking a glacier course and they supply ropes
But after the course im going to need a rope
So for 3 people and can handle falls into crevaces

mick range 09-06-2012 03:05 PM

Wait till you take the course and ask the instructor. I'm sure he/she might have a good suggestion or two

harry99 09-06-2012 04:16 PM

I realize this but I only want to make one trip to mec, and I have to go there before the course for carabiners

Dru 09-06-2012 04:22 PM

There's no such thing as a glacier scrambling rope. When you are on a glacier and roped up, you are climbing.

Marduk 09-06-2012 04:33 PM

I suggest you use a 12mm 220 metre static line, with steel XL Biners, atleast 7 of them. Super lightweight, and easy to pack.[}:)]

harry99 09-06-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Marduk

I suggest you use a 12mm 220 metre static line, with steel XL Biners, atleast 7 of them. Super lightweight, and easy to pack.[}:)]
Great thanks

johngenx 09-06-2012 05:39 PM

Oh, Marduk, he should just get a spool, and bring that.

Please stop saying "glacier scrambling." There really isn't any such term. Glacier travel is one thing, scrambling is another. When the glacier gets steep, it might turn to alpine ice climbing.

Do you want the rope to do other things? I have a bunch of different ropes. Some I use for glacier travel and low angle snow/ice climbing, others for leading on rock or ice, or combinations of both. A half rope makes a nice glacier travel rope, but you can't do a lot of other things with it.

no quitting 09-06-2012 05:59 PM

Oh Harry..............

alpalmer 09-06-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by no quitting

Oh Harry..............
another great thread is born ;)

burndug 09-06-2012 06:42 PM

Crampons, 16mm rope, harness, ice tools, plastic boots, ice screws, pickets, carabiners, belay device, helmet, avalanche transceiver, probes and probably a few other items are needed for glacier "Travel" not "Scrambling."

prother 09-06-2012 07:02 PM

Harry,you have just set yourself up for another bashing from the "peanut gallery". Either you are doing this on purpose, just to create another entertaining thread and if so, you're good... or you really don't have a clue and are honestly asking for some opinion. If the latter, I would suggest you not ask on this forum and get professional help (double entendre there).

harry99 09-06-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by no quittingv

Oh Harry..............
Oh what?

harry99 09-06-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Dru

There's no such thing as a glacier scrambling rope. When you are on a glacier and roped up, you are climbing.
Not everybody knows everything

Dru 09-06-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by burndug

Crampons, 16mm rope, harness, ice tools, plastic boots, ice screws, pickets, carabiners, belay device, helmet, avalanche transceiver, probes and probably a few other items are needed for glacier "Travel" not "Scrambling."
You forgot the secret weapon (starts with a b, and not beacon)

johngenx 09-06-2012 07:46 PM

Bacon!!

Seriously...

Are you sure you need to buy a rope right away? Most experienced climbers have a quiver of ropes, and odds are at least one of your partners will have a rope that will work for the objective.