glacier scrambling rope - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Dru (and other "merry makers"),

Just to clarify... There's "glacier climbing" and there's "glacier walking", both probably roped, so what would something in between be described as?

If I were "mountain climbing" or "mountain hiking" and maybe not even roped up, what would something in between be referred to?

Sure looks like "scrambling" fits the description. So why dump on an obvious beginner for using the (perceived) wrong nomenclature?

Everybody starts somewhere and hopefully doesn't get dumped on and made fun of by more experienced people, but rather gets some good solid advice.

Now, if Harry is pulling our collective legs, I take all that finger wagging back. He never did answer my query whether he was for real or not... Harry?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

While we are debating books...
I found this to be a fun and affordable addition to FOTH:
http://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Mounta...glacier+travel

and there are many other books that provide more comprehensive coverage on avalanches than what is in FOTH.

Harry:
As others have indicated you will want to consider a few things when selecting a rope.
How would you prioritize these three characteristics?
- Cost
- Weight
- Versatility

post #33 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

Everybody starts somewhere and hopefully doesn't get dumped on and made fun of by more experienced people, but rather gets some good solid advice.

OMG, when I started climbing, my partners teased incessantly me about my lack of knowledge and goofs. They laughed at my hodad pack with crap dangling off it. They pointed to my disheveled racking of gear and after the laughing stopped, they explained that I should tidy it up to prevent it from catching on things. They facepalmed when I tried to tie an alpine butterfly and made something that wasn't even a knot. I had to carry the rope on every trip. I ran the stove. I carted water.

I paid attention, and tried to learn as much as possible. I still stay humble and try to get out with experienced people, and sometimes I have to put with some ribbing (mostly about my skiing these days) and it's worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

John,

It sounds like you went through the typical "English boys school" type of introduction to backpacking and mountaineering, with "hazing", for the lack of a better word. I was introduced to the outdoors by people that just wanted to pass on their knowledge. There was no "butt of the joke" put on the learner, from the instructor. I guess we grew up in different times.

post #35 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

If you are on a glacier without a harness and a bunch of prussiks, pulleys, screws and other crevasse rescue equipment, and you think a rope will help you scramble along the glacier, then all you are actually doing is increasing the risk to you and your partners by roping up.

Why just kill yourself when by roping up with a glacier scrambling rope you can take a 'friend' with you, or even kill a whole team of 6 like on Mt Hood?
post #36 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

I think the point is well made that whatever you decide to do, you should learn all you can and be safe as possible, Harry. As well, whoever you travel with should also have availed themselves of the necessary knowledge. Good luck, mate.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Summit Master

Harry99 is taking a course. I feel confident going out on a limb and saying that they'll teach him all about crevasse rescue and won't have him tie the rope in a bowline around his waist and head on out there with his head up his arse.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

You can't teach a person anything if they are not willing to learn...
post #39 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

You can't teach a person anything if they are not willing to learn...
and no one listens to someone that knws everything, they already know what he has said before he is done
post #40 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

LET'S RELAX.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page