utopia lake squamish - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: mtn biking, surfing, bmx, skimboarding, rock climbing, skateboarding, snowboarding and of course hiking.
Default utopia lake squamish

has anyone been up to utopia lake in squamish? Im thinking about going up there for a 1 night trip, but i havnt heard much about it.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Carry the water at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean!
Talking Heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Summit Master

are you sure that Utopia is its name? I cannot find it in the encyclopedia

cheers - C Wall
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Looks like its just south of Sky Pilot. Strange that its not in Bivouac.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/publica...map/inset1.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Couple of us went to the trip in that area (Sky Pilot), look for the trip report here:
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3559

Also, take a look at Spider Girl's trip reports, you'll find more details there:
http://www.mountaingirl.net/ben_lomond03/index.htm
http://www.mountaingirl.net/mtnlakehut/index.htm

You can access the trail either from Ferry Creak or Brittania Beach. We took the Ferry Creak access. Directions grom SpiderGirl's trip report:

"Take the Sea to Sky highway past the Furry Creek Golf Course, up the hill and then take your first right. At the 't' junction turn right. The red gate should be right there. You do need a key to open the gate. Contact me for more info. Drive for about half an hour, keeping left until you get to a stream crossing the road. Park here and continue hiking up the road until you see the trail branching off on your left."

Directions from Brittania Beach taken from a book by Jack Christie (I copied this from another thread):
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3403

"A road runs through the town (Britannia Beach) and back up into the folds of the Britannia Range, to the sides of aptly named Mount Sheer. Along the way it passes another mine shaft. The easy 3-mi. (4.5 km) walk to the old site, abandoned in 1958, follows the original road, a 90-minute journey one way.

To reach the gate where the trail begins, turn in at the entrance to the B.C. Museum of Mining, drive past the mining offices and continue nearly a mile (1.4 km) uphill on the paved road, bearing right at all times. There's plenty of room for parking on the street in front of the gate."

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:36 PM

Last Sunday I was there and I did half way to the Utopia Lake. The route (smooth 2dw) is not as straightforward to follow as one may think.
This info can be useful for you:

1. Pass the Museum and Post office in Britannia Beach then a small bridge. Then keep right and follow Copper Dr. At the end there is a blue gate. Park there.
2. Pass the gate, after 200m take left. This is a logging road that goes up.
3. Follow the road. In ~ 700m from start there is a sharp left turn. Keep left, the road goes up.
4. After 1.5km from the start there is a curve with another blue gate, pass it. Continue the road.
5. At 5km there is junction. Keep left.
6. At 6km there is a solid bridge, pass it. Here snow started. Just after the bridge (at a curve) take right up, then shortly right again.
7. Then at ~7km there is Sheer Town site (not 4.5 as reported). At this point returned back (strong rain all day).

There is another 6km to the lake from this point.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 10:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

HAVING PERUSED SEVERAL REPORTS ON HOW TO ACCSESS THE MINING ROAD THAT LEADS TO UTOPIA LAKE I'M AMAZED YOU HAVE'NT BEEN TOWED AWAY AS COPPER BEACH ESTATES IS PRIVATE PROPERTY. NO TRESSPASSING SIGN IS 20 FEET UP A TELEPHONE POLE BEFORE CROSSING BRIDGE AND GOING UP COPPER DR.
THE BEST WAY TO GET TO UTOPIA LAKE IS :START AT TOP OF FURRY CRIK HILL AND DRIVE UP TO FIRST JUNCTION ,TURN LEFT IGNORE RED GATE ON RIGHT. LEFT ROAD TAKES YOU TO UPPER PARKING LOT ON BRITANNIA MAIN.PARK NOWHERE NEAR GATE .TAKE OUT YOUR MOUNTAIN BIKE AND DAY/OVERNITE PACK AMD PROCEED UP . AT ABOUT 4KM ON MARCH 12/04 THERE WAS SOME BLASTING BEING DONE ON A 250M STRETCH OF ROAD ,AND IT SHOULD BE CLEARED NOW . CONTINUE UP TO OLD TOWN OF MT SHEER,AT 7KM. FIND THE WATER MEASURING GALVINIZED PIPE ON JANE CRIK,AND LOOK WEST FOR THE JANE BASIN ROAD. THIS IS THE ROAD THAT WILL TAKE YOU AS FAR AS MARMOT CRIK,BEFORE THE SWITCHBACK TAKES YOU WESTERLY TO THE OPEN PIT. AT MARMOT CRIK HIDE YOUR LOCKED BIKE IN THE WOODS. NOW TO FIND THE ORIGINAL ROAD UP TO PARKLANE/UTOPIA LAKES YOU HAVE TO BUSHWHACK THROUGH ABOUT 100 M. OF FIR, DEVILS CLUB, AND POINTY BUSHES, BEFORE YOU FIND THE ORIGINAL ROAD ON SOUTH SIDE OF BRITANNIA CRIK. ROAD IS BADLY OVERGROWN. THE BEST WAY UP IS ON DRY, EMPASIS ON DRY ROCK OF RIVER BED.WHEN YOU APPROACH THE DAM WHICH WITH LITTLE IMAGINATION LOOKS LIKE A CITADEL RISING WELL ABOVE YOU CROSS BRITANNIA CRIK TO NORTH SIDE AS THE BREAK IN THE DAM IS ACCESIBLE ON NORTH SIDE ONLY. YOU CAN CRAWL UP ON TO THE DAM AT THIS POINT OR STAY ON OUTSIDE OF DAM AND HEAD NORTH TO END OF WALL. A BARELY DICERNABLE ROAD PROCEEDS NOTHEASTERLY FROM THERE AND WITH TWO SWITCHBACKS IN 1.5KM YOU ARRIVE AT UTOPIA LAKE. GO FOR A DIP . DRINK ANTIFREEZE YOU'LL NEED IT. REST , SNOOZE,RETURN TO BIKE AND CYCLE ALMOST 12KM DOWNHILL AND SMIRK AT THOSE PEOPLE WHO HIKE ALL THE WAY IN AND OUT!

----------------------------------------
Bruce W McLaughlin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Utopia 2015

Has anyone done this hike in the last few years? Any help would be great, thanks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hac2 View Post
Has anyone done this hike in the last few years? Any help would be great, thanks.
I got to Park Lane Lake, and saw flagging that carried on towards Utopia, but that was when you could still drive up the Brittania FSR. Now that access is prohibited, it's probably seeing very very few visitors.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 03:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.
Default beyond the no trespassing signs

Due to a few miscreants and various 4x4 clubs with some stupid members, the entire Britannia area is now closed to everyone. You might access Parklane and Utopia lakes from the Sky Pilot side of the mountain. Best in September when the water is above freezing if you wish to take a dip. The west side of the open pit at Britannia has a huge creeping crack that is threatening to turn into a slide. This , when it happens will fill the pit and then turn it's wrath on the downhill to Britannia creek. Serious pain to the people caught in or under it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

When you say the entire Britannia area is closed to everyone, does that include the dirt road portion of Copper Dr?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_pow View Post
When you say the entire Britannia area is closed to everyone, does that include the dirt road portion of Copper Dr?
Follow brucew directions. Ministry of Mines commissioned some work to decommission the dams that impound the lakes up that way: Park Lane, Utopia, Mountain. I think the first two were done in 2015. Mountain Lake dam will be removed in 2016. To do that work, tracked vehicles were proceeding up the old road bed next to Britannia Creek above Marmot Creek. So the old road may be okay to hike at the moment. BCMC requested the road work not be decommissioned.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. I'm actually not planning to go all the way to the lakes. I'm really just curious if a car can go farther than where the google street view car stops on Copper Dr.

Basically, I want to drive to where the blue arrow is in the third picture of this album http://imgur.com/a/KYo01
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Scaling New Heights

Yes that includes Copper Dr. There is alternate access via a gated road at the top of the hill between Furrry Creek and Britannia Bay, BCMC has the key to this gate but it can only be used for official trips posted on the BCMC site by approved trip leaders.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page