Garibaldi conditions for Canada Day weekend? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Garibaldi conditions for Canada Day weekend?

Hello everyone again!

What are the conditions in the Garibaldi Parks during late June and early July months?

Some of you know I am getting back into the swing of things for backpacking. My knowledge of terrian is old and lacking. Okay my physical physique is lacking as well

After reading the bear post from Baxtor I was curious if in this area most people hang or cache their food and personal hygiene items (ladies I need your input here as I have two female companions backpacking for their 1st or 2nd time).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

(Go Canucks!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

have a look at the BC Parks website, probally will still be in deep snow for a few more weeks to come
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Will do, in fact I will call the parks but I was hoping for some local knowledge on the weather for the long weekend. If the trip did not include several other hikers who want to "know everything" and may not have the proper gear at the moment I would not be so concerned.

On another note, isnt Birkenhead Lake higher elevation than Garibaldi?
How come there is no snow alert on the BC Park for Birkenhead Lake? When I visited this park for backpacking during the past mid-March it was beyond knee deep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCBoy88

No. It is about 900m lower.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:

No. It is about 900m lower.
And it is somewhat drier as well, so less snow accumulation.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I think there will probably be lots of snow well into July..
Maybe late July.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnsb

I think there will probably be lots of snow well into July..
Maybe late July.

Lots of snow, and lots of long weekend campers who will not be prepared for lots of snow (i.e. everyone will pack into the cooking shelters

-Ryan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

its around the 900-950m area

cheakamus lake trail had some snow on the 1.5K path then snow around 900-950 area towards Helm Creek Campground.
Snow was at the roof of the outhouse at Helm Creek Campground

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: I enjoy outdoor activities of all sorts, and always learning new ways to enjoy myself outside. Reading, socializing, travelling, and photography keep me busy as well.

Quote:

Hello everyone again!

What are the conditions in the Garibaldi Parks during late June and early July months?

Some of you know I am getting back into the swing of things for backpacking. My knowledge of terrian is old and lacking. Okay my physical physique is lacking as well

After reading the bear post from Baxtor I was curious if in this area most people hang or cache their food and personal hygiene items (ladies I need your input here as I have two female companions backpacking for their 1st or 2nd time).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

(Go Canucks!)
Currently, expect lots of snow (full coverage 1-2m deep) at about 1300m and up in the Sea to Sky area and deep pockets in shaded areas and North facing terrain down to about 850 -1000m.

This time of year its pretty difficult to predict what the mountains are going to look like more than a few days out. Its easy to underestimate what effects a stretch of hot summer weather can do to make the snowpack disappear. If the spring continues as it has then I would agree we will be snowbound in the alpine well into July (August?lol). However, I expect we are going to have a hot June and therefore all bets would be off for Canada Day.

Birkenhead is actually in a completely different snow climate than the Garibaldi area - many differences and what applies to one is very likely not going to apply to the other. The snow that does exist there (much less than the Coast Mountains normally) often contains less water and therefore evaporates much more quickly - also the area is a little more seasonal and often the transition to Summer brings in much warmer temps.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I am once again saved and wowed by the knowledge in the CT Community!
Thank you everyone for your input.

I have snow gear and I love cooking outdoors but a few companions for this trip will not want to venture or have any experience with melting snow.

Well time to look elsewhere for a trip!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Agree with summitseeker, right now there is still tons of snow, but this can change over a couple sunny weeks, check back later in June and have a backup trip plan in case we're still dealing with deep snow (quite possible).

Personally, I love to have some snow around especially if the weather is going to be hot, mmm snow angels after a hot hike, easy access to water, etc.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
If you are camping at the lake everyone hangs their food in the shelters. There is a cable running mid-cabin that you just carabiner your food bag to, just make sure to keep it between the 2 plastic cylinders on either end, keeps the rodents away!

From a female perspective all hygiene products, i.e. deodorant etc needs to be stored with the food. Try to encourage them to bring less. I personally don't take anything except deodorant(without scent preferably). Makeup, sprays or anything like that doesn't have any place in the backcountry. In regards to the more personal female hygiene products, if you pack it in you pack it out. Bring some ziploc bags to store such items once used.

Always remember [:I]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFO7Wo7ZCE
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Summit Master

Parks has finally provided an updated report.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/garibaldi/

Quote:
quote:Expect snow on trails, route finding in the alpine can be difficult. One to two metres of snow starts at 6km of the Rubble Creek Trail.

Be prepared for winter camping conditions. Garibaldi Lake and Taylor Meadows Campgrounds are under 2 to 3 metres of snow. Shovels are available at the shelters for making a flat spot on the snow, or digging down to the tent pads.
Please pay the camping fees: using cash or credit card at the parking lot.
And:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...ail_report.pdf

-Ryan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page