Snow shoeing overnighters like Elfin? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dmitrym

I'd prefer low avalanche danger and a cabin. The rest is secondary. The views going up to elfin lakes sucked, simply because the weather was horrible. Maybe next time.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by plav77

Does Windy Joe lookout have a wood stove or anything in it?
Then I'd recommend another trip to Elfin Lakes, when it's sunny

Windy Joe Lookout isn't a hut but a landmark, so there's no facilities at all. People who stay there overnight keep it neat and clean, though.

Windy Joe trail is short (8km one way) and not much of a view at all till you get to the top floor of the Lookout. But a nice safe place to play in the snow when other places are sketchy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

There is a "cabin" in Harvey Meadows. Hike up the burn on Harvey, and travel north about 1 km. It is quite primitive though.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tu

Something like Elfin - a warm and welcoming hut, simple avi terrain, absolutely stunning views on the way as well as at the destination, minimal elevation gain, good chance of a well-broken-in trail, well-traveled and plowed access road easy distance from Vancouver, real friendly crowds, and the best darn outhouse this side of the Rockies...

Nope

So what's your primary interest in the list of features?
For an easy day trip I recommend telemagique ridge in the Callaghan Valley. It's remarkably similar to Elfin except it lacks a hut. Easy access, moderate elevation gain, simple avalanche terrain, open meadows and great views in all directions once you gain the ridge crest. No orange wands to follow either, but you're pretty much guaranteed to have the place to yourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Not recommending this necessarily, but if the snowline is relatively high, has anyone tried accessing the Elsay Lake cabin by the Lower Elsay Trail in winter?

I know some people go via the regular trail in winter but in my opinion (probably in the opinion of most) that is incredibly unsafe. A buddy wanted to do an overnighter there a couple years back is why I ask, luckily we talked him out of it. Usually I am running and it is past the point of any real avy danger so I've never given it much thought or paid too much attention but from my foggy memory it seems to me that would cut you in after all the riskiest areas, assuming there is not much in the way of snow in the lower elevations where there are a lot of high angle slopes above you. The canyon of Elsay Creek protects you from the steep gulley to the north. Then you cut in on the far side of Canadian Pass. The trail itself is a pretty gentle grade from there but I don't remember what the slopes are like to the sides of the trail off the top of my head.

Just throwing it out for discussion at this point, I've only been up that way on spring snow and later in the summer when its gone. For anyone who doesn't already know there is a lot of extremely dangerous terrain in that area especially around Canadian Pass.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by weedWhacker

There is a "cabin" in Harvey Meadows. Hike up the burn on Harvey, and travel north about 1 km. It is quite primitive though.
Magesia Meadows Emergency shelter - identical to the Brunswick Lake one. Technically both emergency shelters and should only be used as such. No facilities other than a good roof over your head.

-Ryan
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I am not sure how good the roof is. Whenever I have seen it is has been nearly buried under snow with one or more broken windows. I can't see much advantage in staying there (over bringing a tent) other than saving a few extra pounds.

Ditto for any other cabin too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page