Whistler Olympic Park overcharging for bc access? - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by norona
Look you wanted to shut down the biggest access to the ice cap to sledders so you could xc ski and access the backcountry. That is what has happened and now you have to pay to use it, much like sledders have done all along. Sledders pay per person. if two or three show up in a truck with trailer which happens all the time at Brandywine and did at Callighan before they pay per sled or person not per vehicle.
If you are looking for someone to blame for banning sleds from the upper Callaghan it's certainly not backcountry skiers. More like the nordic skiers, Callaghan Country Lodge, and perhaps also BC Parks. I'd be happy to see the snowmobilers continuing to ride up through Callaghan Lake if it meant that they stayed out of the Rainbow / Sproatt area. That was the original Sea to Sky Winter Backcountry Forum agreement that was reached before all the government / Olympic medelling started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
I am one person, like Lee Lau who is out there on most days and I take a lot of people out on different forms, they are quite surprised how few people they see and how it is not overrun with sleds...
You and Lee have the enviable ability to recreate pretty much any day that you choose. I'm pretty sure your experience mid-week at any backcountry recreation area (whether skiing or sledding) is far different than what us weekend warriors encounter.
post #48 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Having Fun!

Scott, I applaud you for you time into the project and understand your frustration. It does not sound fair to me however I am not in any position to change that...I do not think a user fee is out of the question but it should be for everyone since if everyone pays then more services are there for everyone and it is more enjoyable. You may be fine with having Callighan open for sleds but the majority in backcountry skiing, xc skiing and showshoes is not that..it was too bad that area was shut because people just used it as a launching pad to move far away from that area to the best riding up high and far back. With that shut I am sure sproat is going to be hard to shut out sleds...

Yes I get to play all week and I know where I must go to avoid the busy spots on weekends. Anyone can do that, I don't go to the BCMC or grind on weekends either, or ski locally,but that is not my fault, read the 4 hr work week and make the necessary changes to your life to allow yourself to work weekends and take weekdays off, or work for your self or convince your boss to let you work from home. there are a million options to avoid the dreaded weekends and holidays.

I was just thinking this as yesterday I was at Cypress and the $20.00 to pay park is reduced to $10.00 during the week, and there is no one around to slay all the powder, no matter how hard we try too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
You may be fine with having Callighan open for sleds but the majority in backcountry skiing, xc skiing and showshoes is not that..it was too bad that area was shut because people just used it as a launching pad to move far away from that area to the best riding up high and far back. With that shut I am sure sproat is going to be hard to shut out sleds...
I don't mind hearing sleds if they are on a different slope ( or a different mountain ) than I am. That would be the case in the Callaghan Valley, since the snowmobilers would mostly just ride straight through to the north side of Mt. Callaghan where very few backcountry skiers currently go. The best backcountry skiing areas are closer to the nordic center. It's not like this is a wilderness area or anything. In the past I've been skiing up around Hanging Lake and heard some strange noises. At first I thought it was approaching snowmobiles and I was worried, but then I realized that it was the PA announcer commenting on an XC ski race that was taking place at the bottom of the hill.

A lot of backcountry skiers are XC skiers too. I think that my friends who are not XC skiers would agree with me that it would be preferable to get the snowmobiles off of Sproatt and back into the Callaghan Lake / Mt. Callaghan areas. I doubt that's going to happen, as the various commercial operators get more and more entrenched in their positions each year.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mark-r

I sent a letter to these folks:
Keith Bennett, Whistler 2010 Sports Legacies President and CEO [email protected]
Joan McIntyre, MLA for West Vancouver Sea to Sky [email protected]
Kevin Krueger, Minster for Tourism Culture and the Arts [email protected]
Did you hear back from Joan McIntyre or Kevin Krueger?
post #51 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The Whistler Legacies Society Board of Directors is meeting at the end of this month and a review of backcountry access is on the agenda. Now would be a good time to share your opinion with the staff. What are they doing right/wrong. What could be better. Please send letters to: Lindsay Durno, Whistler Olympic Park director [email protected]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page