Dealing with dogs & dog owners in Garibaldi - Page 8 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

27Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

While I've never been bitten by a dog that was off leash before I have had off leash dogs:

Pee on my tent and my backpack. Owners just shrugged their shoulders, until I peed on their tent. Then they thought peeing on a tent was a big deal.

Stolen food. Lost lunch to an uncontrolled dog in a day use area, even though it was clearly posted that dogs must be on leash. They also were indifferent, didn't have the opportunity to steal their food or I would have.

Snapped at by dogs as they tried to nip at me, but was told not to worry that their dog was "friendly". The second time it nipped at me, I gave it a smack and told the owners not to worry cause I was friendly too.

In none of these cases did I blame the dog, just the owners who are so completely clueless that they don't control or train their dogs. I love dogs. I love having a dog. I would be ashamed of myself if I let my dog run uncontrolled in an area that wasn't specified as an off leash area. If you can't see your dog, it isn't in your control, period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I just hiked the Stawamus Chief - First (South) peak. The trail was packed (as a hike goes, it's pretty poor - the top is amazing but the slog up just isn't much to appreciate). The trail was packed with people. I hadn't done this hike before and didn't realize it was an overflow hike from the Grouse Grind, which it seems to closely resemble. There were almost as many dogs as people - now, dogs are allowed on this hike/park (presumably on leash, of which I saw none).

The question that I had was "why would anyone bring their dog on that hike?". It's basically stairs all the way up. Lots of places for dogs to lose their footing and slip and get hurt, especially on the parts right at the top. It makes no sense. It isn't a nice walk for a dog at all.

The more I have hiked, the more I have come to the belief that most of the hikes in the coast mountains near the lower mainland are pretty unsuitable for dogs. There are lots of parks and areas with nice walks, why put your dog in a place where you have to help them navigate a boulder field (Joffre or Greendrop, for example, I have seen dogs on both hikes) or other spaces that they are just not comfortable with or suited for?

I looked at the pile of hikers with dogs on the Chief and just thought they were all horribly selfish and uncaring about their animals.
post #108 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

I will point out that this is an almost 2 year old thread resurrected by someone jumping in with their first (and only) post. Looks and smells like they simply want to stir the pot, and so far they've succeeded.
guntis and zeljkok like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

mhzman and tylercranston like this.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #110 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I can't believe I'm getting sucked in to this conversation...but...

Much like people, there are levels of ability amongst dogs. Now this is mostly due to lifestyle, as the average dog should be more capable than the average human. A couple of experiences:
  • Boulder field: my friend's dog (dubbed the mountain sausage) got trapped between 2 boulders. Body wedged with 4 feet dangling and paddling air. Was pretty funny, but not for the dog.
  • 6 foot snow drift: we looked at it and thought, "gee this looks hard. Hey, how are we going to get the dog up it?" Dog takes 2 steps and bounds to the top effortlessly. Sadly, this same dog, although very capable, was not well behaved. Fell off a cliff a few years ago and we had to retrieve a body.
Just look at some awesome dogs on this site (e.g. Katie, Frank I think?) and you'll see that the beasts can accomplish a lot. But 99% of people don't exercise their pets enough, and don't train them to an acceptable level. So yeah, I'm in the camp of "dogs are awesome, owners need to take responsibility".
post #111 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 01:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
I will point out that this is an almost 2 year old thread .
It still touches a nerve, though. It might not if; little bags filled with dog crap did not litter our trails, dog bites were less of a threat than aggressive bears, off leash mutts with their snarling pursuits were not scaring the daylights out of kids on trails. I saw all of those things in the last few weeks at Joffre, Seymour and Welsh Lakes.

It's an old thread to be sure, but dickhead dog owners keep the topic a source of some interest. It'll be a grand day when such is not the case.

post #112 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
It still touches a nerve, though. It might not if; little bags filled with dog crap did not litter our trails, dog bites were less of a threat than aggressive bears, off leash mutts with their snarling pursuits were not scaring the daylights out of kids on trails. I saw all of those things in the last few weeks at Joffre, Seymour and Welsh Lakes.

It's an old thread to be sure, but dickhead dog owners keep the topic a source of some interest. It'll be a grand day when such is not the case.
Will just reply to this by talking about my experience.

I walk my dog in the Lynn Headwaters/Fromme/Mosquito Creek area every day. If we're in an area with lots of people and dogs she is on a leash, if we're in an area where it's unlikely we'll meet anybody, she is off leash.

We encounter a lot of poorly behaved/controlled dogs who are usually off leash. I've never seen any of them bite a person.....most are friendly.....they are much more of an annoyance to my dog than they are to me.

We do find the odd "poop bag", which I agree is annoying and unsightly. If we're near a garbage container, I'll pick it up. My general observation is that most dog owners in the area we frequent clean up and dispose of their dog's poop.

We do encounter a few children who obviously have a fear of dogs, but many more are curious. If a child we pass comments on my dog, I'll stop and ask the accompanying adults if the child would like to pet my dog. I think it's important that children and dogs learn how to interact with each other.

Dogs are part of our society. People like myself will take them hiking, where permitted. There are and will be problem dogs and problem owners. A lot of them are just unaware that their dog's behaviour is causing problems for other people/dogs. Most have no idea of how to train a dog properly. I think the onus is on responsible dog owner's, like myself, to help educate these people.
guntis and CL like this.
post #113 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteWanderer View Post
I looked at the pile of hikers with dogs on the Chief and just thought they were all horribly selfish and uncaring about their animals.
Haven't ever seen an unhappy-looking dog on the Chief, which is more than I can say about some humans when they see the chain & ladder sections...
xj6response likes this.

Semper fudge
post #114 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I can't see that this thread is going anywhere new. Locked!
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page