Danny Epp Mountain Graffiti - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Danny Epp Mountain Graffiti

On various mountains in SW BC, a large number of metal "Danny Epp" memorial have been "replicating" themselves onto most major hiking destinations and are cemented in place.

As far as I'm concerned, it's pollution. Danny Epp was a snowborder who died a few years back on Grouse Mountain, and it appears as though his family has been "spamming" mountain tops ever since.

Any others? I understand a family needs to grieve, but it should be done sensibly and without polluting the world.

The lists seen below are to keep track of this thread's status - I was not personally involved.

Danny Epp Markers:
* Cheam Peak [removed]
* Frosty Mountain [removed, cement left]
* Yak Peak [removed, unsure if cement left]
* Needle Peak [removed, cement left]
* Three Brothers Mountain
* Welch Peak [removed]
* Stewart [removed]
* Strachan [removed]
* Mount Macfarlane
* Zoa Peak
* Williams Peak
* Elk Mountain
* Mount Thurston
* Golden Ears (North Ear)
* Lady Peak
+ 7 more.

Other Markers:
* Cheam Peak - Other 1 [removed]
* Cheam Peak - Other 2 [removed]
* Needle Peak (total number unknown)
* Mount McGuire (total number unknown)
* Golden Ears - Rodi Gascon
* Golden Ears - Nicholas Bethuns
* Golden Ears - John Benson
* Golden Ears - Marcus Seitz
* Tarn on ridge connecting Coliseum and Burwell - Aluminum sheet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Giver!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I agree it's mountain pollution, If everyone that lost a mountain loving son or daughter did the same thing there wouldn't be much pristine area left.

I would suggest that you don't "chisel" anything off, but contact his family if it bothers you that much and request that they don't continue doing this.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Scaling New Heights

I understand if they put one up on "a" mountain but not multiple.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Take it out! Personally I don't want to see a memorial every time I get to the top of some thing. Some people put up 2 large wooden crosses on the top of Stoney Squaw in Banff, with the deads names on them in huge print, right smack on the view point. Totally disrespectful IMO. I'm up there to enjoy my life, I don't want constant reminders that we are all going to kick off. They weren't even from the area, not that it matters. People have to grieve and all have their own way of doing so, but to those of you sticking these things up every where get fucked already and have some respect for every one else.

Perhaps the Epps can go litter up the prairies, where their roots are, with their plaques.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Scaling New Heights

there was one on Welch Peak as of 2 weeks ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/specialblend/4843005054/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

There are also "Danny Epp's" at Yak Peak, and Mount Macfarlane. It would be interesting to see how many peaks have been marked by his family, mine knows better than to place even one, not that they need to yet [].
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

So in your drastic action what if you remove a memorial that is ages old that is actually a long forgotten memorial for some one that actually lost there life or had there ashes poured on that very mountain?

If it where your memorial would you like others deface it?

I do understand your feelings as to pollution and agree that these should not be put on any other mountain other then the one or two choice home mountains of the individual.

I do also agree that drastic measure should never be taken without consulting and requesting a change be made by the offending party. Other wise society becomes judge jury and executioner and no one really wants that.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Zoa has one too.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MatthewBaldwin

So in your drastic action what if you remove a memorial that is ages old that is actually a long forgotten memorial for some one that actually lost there life or had there ashes poured on that very mountain?

If it where your memorial would you like others deface it?

I do understand your feelings as to pollution and agree that these should not be put on any other mountain other then the one or two choice home mountains of the individual.

I do also agree that drastic measure should never be taken without consulting and requesting a change be made by the offending party. Other wise society becomes judge jury and executioner and no one really wants that.

Stop coming up with "what ifs" the ones he's talking about aren't age old memorials.
Tony Baker gully on Cypress makes the most sense for one, why should it be on two choice home mountains? or in this case 6 that have been mentioned so far.

Chisel away Longshadow!

post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Scaling New Heights

you can add Stewart according to this TR:

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=23685
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I have no problems with crosses and plaques on mountains where people actually passed away, I think it stands as a reminder to stay alert. But putting the same plaque on so many mountains is litter IMO. What is this person or persons plan to keep doing it until every mountain in SWBC has a plaque on it? And if all they want is people to see it/them the best place would be Grouse where the accident happened, it has more traffic then all the other mountains combined.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I am just saying.. This Wild Wild west giver Judge jury and executioner attitude is a little on the side of reckless.

I agree they should not be putting them every where but at the same time shouldnt there be a more diplomatic way of solving these things? Rather then declaring war.

This is why I put a what if in there. Attack every thing that is not nature? Come on!
Quote:
quote:ShadowChaser:
I'm going to show my "respect" to the mountains, it's chisel time. The same goes with any other memorial, pollution, or other disrespect I come across.

I don't mean to make you wrong or attack you I am just looking at your talk of drastic and attack destroy mode and it sort of worries me.

I think I am going to just stay out of these descussions from now on.. You guys do what ever you want. I just want to be happy and enjoy the wild. If I come across a memorial or a summit cairn I will admire them and think to those who came before me with respect.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

**irrelevant

Quote:
quote:I think I am going to just stay out of these descussions from now on..
Welcome to the internet, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Enjoy avoiding differences of opinion in the real world.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I've seen a couple of these and thought it was fairly dumb, but I had no idea how widespread this problem was until now...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page