User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Burning Boot
  • 1 Post By Burning Boot
  • 1 Post By mick range

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Return to Evenglow April 18 2010 (Cabin on Dam Mt)

While browsing photos on the North Vancouver Archives site I came across a few photos of Don Munday's Cabin on Dam Mountain.

Carefully examining the photos I realized that I had been there before and so have many other CTers.

The mountain profile in the background of the photo of Phyl Munday on the porch of Evenglow I had seen before.

In 1918 Don returned from overseas after his left arm was wounded by shrapnel. He set about restoring his strength by cutting a trail up Dam mount to a rocky bench at about 640 m. There he constructed a split cedar cabin he called Evenglow.

In February 1920 Phyllis James and Don Munday married and spent their Honeymoon at Evenglow looking out over the lights of Vancouver.

Today we headed off for Dam the usual way and reached the cabin remains about 1:15. At this point it was only a hunch the remains were that of the Munday's cabin but after examining some of the artifacts and their location I'm now certain.

Today the cabin looks like this: Sorry about the last shot in the pano. It didn't turn out so well.

In the following interior photograph you can see a few details of interest.

First the bench on the left with armrests on the uprights that extend an inch or so beyond the uprights. You might be better able to see it in this image from the BC Archives.

On today's outing we took these photos.

Interestingly the BC Archive image shows a framed photograph above the mantel which I believe is this photo.

Also in the interior image you can see a stone fireplace with a cedar mantel supported by two round verticals that are each capped with a square block.

I'm sorry neither of these photos are great but both are of a long cedar board with a square block fastened underneath resting on the exposed end of the upright. Although I didn't get a photo of it the square block on the other end of the mantel was also present.

In this CT Post Mick is holding a coffee pot that likely belonged to Don Munday.

Sadly, the coffee pot is not longer to be found.

Other CT Reports

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=17079
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=16672

Some additional photos and links.

Don Munday, planing a plank inside the cabin on Dam Mountain
Don Munday on porch of cabin on Dam Mountain
Don Munday on porch of cabin on Dam Mountain
Don Munday at table inside the cabin on Dam Mountain

If you happen to visit this location please be respectful and do not remove items.

We ended our hike by postholing to the top of Dam.
Dac-van likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Summit Master

Good stuff!! Thanks for the detailed descriptions and links to archived photos. This kind of thing is right up my alley so keep 'em coming.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I forgot to add that I just finished

A Passion for Mountains
The Lives of Don and Phyllis Munday
By Kathryn Bridge

Well worth the read.
Dac-van likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Great archive pics!
This pot was there last time I was in the area, but I didn't notice the other one anywhere...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Great archive work again, thanks. Right up my alley too. I read the book last summer and wondered the same thing about where the Munday's cabin was. The book is a great read and the Munday's were an amazing couple. They were media celebrities in their day and with their accomplishments there really isn't that much recognition of them. A reason to do the Dam Mt. Trail now.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Excellent TR, Very much enjoy this kind of stuff. Going back in history, your shots regardless of quality fare special as they show the old remains and relics compared to the black and white as they used to be.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Burning Boot, I love your Trip Reports!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Great report, Craig!
Thanks for reposting the photo of me with that coffee pot, that was a happy moment
Dac-van likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

Great report, Craig!
Thanks for reposting the photo of me with that coffee pot, that was a happy moment
Now I will recognize you If I bump into you on the trail, holding that coffee pot.

K
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the comments all. I love researching this stuff as it gives me a reason to revisit places I have been and go to places I have not. I have a few more Lynn Headwaters post coming but I need to wait until I can get some of my own photos.

Here is a photo from 1921 of Phyl bathing Edith fireside at Evenglow.

I think it was taken about June. Photos from the previous page of the book show Don, Phyl and 11 month old Edith on top of Crown Mt.[^]
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Burning Boot

Here is a photo from 1921 of Phyl bathing Edith fireside at Evenglow.

I think it was taken about June. Photos from the previous page of the book show Don, Phyl and 11 month old Edith on top of Crown Mt.[^]

That is totally awesome, like stepping back in time so personal, imagine such a nice cozy home at that spot complete with all those indoor plants.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page