snowshoeing around whistler? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default snowshoeing around whistler?

Hey guys, I've never been up to either of the whistler mountains. Are there any easy trails up there? Do the trails all belong to the mountain -- do I have to pay for them? Can I go and snowshoe near the peak(s) with some nice views?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions. I googled but all I got were guided tours..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

There are no snowshoe trails on Whistler or Blackcomb Mountains. I guess you could buy a sightseeing pass and snowshoe around the edges of the ski runs, but that doesn't sound like much fun to me.

There are pay to play snowshoe trails around Lost Lake and in the Callaghan Valley around Whistler Olympic Park. These are much like the seymour / cypress pay trails. Tickets are around $8 and you can get rentals. They don't really get up out of the valley though, and I'm not sure how much snow there is at that elevation right now.

There are also unpatrolled free trails in the Whistler area. All these trails all go into avalanche terrain, so make sure you know your stuff. Rainbow Lake trail, Singing Pass trail and Wedgemount Lake trail are all fairly popular, depending on conditions. I would recommend Rainbow Lake, or start out on the Rainbow Lake trail and head up Mt Sproatt. Metal Dome is really nice too, but unmarked. I'm working on marking some free access trails in the Callaghan Valley, but they are inaccessible this year because the Biathlon Range parking lot is not open to the public. You can actually still access the trail up Beverley Creek via the Whistler Olympic Park pay trails. http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Whistler...llaghan_Valley
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks Scott, this is very useful. Rainbow Lake trail sounds appealing, since I'll be staying near Alta Lake. I don't know if I want to do the whole trail though; it avalanche-terrain near the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Rainbow Lake is a great trail depending on what the snow conditions are. One thing to remember is that the Gin and Tonic bridge deck is removed at winter. Which is a couple km's from the lake and requires a detour if snow bridges aren't present. If you make it that far

this is what Nov 09 was like
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=33552

Good luck enjoy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scottN

There are no snowshoe trails on Whistler or Blackcomb Mountains. I guess you could buy a sightseeing pass and snowshoe around the edges of the ski runs, but that doesn't sound like much fun to me.

There are pay to play snowshoe trails around Lost Lake and in the Callaghan Valley around Whistler Olympic Park. These are much like the seymour / cypress pay trails. Tickets are around $8 and you can get rentals. They don't really get up out of the valley though, and I'm not sure how much snow there is at that elevation right now.

There are also unpatrolled free trails in the Whistler area. All these trails all go into avalanche terrain, so make sure you know your stuff. Rainbow Lake trail, Singing Pass trail and Wedgemount Lake trail are all fairly popular, depending on conditions. I would recommend Rainbow Lake, or start out on the Rainbow Lake trail and head up Mt Sproatt. Metal Dome is really nice too, but unmarked. I'm working on marking some free access trails in the Callaghan Valley, but they are inaccessible this year because the Biathlon Range parking lot is not open to the public. You can actually still access the trail up Beverley Creek via the Whistler Olympic Park pay trails. http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Whistler...llaghan_Valley
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

The trail to Rainbow Lake actually doesn't have any avalanche terrain unless you go past Rainbow Lake. If you turn up towards Sproatt things get steep in a hurry though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page