Summit registers - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.
Default Summit registers

I got a request to have a sticky post for each area that list summits needing the register replaced plus info on where to take full ones / get PVC pipes etc for each of the areas. If people agree this is a good idea, I'll make this topic a sticky and we can use this as the starting point.

MountainArt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Summit Master

Great idea.

The one on top of Rainbow is in need of a new pen and moisture absorbing packs.

-Ryan

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

an idea was thrown around back when it first came out that BHP was bad for us, that we should use the old wide mouth nalgene's that we all have as summit registers, as PVC always leaks a little bit over time, resulting in damp notebooks inside, whereas watter bottles are built not to leak.

thoughts? anyone have some older nalgenes still kicking around that would work for this. I've got one somewhere at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

MTF has craploads of old Nalgenes for a buck a piece
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

I also have a good # of old nalgenes to donate to the cause.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I have a 1,500 word article on summit registers, too large for here, that will be coming out in the next Federation of Mountain Clubs Cloudburst magazine. Here's an excerpt from it describing how I make registers:

My registers are made of white pvc plastic tubing, with the bottom cap glued on and the top opening cap painted red, with the ACC logo on it. I find white tubing condenses with moisture less inside, than black tubing. Shallow grooves cut in the cylinder sides allow air to be displaced, when pushing or pulling the cap on & off. Inside I put a waterproof book and several pencils. As well, I add a plastic coated information card on the White Tailed Ptarmigan Research. I use waterproof, Rite in the Rain, spiral bound books. Friends of mine in forestry recommend Duksbak books as being more durable, but I find the covers too stiff to roll into a tube and my books are mostly protected from the weather. Pencils are better than pens, because in very cold winter temperatures, ink freezes up and in very warm weather the ink can dry up. On the cover of my books I write the mountain's name, elevation and "Alpine Club of Canada". On the first page I write, If register tube is damaged, or if book is full, please contact the Vancouver Island Section of the Alpine Club of Canada. And further, Please replace register tube with the red cap end up.

The full article will be published in a month or two. It will be download-able at www.mountainclubs.org

Peter

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

I have a bunch of plastic tobacco cans I have been saving for this just in case I find any registers that are leaking on the mountains.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Some plastics seem to break down quicker than others. The old lexan water bottles that are condemned might hold up to uv rays and freezing. I did replace a plastic tobacco type container on El Piveto this year that wasn't in too bad a condition. On Tzela Pk all we found were brittle shards of a food grade plastic container and no book.

The white PVC tube that I use is about 3mm thick and the end caps are about 4mm thick and stand up pretty well to the weather. I can vouch for them lasting more than a decade, when I first started placing them.

I think the most important part of a register is the book made out of waterproof paper, so don't cheap out on this item. I don't know how many soggy books I've found, that have to be brought down to dry out, or are damaged beyond recognition.

Peter
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

The less you advertise these things the better the chances they are not vandalized. Often these are becoming nothing more than a Glorified Geo-cache that is intrusive to the concepts of spontaneous discovery and remoteness. The nostalgia of original glass peanut jars and brass screw-on tubes with sacred memorabilia and weather recording devices inside them, is disappearing. It is somehow snobbish to see club or organization-logos laying claim to mtn tops.

Keep it informal and unadvertised.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Hi Cambium,

Sorry, but I disagree. Mountain registers are hard to get to and for the most part those people that reach the peaks are pretty much responsible people. I haven't found evidence of vandalism in the mountains much further from the road than a red neck can throw an empty beer can.

Regarding the "Geotrash" movement... That has nothing to do with summit registers and I apologize here to geocash enthusiasts, as it is probably a lot of fun and gets people out for healthy trips... as long as it doesn't become real trash.

As for the Vancouver Island Alpine Club taking responsibility for the upkeep, replacement and archival protection of summit registers, who else has stepped forth to take on this role? If this is seen as "laying claim" to peaks... well, I guess that is so, when you take on a stewardship role. Snobbish? How about volunteering without remuneration for ones efforts? How about working with museum archivists? How about keeping our local history alive?

You bet, I lay claim to my work and if that is in the name of the Alpine Club of Canada or the Federation of Mountain Clubs of B.C. , I'm very proud to be affiliated with them.

Peter
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:00 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

Hi Cambium,

Sorry, but I disagree. Mountain registers are hard to get to and for the most part those people that reach the peaks are pretty much responsible people. I haven't found evidence of vandalism in the mountains much further from the road than a red neck can throw an empty beer can.

Regarding the "Geotrash" movement... That has nothing to do with summit registers and I apologize here to geocash enthusiasts, as it is probably a lot of fun and gets people out for healthy trips... as long as it doesn't become real trash.

As for the Vancouver Island Alpine Club taking responsibility for the upkeep, replacement and archival protection of summit registers, who else has stepped forth to take on this role? If this is seen as "laying claim" to peaks... well, I guess that is so, when you take on a stewardship role. Snobbish? How about volunteering without remuneration for ones efforts? How about working with museum archivists? How about keeping our local history alive?

You bet, I lay claim to my work and if that is in the name of the Alpine Club of Canada or the Federation of Mountain Clubs of B.C. , I'm very proud to be affiliated with them.

Peter
===============================================
How about { egads, a cliche } we agree to disagree, because I sure don't see many , if any, {in my limited below- ground- experiences } ANY registrars in caves, and this is certainly a world unto itself.
So Why try to claim numerous mtn. tops, why not leave a few "vacant" for some to add their own unique names and dates ? And some just nameless and mysterious to the coming and goings of men women and child ?
Vandals ? well yes if Theft of collectible deposited paper-money and or foreign coins with relevant meaning is left there and later "disappears".Broken thermometers. A time capsule of multi-cultural involvement. Sours the mood on return visits. But most mountaineers of older generations are respectfull.
The nature of "modern" human behavior seems to arrive everywhere now a days.
And I truly believe that many Geo-Caches are intrusive , people tramping thru properties and driving day long destinations like some lazy Pub-crawl to find a box.
I've found several, without the aide of GPS. Only Two would rank as cool.
Sitting perched near the cruickshank lookout in peace and Then crash and noise and disturbance by people "fishing" for a box around your space, without so much as "I'm sorry"
for the upset.
A fad I hope that goes the way of the C.B.Radio.
To each their own. Do not disturb.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Where would one put a register in a cave? At it's lowest point? And if the low point weren't yet found? That said, cave systems are very well documented. It's just that cavers are more secretive than even trout fishers and there's not much public documentation out there.

Peter
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

Where would one put a register in a cave? At it's lowest point? And if the low point weren't yet found? That said, cave systems are very well documented. It's just that cavers are more secretive than even trout fishers and there's not much public documentation out there.

Peter
================================================== ====

...oohh aaa, I'm in the Dark here...
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: trail running, hiking, kyaking, skiing, snowshoeing

i went up to Mt Price on 25th sept 09 and could not find the register, i looked in 3 cairns!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I couldn't find a summit register on Mt. MacDonald when I was there, maybe a month ago. I was sort of in a hurry, so may have missed it however.

Flora Peak didn't have one either.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page