Summit registers - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I forgot to post this ..

As I wanted to comment that rainbow needs a repaired register...
The tube was sitting lid up and the gasket was cracked. Water was leaking down into the tube and a large chuck of ice was at the bottom.

At that time 2 pens where in the tube but I replaced them with a pencil and sharpener.

Not sure if putting the tube lid down would help at all. But thats how I left it..

thanks
C

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

Great idea.

The one on top of Rainbow is in need of a new pen and moisture absorbing packs.

-Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Scaling New Heights

Needle Peak needs replacing, its a old tin box that won't close anymore.
Does anyone know if Webb or MacDonald has one? I will be heading up there soon.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

In the Depot creek area, Peak 7365', Goliah Peak and the West peak of Mad Eagle had no registers. Small cairns, and a known history of limited climbs, though. Go get up there right now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Off the Beaten Path

OK, if I did the wrong thing, I apologize in advance.

Went up to Stewart Peak on Saturday and discovered the summit register had been stored screw-side up and had been absorbing quite a bit of water. The register (a collection of loose pieces of paper) itself was completely soaked and crumbling. Decided to take the papers down and find out where to go with it.

To my surprise, I then found a second register in the same cairn. This one was mostly dry and in use since 2008, so it seemed. (The soaked one offered dates from 1994 to 2007). The pages were relatively dry, but had lots of mould spots.

As such, I took down both the soaked papers (which are now dried) and the PVC tube. This tube is also missing the rubber seal ring, which no doubt contributed to the moisture problem. I now have both the old register and the tube at my home, while I left the younger register with the dry PVC tube (and a pencil) at the cairn (stored screw-side down!).

Does anyone know why there would have been two tubes on Stewart? And where can I send the register to that I now have in my possession?
post #35 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I'm partially answering my own questions. I've found this link

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=27737

which explains where the second register comes from. Not sure why they didn't take the old one down, though. And I'm not sure what to do now with the old register. The papers are dry now, but still in bad shape... and at my house.

Walkies, anyone else?
post #36 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I found an open plastic box full of junk (two plastic dinosaurs and a broken yoyo) next to the summit of First Brother in Manning this w/e. Figure it was a crappy, poorly hidden geocache. Carried it out. There was a Epp plaque too but I didn't have my chisel with me. No register I could see, doesn't need one.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I think the first post (sticky one) should be updated with the list & comments to make it easier to review.

e.g.
East Lion - register rusted shut
Stewart Peak - resolved
Peak 7365 - no register
Goliah Peak - no register
etc
post #38 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Justin Case

OK, if I did the wrong thing, I apologize in advance.

Went up to Stewart Peak on Saturday and discovered the summit register had been stored screw-side up and had been absorbing quite a bit of water. The register (a collection of loose pieces of paper) itself was completely soaked and crumbling. Decided to take the papers down and find out where to go with it.

To my surprise, I then found a second register in the same cairn. This one was mostly dry and in use since 2008, so it seemed. (The soaked one offered dates from 1994 to 2007). The pages were relatively dry, but had lots of mould spots.

As such, I took down both the soaked papers (which are now dried) and the PVC tube. This tube is also missing the rubber seal ring, which no doubt contributed to the moisture problem. I now have both the old register and the tube at my home, while I left the younger register with the dry PVC tube (and a pencil) at the cairn (stored screw-side down!).

Does anyone know why there would have been two tubes on Stewart? And where can I send the register to that I now have in my possession?
My personal policy for summit register finds is to leave them, If they are in relatively good condition. I usually have a PVC tube and waterproof book with me on my summit bids and replace what ever needs, or to put a new one in a cairn on the summit, if there is no register at all.

If you have a register book and want to know what to do with it, contact the nearest section of the Alpine Club of Canada and they can either keep it in their archives, or can repair & replace it back to the summit it came from.

I have a soaked register book from the Golden Hinde, in my freezer (preserved) until I can get around to drying it out properly. Once dried, we'll take it back and place it in the new tube with the current waterproof book. Going to this trouble is worth it to me, as this old register goes back decades and would be better read on the summit, rather than in a warm dry library.

In my opinion, a register is a repository of history and I like to read about past summit bids and I like to add my own comments as well. Sometimes a register will offer good advise on a better descent, than your sketchy ascent. Sometimes a register tube will contain a real gem... Several peaks on Vancouver Island have in their register tube aluminum discs with "Mike Walsh, Island Mountain Ramblers" stamped on them. Mike did some of the hardest first ascents on the Island back in the 60's.

At any rate, not everybody puts much store in summit registers and those that don't, needn't read or sign them, but for those of us that do, it's kind of like having your footprint preserved and maybe found fossilized by some future people.

Peter

post #39 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Mt. Price summit register all wet inside, needs replacing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page