Summit registers - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Registers originated in the absence of guidebooks and journals, to record previous ascents. One could argue that in the current age, a post to ClubTread or whatever is more effective than a summit logbook. In fact, there are many popular summits for which a logbook is probably superfluous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Got to admit, I do enjoy the thrill if "getting there " and sleuthing around the cairns for a hint of it's origins. Imagine my surprise when I occasionally discover a register. Didn't expect these, and I still think these are the exception the the cairn, not the norm. That's what I meant to infer earlier on . I'd rather these be the surprise, not another ..."ho-hum, I got here first..." kind of thing. I like finding things as a challenge, not as the cookie , to a trip.[8D]

That said, a small 4"x 3" dark water tight plastic style box or cylinder with thermometer for weather notations and note pad and 4-HB pencils would suffice. Maybe an historical Bill or antique coin thrown in ,
but please, do not steal, these are "not take and trade geo-caches [V]".
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

In the 1960's when Mike Walsh was ticking off first ascents on Vancouver Island and climbing the hardest stuff of the day, he had these aluminium discs stamped with his name and "Island Mountain Ramblers" and would put those in summit registers. You can still find them in the odd tube.

I think summit registers hold historical significance, but instead of visiting a museum to read them, you have to climb the peak. There's nothing "ho-hum" about climbing a technically difficult mountain, or one hard to reach, or in foul weather. If someone wants to crow a bit and leave their name on the summit, I'd say that's a good brag.

Also, I've played "summit tag" with several people over the years. That's where you start leaving messages back & forth for the other to read, often times before you actually meet the person in the flesh. Means you have to climb the same peaks multiple times too.

PR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Summit Master

1 / From an albertan thread , I'm curious , where do older filled up registars end up ?

2 / What are the unwritten customs of registars practised in other countries ?
Do some gov.t's put their nose into it ?
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

isn't a water bottle too tempting for someone to steal . kind of like building a cairn out of firewood.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote: I'd rather these be the surprise, not another ..."ho-hum, I got here first..." kind of thing. I like finding things as a challenge, not as the cookie, to a trip.[8D]
Well then it sounds like you'd be a great geo-cacher. I do some occassional caching, so don't really appreciate your perspective about it, and find it a bit ignorant. There are rules and guidelines about where and how to cache; but like anything, not everyone respects the rules. And I admit some caches are "cooler" than others, but who are you to judge? The cool thing about geo-caching is that it appeals to all ages and physical abilities.

And what would be more intrusive while you sit on your perch? A cacher looking for his treasure, or a group of ten hikers coming to join you? And if you've never done a day-long drive to do a hike, you need to get out more. Cachers often will do numerous finds on a little day trip-- it's not a bad way to spend a day actually.

As for registers, I think I would agree with Dru that a lot of registers are superfluous. I've passed them by numerous times, and on a recent climb of Rainier 10 out of the 12 of us didn't even bother with the Mazamas register. But I think if a club wants to maintain a register that's great. It certainly isn't "laying claim" to peaks, and no club would think that. The peaks belong to us all.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Summit Master

When we were kids in the high country of 'Loops , we used to roll up notes and messages for each other and the range-keeper , inside old cattle-skulls. Forgot to wrap them in plastic !
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Candy Sack

Quote:
quote: I'd rather these be the surprise, not another ..."ho-hum, I got here first..." kind of thing. I like finding things as a challenge, not as the cookie, to a trip.[8D]
Well then it sounds like you'd be a great geo-cacher. I do some occassional caching, so don't really appreciate your perspective about it, and find it a bit ignorant. There are rules and guidelines about where and how to cache; but like anything, not everyone respects the rules. And I admit some caches are "cooler" than others, but who are you to judge? The cool thing about geo-caching is that it appeals to all ages and physical abilities.

And what would be more intrusive while you sit on your perch? A cacher looking for his treasure, or a group of ten hikers coming to join you? And if you've never done a day-long drive to do a hike, you need to get out more. Cachers often will do numerous finds on a little day trip-- it's not a bad way to spend a day actually.

As for registers, I think I would agree with Dru that a lot of registers are superfluous. I've passed them by numerous times, and on a recent climb of Rainier 10 out of the 12 of us didn't even bother with the Mazamas register. But I think if a club wants to maintain a register that's great. It certainly isn't "laying claim" to peaks, and no club would think that. The peaks belong to us all.
=====================================

... to each , their own...
" who am I to judge?," never cared for that expression, but since you ask, " if it's in my face, I'll judge".
Maybe on the mainland High-populated zone, but here where isolation can still be found I've never had the experience of 10 or 12 hikers plunking their asses next to me, people find their own perch.
The coolest geo-caches are the ones that demonstrate clever hiding and require a good stiff walk to find, not the pub-crawl style multi-finds all in one day rack 'em up on the kms automobile adventure placed at boundaries edges of parks.Trample trample trample.Lift lift lift that stone, peel the bark, make that farmer's dog bark like nuts as you GPS his fenceline.
There. How's that for judging, and don't get me going on the ATV squads doing likewise for the search of the mythical-box.
Come to think of it , I really miss those registars.If you find one with a 1960's german coin depicting a lady planting a tree, that's mine !

... ... cheers!!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

Well you sure are judgmental for one who preaches "to each their own" and "let's agree to disagree." How'd a cache get in your face unless you picked it up and looked at it anyway?

post #25 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Summit Master

Take a good stiff walk and if someone is sitting around the co-ordinates of your search , then back off and don't go lifting logs around them and disturbing them . That's rude and that happened to us. Just as I don't care for cell-phones in my space I don't care for electronic gadgetry bugging me either.
Hey you asked and used the "ignorant " word, so I tell you one experience.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Surprisingly nothing on the Black Tusk.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

East Lion steel pipe register is welded shut, could not open it.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by J Mace

East Lion steel pipe register is welded shut, could not open it.
Was this recent? Because when we were up there the steel pipe register was rusted shut and some serious energy was used trying to open it LOL!

*edit*
Oh and we never could get it open.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

February 19th 2005
post #30 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

The Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC puts out a magazine, Cloudburst, twice a year. I wrote an article on summit registers in the last issue. Link to http://www.mountainclubs.org/Cloudburst/2009/Fall09.pdf for the online version and scroll to page 14 for the article.

Peter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page