Parking overnight at BC provincial parks - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default Parking overnight at BC provincial parks

If you are going to camp somewhere at a provincial park that has paid parking, how do you pay for the amount of days that you are going to be away? For example, if at Alouette lake you're going to be away paddling for a few nights and leave the car at the picnic area parking lot, how do you pay for consecutive days?
Arnold is offline  
Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey BC Canada
Interest: outdoors, hiking, camping, biking, cruising the seven seas
Posts: 126
Default

A annual park pass is only $25.00 so it might be more convenient and easier to buy one and not have to worry each time you stop in a park.

Dennis
Urban trekker is online now  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , , .
Interest: Mountains....
Posts: 6,300
Default

Those machines have simple to follow instructions do they not?
time2clmb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada.
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Those machines have simple to follow instructions do they not?
HA! I've tried to pay overnight at golden ears before, but the machine only took coins, and only let you pay for one hour at a time. Luckily I had a lot of change with me, so I kept feeding it in until I had a huge stack of 1 hour tickets (still not nearly enough to cover overnight). Then I lined them up on my dashboard and left a note telling them their machine was ridiculous. I didn't get in trouble.

More recently I tried to pay for overnight at the Garibaldi Rubble Ck parking lot. They have this fancy machine there that asks you questions. I tried to answer every question as well as I could, and in the end it charged me only $5 for a group of 4 staying overnight. It also told me that I had to be gone by 9am or so on Sunday morning, which was pretty lame since we were staying overnight Saturday night! Needless to say we failed to return by 9am in the morning. Didn't get in trouble there either though.

The parking stuff is such a big disaster. I can't imagine how complicated it must be to purchase an annual pass!
swebster is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Dru
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Climbing, a mountain, Canada.
Interest: climbing and spraying
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Those machines have simple to follow instructions do they not?
1) Bring hacksaw
2) Remove machine
Dru is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Summit Master
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada.
Interest: Women
Posts: 7,511
Default

Only way if you are on the lake is to have a friend drive out there and deposit the $3 or so per day for you.

Only other alternative, Parking Pass. Parking pass for $25/year is the best.

Another smart move for parking machines at provincial parks, is to let someone go ahead of you in line, sometimes the machines run out of paper and then you can park for free with a note on your dash explaining it is out of paper. Happened to me last week at Othello Tunnels. Several people put their money in first to find out the machine was out of paper lol.



AcesHigh is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Urban trekker

A annual park pass is only $25.00 so it might be more convenient and easier to buy one and not have to worry each time you stop in a park.

Dennis
I thought about it too, but I'm not sure if I'll go there enough to cover the cost of the pass.
Arnold is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Those machines have simple to follow instructions do they not?
Of course, pick time for 1 hour, 2 hours, or all day. That's overly simple, but...where is the option for multiple days?
Arnold is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Those machines have simple to follow instructions do they not?
HA! I've tried to pay overnight at golden ears before, but the machine only took coins, and only let you pay for one hour at a time. Luckily I had a lot of change with me, so I kept feeding it in until I had a huge stack of 1 hour tickets (still not nearly enough to cover overnight). Then I lined them up on my dashboard and left a note telling them their machine was ridiculous. I didn't get in trouble.
Then you overpaid them. All day parking is $3, 1 hour is $1 if I remember correctly.
Arnold is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Only way if you are on the lake is to have a friend drive out there and deposit the $3 or so per day for you.
That doesn't make any sense and is absurd. They can't expect us to run around like this for their $3 a day. There got to be another way.

Quote:
quote:
Only other alternative, Parking Pass. Parking pass for $25/year is the best.

Another smart move for parking machines at provincial parks, is to let someone go ahead of you in line, sometimes the machines run out of paper and then you can park for free with a note on your dash explaining it is out of paper. Happened to me last week at Othello Tunnels. Several people put their money in first to find out the machine was out of paper lol.
Yeah, this happens to me more often than I have to pay them anything. Their machines are always broken or out of paper. And it's really not fair that people have to pay first and not get their money back when it's out of paper. I mean common, this is theft in my books. How hard is it to implement a refund or shut down completely once the last piece of paper is printed out?!
Arnold is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada.
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Those machines have simple to follow instructions do they not?
HA! I've tried to pay overnight at golden ears before, but the machine only took coins, and only let you pay for one hour at a time. Luckily I had a lot of change with me, so I kept feeding it in until I had a huge stack of 1 hour tickets (still not nearly enough to cover overnight). Then I lined them up on my dashboard and left a note telling them their machine was ridiculous. I didn't get in trouble.
Then you overpaid them. All day parking is $3, 1 hour is $1 if I remember correctly.
I think I went in in the "winter" or "spring" when there was still snow everywhere and by some miracle they had not locked the gate. The machine was one of those old-school put your coins in the slots and then push the thing in and out devices like at a laundromat. As I recall there were no real options...
swebster is offline  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Summit Master
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada.
Interest: Women
Posts: 7,511
Default

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:
Originally posted by AcesHigh

Only way if you are on the lake is to have a friend drive out there and deposit the $3 or so per day for you.

That doesn't make any sense and is absurd. They can't expect us to run around like this for their $3 a day. There got to be another way.
There is no other way, perhaps they SHOULD allow people to pay for multiple days but they don't, 1 day at a time and hourly is all they do. On the machine it tells you to order a pass online for ease. Likely this will help their parking pass sales.



AcesHigh is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada.
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Those machines have simple to follow instructions do they not?
1) Bring hacksaw
2) Remove machine
[^]
Irkutianin is offline  
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

[quote]quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:
Originally posted by AcesHigh

Only way if you are on the lake is to have a friend drive out there and deposit the $3 or so per day for you.

That doesn't make any sense and is absurd. They can't expect us to run around like this for their $3 a day. There got to be another way.
There is no other way, perhaps they SHOULD allow people to pay for multiple days but they don't, 1 day at a time and hourly is all they do. On the machine it tells you to order a pass online for ease. Likely this will help their parking pass sales.
I have hard time believing that people that go boating/hiking overnight all have yearly parking permits. That doesn't sound credible at all.
Arnold is offline  
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada.
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold
I have hard time believing that people that go boating/hiking overnight all have yearly parking permits. That doesn't sound credible at all.
I'm sure they don't. The parking system is a mess. I wouldn't even mind having to pay so much, but it causes me hassle because it isn't done properly.
swebster is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1