Parking overnight at BC provincial parks - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 AM

We just spent the weekend up near Hector Ferguson Lake, and we just printed three one-day tickets and put them on the dash. We looked, and there are no signs anywhere saying anything about not parking overnight. So I figured I'd just write "Do no tow. If there is a problem, call ----" and my wife's phone number.

In the end, everything was fine and my car was where I left it when we returned. They clearly don't mind people doing this, as they must know the parking machine is useless.

Also, as an aside, I should mention that the machine would accept plastic as well, not just coins. So that does make things a little more convenient if you forgot coins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Alright, another reason to spring the 25.00 for an annual pass. Any would-be thief who sees the annual pass has no way of knowing when you parked or when you'll return.
A day or hourly pass tells people when you got there and when you'll return by. series of one day passes would tell a thief that you wont be back for sometime.
You know, this is true. I think I'll just get the yearly pass after all.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

A: Under section 23(1) of the Park and Recreation Area Regulation and the Violation Ticket Administration and Fines Regulation, violators may be fined $58.00 for non-payment of vehicle parking fees and for other illegal parking. A vehicle may be towed away at the vehicle owner's expense and without any warning if the vehicle is parked:

a) without payment of the vehicle parking fee,
b) other than in designated parking areas,
c) on the traveled portion of park roads,
d) in a manner which impedes the proper use of a park road,
e) in a manner which damages vegetation, or
f) in a manner which restricts or inhibits recreational use of the park.

Here's the info you requested Arnold:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/ope....html#parklist

It's true, better to just buy the pass for $25/yr.
Annual Parking Questions and Answers:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/ope...c_pass_qa.html
Seems like they want you to buy multiple tickets for the number of days you will be parking. If I understand correctly, that is multiple tickets for the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jonesa3

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Alright, another reason to spring the 25.00 for an annual pass. Any would-be thief who sees the annual pass has no way of knowing when you parked or when you'll return.
A day or hourly pass tells people when you got there and when you'll return by. series of one day passes would tell a thief that you wont be back for sometime.
You know, this is true. I think I'll just get the yearly pass after all.
If you gonna park for more than 8 days, then yes, but if less than 8 days in a year, then it doesn't make sense to pay $25, what really should cost you no more than $24.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Q: I wish to park for more than one day (e.g. launch my boat and go to another island, etc.). How do I let the Park Staff know that I am parking for more than one day?

A: For multi-day parking you have the option of purchasing an Annual Pass or in some locations, pushing the options button on the Parking Pass dispenser and selecting the number of days that you wish to park for and paying the appropriate fee. For some dispensing machines you will need to purchase the appropriate number of tickets from the machine as required based on the number of days the vehicle will remain in the park. Place tickets on dashboard of vehicle.
It's right there in the Parks FAQs, people.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by metcarfre

Quote:
quote:Q: I wish to park for more than one day (e.g. launch my boat and go to another island, etc.). How do I let the Park Staff know that I am parking for more than one day?

A: For multi-day parking you have the option of purchasing an Annual Pass or in some locations, pushing the options button on the Parking Pass dispenser and selecting the number of days that you wish to park for and paying the appropriate fee. For some dispensing machines you will need to purchase the appropriate number of tickets from the machine as required based on the number of days the vehicle will remain in the park. Place tickets on dashboard of vehicle.
... and clearly all visitors to BC Parks read the FAQ before making their trip...
post #37 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Quote:

Quote:

... and clearly all visitors to BC Parks read the FAQ before making their trip...
Well, people who are ALREADY ON THE BLOODY INTERNET, ASKING THE QUESTION should, I suppose.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Well, people who are ALREADY ON THE BLOODY INTERNET, ASKING THE QUESTION should, I suppose.
I guess the thing is that there was never really so much of a practical problem as no-one was getting ticketed or towed for paying incorrectly. Basically this thread is a rant about the poor implementation of the pay-parking system. Putting instructions on how to pay on the internet somewhere does not make up for deploying a dumb system in the first place.

Parking machine interface problems are not unique to BC Parks... lots of them are totally unintuitive to use and they all have different systems. I think we just expect better from the government or something since they are "our parks." If Whistler-Blackcomb installs some dumb parking meters I guess I don't care so much because I can just not go there if I don't like it. But when they install these things in the parks I get annoyed.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: camping,fishing,hiking,boating,sledding,skiing & generally mucking about outdoors

Parking pass is the best method. We used to buy tickets at Golden Ears, but after 3 vehicle break-ins I bought the annual pass. No problems since. I talked to the machine guy at Golden Ears as he was loading paper into the meter on the 8th and he said the machines are really problematic. $25.00 is fairly reasonable IMO.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I've wondered about whether or not leaving a note with your plans (or multiple parking tickets) on your dashboard really increases your chance of being broken into.

Are thieves really looking for cars where the person is gone for a while? Aren't they just looking around to see if anyone is in the parking lot at the moment and then smashing your window, taking your stuff and leaving? I mean, who cares if _I_ come back right then, someone else could easily show up too...
post #41 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

Dude, if I were to see that FAQ on bcparks.ca website, I wouldn't have asked this question. Don't think you're smart, and everyone else who asks questions is dumb. The FAQ is buried nicely in "Things to do", as if I would ever visit this section, 'cause I have no clue what I want to do in a BC provincial park. Parking rules should be clearly stated at each parking meter, not on some internet page that has little chance of being hit. It's like placing transit payment rules on translink website on page "Places to go", and nothing on actual payment machines.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grizzly adams

Parking pass is the best method. We used to buy tickets at Golden Ears, but after 3 vehicle break-ins I bought the annual pass. No problems since. I talked to the machine guy at Golden Ears as he was loading paper into the meter on the 8th and he said the machines are really problematic. $25.00 is fairly reasonable IMO.
I see no correlation. You simply had bad luck.

I agree that $25 is reasonable if you park there all the time, but if you park there just a few times per year, then it makes no sense, unless you don't mind throwing money away.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Just a reminder that the annual parking pass is valid for ALL BC provincial parks that require parking payment.

We get good use from ours, being that we live quite close to Golden Ears Park, but we use it elsewhere too. It beats fiddling with coins, credit cards or unwilling machines. (And 10-minute line-ups on hot days at Alouette Lake!) They're valid for 13 months when bought on the first of the month. They're valid until the end of the month a year after you bought it.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Perhaps this is a silly question, but where does one purchase an annual parking pass?

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com
-----
post #45 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WestCoastPaddler

Perhaps this is a silly question, but where does one purchase an annual parking pass?
From the said FAQ at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/ope...c_pass_qa.html

Q: When and where can I purchase an annual parking pass?

A: The annual parking pass, which will allow unlimited vehicle parking at participating provincial parks, is, as of April 5, 2007, available for $25.00. The annual parking pass can be purchased at selected provincial parks, from Visitor Centres, by calling Super Natural British Columbia toll free at 1-800-435-5622 or from Greater Vancouver at 604-435-5622 or by downloading and mailing an application form from this website. Click here for more information on where to purchase an annual parking pass. The annual parking pass is good for twelve months from date of purchase.

I get mine at the visitor info centre in Pitt Meadows.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page