'safe' overnight snowshoe/xc destination? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default 'safe' overnight snowshoe/xc destination?

Looking to do an overnight trip from Vancouver, would be great if we do not need to bring tents on top of all winter gear (read: would be great if there is a hut to stay in)

looking for something not too strenuous to start wintercamping season with, and nothing too dicey under the current conditions...

any info on current conditions on Elfin, Garibaldi, maybe Duffey Lake area (Keiths hut-although I remember a large avalanche path on the trail to Hut when we went there in summer...), Wendy Thompson Hut?
I was looking on the forums trip reports but didnt see anything recent for overnighters in the area.......
all info and suggestions much appreciated
many thanks!
Whiskeyjack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

This one is a pretty safe bet:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

How avy-savy are you?

Pretty much all the huts around here have some level of exposure to avalanche runouts, tracks or start zones on the normal access routes.

Elfin is probably the safest hut. Garibaldi Lake would be a good choice too, but no hut - only cooking shelters.

I've read reports from earlier this year of avalanches hitting the normal trails to both Keith's Hut and the Wendy Thompson Hut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

thanks scottN

I am not too avvy savvy: I have done an avalanche course 4 years ago, but looking to brush up on it. Also, I dont have a beeper (yet). I know you can never be 100% safe, but would rather avoid going into terrain with even moderate risk until I am better prepared.

as for the manning lodge....isnt that one really expensive?
would be a great base, but we did a lot of daytrips from a base over xmas -see trip report about xc skiing in Kootenays- and are now looking for a little time in the backcountry.

I think we will stick with North Shore for this weekend though:
just checked canadian avalanche centre website,
avalanche risk for north Shore as of friday 1pm predicted for today/ sat is 1-low,
Duffey Lake area/Sea to Sky is treeline-considerable(3) and alpine-high(4)...(website will be updated later today)

Whiskeyjack

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Quote:
quote:I've read reports from earlier this year of avalanches hitting the normal trails to both Keith's Hut and the Wendy Thompson Hut.
If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to get a link to the avalanche obs over the Wendy Thompson Winter route this year.

I've been in about a dozen times and we've been able to see avies that ran to valley, but haven't seen anything near the winter route yet.

As far as I know, the closest was the Class 3 that D. Sarkany saw last weekend that almost made it to the FSR leading to the trail. Doesn't mean an avy across the route hasn't happened, and definitely speaks to having avy savvy if you're looking to go up to the hut.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by msulkers

Quote:
quote:I've read reports from earlier this year of avalanches hitting the normal trails to both Keith's Hut and the Wendy Thompson Hut.
If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to get a link to the avalanche obs over the Wendy Thompson Winter route this year.

I've been in about a dozen times and we've been able to see avies that ran to valley, but haven't seen anything near the winter route yet.

As far as I know, the closest was the Class 3 that D. Sarkany saw last weekend that almost made it to the FSR leading to the trail. Doesn't mean an avy across the route hasn't happened, and definitely speaks to having avy savvy if you're looking to go up to the hut.
Yeah, I think it was Dave Sarkany's report posted to the telemarktips.com forum. Perhaps I misread it - I thought the slide had reached the road.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page