Are there gates at parking lots in Garibaldi? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Are there gates at parking lots in Garibaldi?

Can someone please tell me if there are parking lot gates at Elfin Lakes parking lot and Garibaldi Lake parking lot? I've never been there, so I don't know. I wonder if they lock them for the night?

Also, how are the road conditions to the parking lots there usually? Good enough for a small 2WD car with all-season tires and chains to make it? I'm planning to go in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

There are no gates at either parking lot.

The Elfin access road is plowed, but not nearly as often as the highway. 2wd and chains will get you to the upper parking lot 80% of the time. If it snows the night before you go, you may have to park at one of the lower parking lots, which will only add 1 or 2 km of walking.

Garibaldi Lake access road is not plowed very far - only about 200m past the Daisy lake dam. With a normal car you have no chance of making it to the summer parking lot. Expect 2km of additional hiking along the road. 4x4s with high clearance can probably drive to the parking lot right now, but this situation won't last much longer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
High on the Mountain Top

No gates.

The Garibaldi Lake (Rubble Creek) road is not plowed in the winter (well, only the first bit is). This makes it fairly appropriate for 2WD because you can't drive anywhere anyway. Unsure of current conditions.

The Diamond Head (Elfin Lakes) road is, to some degree, maintained during the winter. A 2WD with chains will probably almost always make it to the lower parking area/chain up area. Conditions will dictate whether you make it to the top. The area beyond the lower clearing is often rather treacherous and tons of people drive into the ditch. Even if you made it up ok without chains, if it is snowy or icy you should consider chaining up for the way down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, this is great info [8D]

What about Cheakamus lake usual winter road conditions? I might go there too, if I have enough time or energy left. I'm not worrying about parking a little sooner, just would like to get an idea of how far up I can expect to drive there before stopping to avoid getting stuck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Cheakamus is the same as Garibaldi Lake - no gate and not plowed. It's 7km from highway 99 to the Cheakamus Lake parking lot. Last month I was up there and we were able to drive to the parking lot with high clearance and chains.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I've tried to go to Cheakamus Lake in the winter with a 4WD. Not only is the road not plowed, but the city plow trucks also push a big pile of snow in front of the road where it leaves the pavement that is pretty much impassable. I'm not sure if that is still the current practice, but it has been in the past.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

That is the practice. There has been some interesting discussion though. In 2010 when the buyers move into the new homes the RMOW may groom the road into the Cheakmus for cross country skiing. This would be a great addition to our trails.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page