BC in July/Aug - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Default BC in July/Aug

Hi there!

I'll be in BC sometime late July and Beg of Aug and I'd like to do some hiking. Can anyone suggest any good day hikes. I've done 14ers before, and I'm in decent shape. My 11 year old daughter will be hiking with me. SHe can do a 10 hour hike without any problem.

We'll be staying in around Vancouver and Whistler. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'd prefer a semi crowded trails as we really don't want to get lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Welcome to CT.

You've done 14 nighters and your 11 year old daughter can hike 10 hours,but you don't want to get lost?

Do I understand this correctly?

You should travel east to the Rockies and try 1 of the many options there.

Happy hiking.

P.S. Do you mean 14 hours?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gunthur
[
P.S. Do you mean 14 hours?

Hi there!

I meant by 14ers is this mountain ranges in Colorado that are 14000 ft in elevation. I've only done the straight hikes and I'm looking for something similar in BC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

There are lots of great options. In Whistler do the Rubble Creek trial to Garibaldi lake. It may be busy but the lake is spectacular. On Whistler do the High Note Trail up the mountain. Do it on a Saturday and then hit the buffet for dinner at the Roundhouse. Drive north up towards Duffey lake and do Joffre lakes. Cerise Creek, marriott and Rohr are three other great hikes just beyond the Joffree park.
Pick up the 103 Hikes book. Trail head info and stats for the hikes in there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, Mtn Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, RC Flying, Computers. Collecting expensive backpacking gear.

The chief in Squamish (between Vancouver and Whistler) is a must do.

Also 2nd the recommendation of Joffre Lakes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:40 PM
vic

Well if you did Longs Peak in Colorado you can handle anything around Whistler.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vic

Well if you did Longs Peak in Colorado you can handle anything around Whistler.
I didn't do Longs Peaks. I did Pikes. My daughter is a little young to do Longs but she did most of the hikes in the Rocky Mountain in Colo.

I googled all the trails the you guys mentioned and they look pretty amazing. I like the Chiefs trail. We'll definitely do that one and all the other ones in Whistler.

What's Bridal Falls like?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Do I have to worry about wildlife in these trails....mainly Chief trail?

And is there any good place to camp out there?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, Mtn Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, RC Flying, Computers. Collecting expensive backpacking gear.

There is camping right at the bottom of the chief in Squamish.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...kpgs/stawamus/

Payment is on the honor system I believe. You put money in an envelope and drop it in a metal box.

No wildlife to worry about on the chief trail. Some of the other ones in BC you might want to carry a $20 bottle of bear spray. It's not necessary, but I like the peace of mind...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Does the campground accept reservation? If it's a first come first served campground, what are our chances of getting a good spot during week days in July/Aug? Is the trail anywhere near the various hotels in the Squamish area?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

1) No, 2) don't know, and 3) the chief is VERY close to town, so if you can find a hotel/motel in Squamish you are well within walking distance of the chief.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Ed
Headed for the Mountains

You may be able to book at Alice lake provincial park but I suspect it is all booked up but worth a try.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prairiehiker

Does the campground accept reservation? If it's a first come first served campground, what are our chances of getting a good spot during week days in July/Aug? Is the trail anywhere near the various hotels in the Squamish area?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM

My recommendation is for Wedgemont lake (about five minutes north of whistler). It is a bit strenuous but it is very worth it.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I googled all those trails and we're definitely going to tackle the Chief, Joffre Lakes, the High Note trail, and maybe Wedgemont Lake (if we have the time)

Now, we're going to be in Whistler for 4 days and camping out in the Squamish area for 3 days. Can anyone recommend some trails to do some riding in the Whistler and Squamish area? We don't want any that's too difficult. We're coming from the prairie so we are not experience in the type of terrain that you have there, but we'll probably manage a long, somewhat moderately difficult trail.

Thanks.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dax

1) No, 2) don't know, and 3) the chief is VERY close to town, so if you can find a hotel/motel in Squamish you are well within walking distance of the chief.
The Chief is quite close to town, but to walk to the T/H from any hotel in downtown Squamish would likely take 45 minutes or more - On roads that aren't designed well for foot traffic, during the peak of highway construction.

There's tons to do here, in the Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton corridor. The hikes mentioned above are great, but there are many others that are just as good with less people. I'd suggest picking up a hiking book, such as 103 hikes, to give you some ideas. Post your thoughts here and we'll tell you if it would be suitable for you and your daughter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page