Crossing the border - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Crossing the border

I was looking in the wiki and saw the trail (PCT to Monument 78) now my question is do you really need the written permission from US Customs (Homeland Security)? Have people gone with out it and what would happen if they caught you? I have no problem getting it but I have no idea where and how to get it. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?

Try this.www.pcta.org It's an American site so has the US perspective, but it's a start.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Here is a US perspective. Our Homeland Security department is doing alot of "behind the scenes" activities on all of the US borders. Granted, they are an incompetent bunch but it would wise to be prepared for a possible encounter. I would suggest that if you are anticipating crossing the "border" while hiking, make sure you have, at a minimum, a passport along just in case you encounter some sort of patrol. I haven't heard of any big problems but there is always a first I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

where would I go to get permission?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Off the Beaten Path

well, Mike, getting the appropriate "permission" may be an adventure in itself. The US Customs Dept is the most likely place to contact. Their website is www.customs.gov

There is a Remote Area Border Crossing Permit (RABC) for use in the Boundary Waters, Quetico area in the mid-west but it seems to be location specific.

Possibly pose the question on the US Customs website and ask for a form to submit for "Entry to USA via Pacific Crest Trail".
For US PCT hikers heading north, there is a form, which you may have seen already,

http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_...ermit_app.html

I would hope, for US entry, there is something similar.

Expect frustration and be pleasantly surprised if you get a prompt, direct answer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Wow US customs has a two month wait for a response for an e-mail? WTF? I am gonna try my luck with the phone numbers they gave me ... I am not very optimistic aout this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

If you call the REI Outdoor Recreation Center in Seattle, they will tell you that there is no written procedure for crossing the border legally on the PCT (into the USA). The guy told me that people just take a passport and cross the border and he's never heard of anyone having a problem. He also says that he's called Customs several times and always gotten different answers and nobody can actually give him a specific procedure to follow.

Also, the PCT Association told me the same thing..the gal says there is no US equivalent to the Canadian 'entry form.' She says that people cross every year without inspection and just make sure they have their passports available and current.

Good luck!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Mike, now you know why the US has 11+ million illegal immigrants, probably was a 2 month wait for border security to get anywhere [B)]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Alright thats what I wanted to hear, Thanks for all your help.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM
vic

I have to tell you a quick story about crossing the border and I do it a lot because I hike in Olympic Mts a lot and Rainier, Baker, Utah, Arizona, California....etc. I always have a passport but one time a couple of years ago I met a real nasty border guy. He threw my passport back in my face and said he wanted picture proof of where I worked. So feeling a bit nervous(there was a big muscular guy right behind him) I started pulling all sorts of stuff out of my wallet...union card, library card, and on and on. Finally the last card was sort of stuck in my wallet and as I yanked on it it went flying through the air and landed face up....it was my bus pass with my picture on it that I get through the college where I work...that was my ticket across the border.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

yeah, the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave !
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, Mtn Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, RC Flying, Computers. Collecting expensive backpacking gear.

Don't worry soon the NAU will make all of the border crossings much more painless.... [}]

http://www.canadianactionparty.ca/nau.html
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Passport?

What is the deal crossing the border now? Is driver's license and proof of birth good enough, or are passports mandatory now.

Thanks..

K
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Off the Beaten Path

If you are trying to get into the US and are not a US citizen, given the extreme anal qualities of our Homeland Security and Customs, I would have the passport in hand no matter what the current "requirements".
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Strange... Even the BC Parks website doesn't warn of any problems visiting the monument. It says it shows the boundries, however doesn't even suggest carrying any ID etc. Nor does it warn of any border patrol.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...ing/mon78.html

If you see any predator drones circling above, run like hell!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page