Water safety along the great bear rainforest? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Water safety along the great bear rainforest?

I am planning (in 2014) to take 1-3 months off and hike/kayak through the great bear rain forest. I have hiked a fair bit around Vancouver Island and some other countries. I am brushing up on my orienteering skills and such before then (rather poor nav. skills at present). This has been a 10 year dream of mine, and i am, slowly, putting it into reality. If there is one thing i want to do before i die, it is this.

One thing that i have to say i am EXTREMELY ignorant about is tide, current and watter type safety. Later on 9when i move back to Canada) i intend on taking a few courses on the subject, but i really want to start reading and learning about water currents around those parts.

Anyone have any info or good places to read about the subject (doesn't have to be that exact location). anything to do with learning about this stuff would be killer!

also has anyone been in there hiking/boating? would love to read your input, or see some pics!!!!

peace.

Non-accessible forest is far more precious, to me, than easily accessible clear cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Pick up a copy of John Kimantas book "Wild Coast" (there are three editions: north coast-including Great Bear; West Van Island and East Van Island). The books are mostly geared towards kayaking, but should give you a good taste of what you can expect from the coastal end of the expedition. Has some history and most importantly it points out potential camping locations and things like fresh water sources.

C.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Hi Kyle. That sounds like a fascinating summer trip you have planned!

Fisheries and Oceans Canada provide tide and current tables on the internet, for anywhere on the BC coast. Save this link:

http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...glish&region=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Kyle, it sounds like you have an incredible adventure in your future. While the marine water safety skills are an absolute, travel in the environment you are planning for requires a high level of wilderness survival skills. These skills can be acquired in many different conditions but good judgement is vital to success. Once you get back to Canada, I would encourage training trips to the west coast of Vancouver Island to hone your marine wilderness traveling skills. Definitely seek out experts for training and advice.

Consider the purchase of good quality safety gear, particularly a Personal Locator Beacon. While I'm not experienced in the Great Bear Rain Forest, I have found that VHF radios are ineffective in many areas of Vancouver Is, Queen Charlottes, and elsewhere. If you get into trouble the PLB could allow for survival.

And, of course, always wear a PFD while on the water. There is also a very good topic on this forum regarding contents of a Ditch Bag. Read it !
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Some interests: working out, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, cycling, motorcycling, gardening, classical music, opera, ballet, travel, esp. cruise travel, good books, wine, and food...

Environmental organizations invented the term "Great Bear Rainforest" to extract money from the gullible wealthy in Manhattan, Cape Cod, and Santa Monica... don't tell me it actually exists???
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Off the Beaten Path

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Some interests: working out, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, cycling, motorcycling, gardening, classical music, opera, ballet, travel, esp. cruise travel, good books, wine, and food...

The Big Lie theory works. Next 'Cypress Mountain' will show up on North Shore maps...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Skiing.Moutain Biking.

Have you considered a Packraft, which is a rugged and portable inflatable? They weigh a bit over four pounds and are expensive. They would not be as safe in exposed water as a kayak. However for a hiking trip that involves frequent water crossings they are hard to beat. If you Google "Alpaca packrafts" there's a story of a couple who hiked up the coast from South of the Canadian border to Alaska and used them to cross rivers, inlets and lakes. They even used them as sleds on the snow!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

I was up there for a three week of canoe trip last summer, it's a beautiful place but extremely remote and I'd say the critical issue for you will be camping.. because there is none.

Tides are tides, big and constantly on the move but even knowing about tides does not always help you beyond recognizing what ground is safe to camp on and what is not. The problem is that because there are so many archipelagos and channels, even knowing the tide is on a large ebb doesn't necessarily mean you can rely on it to stay at your back. For one kilometer it flows in one direction, the next two kilometers it flows in the other direction, and all during the same ebb flow.

Consider some smaller trips into a similar area of the BC coast, just to get an idea of the hardships you'll have to deal with. In a kayak you'll have limited gear space but some extra items will make all the difference in the world between comfort and misery. Tarps of course are wonderful but take up allot of space and on my last trip, gardening tools were essential in order to be able to scratch a viable tent spot out of the thick brush. Salal grows five feet tall and covers the shore lines from the high tide line to where the trees choke out the light, a saw, shovel, sheers and if possible a rake... will make the difference between being able to set up a tent before dark and sleeping on a log while watching for the flood tide all night long to stay dry.

I think your plan is fantastic and it will definitely be the trip of a life time but keep in mind that people die up there all time thanks to the ocean and elements, so learn about tides but the right equipment is the essential difference between success and retreat.

Good Luck!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Excellent link thanks for that!!!

I am from Vancouver Island, and have spent much of my life hiking in the hills there (mainly sooke hills and cowishcan valley east to west), and here in taiwan i am doing as much hiking as time/work allows. As far and the hiking end, i have some experience and am aware of safe/not safe wild foods, how to make fires, camp (i don't beach camp) etc. But what i am VERY lousy at is water safety. i have some some kayaking and a fair bit of canoeing (still undecided on what to use for this trip).

My plan is to live out there for a while, my goal is to explore Princess Royal Island and a few valleys inland a bit. I will be leaving from Port hardy and cutting accross (this is where marine safety and courses will come in....i may need to start on teh mainland side). I want to spend 3 weeks or so making my way up to princess royal and a nother 3 weeks on the island. i have a few planned routes but nothing definite (also need to check into legality and tresspassing stuff haha). everything slow and i want to totally be emersed up there. i will be leaving the canoe on land (i will have a gps) and take 3-5day trips out and come back to paddle somewhere.

here is an idea of one thought route. but its too early to start deciding routes. these are jsut ideas.

Aside from "getting away" i am also wanting to document certain animals species and photograph the Islands fauna/flora. which means mre weight with camera gear.

another question. I was planning on bringing a small rifle. but guns are heavy, and light guns are weak. more for protection. I was thinking a nice small lightweight 22 like an AR-7 but figured this would do little to something liek a bear. I have spray, but is it really THAT effective? i have never hiked much in grizzly terrirotory (only black bear) and am not sure if i will be in their range or not (may go inland).

Aside from being prepared for wet and cold, what other suggestions might you guys have?

Got lots of time to prepare, so the more the better
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

I am from the Atlantic Coast and have grown up learning respect for the ocean. Sometimes it isn't so much as the tide coming in, as it is the tide going out, many get swept out to sea never to be found.

The ocean is one of the most powerfull things on this planet, and you best be fully aware of what you are dealing with.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Summit Master

Pick up a copy of John Kimantas book "Wild Coast"

...or contact John Kimantas through Club Tread - he goes by jk here.

His books and maps are very well researched and well written, you will not be disappointed. Easily available on BC Ferries bookstore, and also online and perhaps at Chapters or Book Warehouse stores as well.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

must be good! when i come back this summer for a visit i will be sure to pick up a copy!

AcesHigh, i completely agree, which is why i am trying to get a head start
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Kyle, I would STRONGLY urge you to consider embarking from Bella Coola or Kitimat to get to Princess Royal Island rather than attempt the crossing of Queen Charlotte Strait and the subsequent rounding of Cape Caution. If you can attain an EXPERT seakayaker rating before you plan to start this trip, you can always reconsider your starting point.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

i had a feeling there would be many reasons not to do this. Why do you say so? strong currents? winds? just plain stupid? Kitimat was another option i was thinking.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page