ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Readers Digest Article Now Out (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/23666-readers-digest-article-now-out.html)

Pathfinder 12-20-2007 08:56 AM

Wow! Great stuff!

According to wikipedia, RD's readership is something like is 78 million people in more than 70 countries, with 50 editions in 21 languages

So the story is BIG.

Can a movie be far behind?.............What was going through Simon's mind when he cut the rope?........Ooop's sorry, wrong story ...........

AcesHigh 12-21-2007 08:05 AM

I have a confession to make (SORRY!). I opened someone elses mail just to read this story...

I had a readers digest sitting on my desk for 48hrs which was someone elses mail. It was in a sealed bag, and I had no idea the story was in it until I read this thread.

I kept looking at the Readers Digest on my desk soooo tempted to open it figuring the owner of it probably wouldn't mind if I opened it, if I knew there was a story inside that was close to home.

Sure was a great read!

A couple things I learned that did not know, Simon (uberhiker) works a zamboni? No wonder he can handle all the cold & ice :) Wonder if he does the ice in his short sleeved shirt too lol.

I was suprised to read / learn read clubtread has a group of 10,000.

This story is what I call "Luck" of course there was a great deal of great skills involved, but... This story could of been a tragedy so easily. I guess as Chris already knows, just how lucky he is to be alive. Hopefully you guys can use this story to warn others of the dangers and risks involved in extreme hiking activities.

Two thumbs up guys! Great read!

hopeless romantic 12-21-2007 11:25 AM

Wow what a treat! Being able to read this online was great, as I am faarrr from a Safeway or London Drugs to buy RD. Thank you NSExplorer/Moses!

The story is such a good example of when and how necessary it is to make prudent judgement about when to turn back, esp. in winter conditons. Those %x#!! mountains N. Vancouver are sure pretty, but deadly! Even in summer people go missing and are never found...

I personally would never do what these guys did, would have wussed out long before crossing that freaking slope. But they were probably pumped with the challenge, and loved the thrill of doing it. I'm sure if they had a wuss along like me, they'd stop and go back, and never would've endured this tragedy. A potential tradegy for more than just one person!!!

Moral of story? Your wuss could save your life. LOVE YOUR WUSS!!
How's that for a Tshirt message?

Aces high I'm sure your co worker will forgive you opening their mail, esp. when you buy them a beer...

AcesHigh 12-21-2007 12:21 PM

The picture they show of Chris's fall 150 Meter (Equivelant to 50 Story Building) is unimaginable.

guntis 12-21-2007 01:06 PM

Phenomenal story! I've read the NSR report, the CT discussions, but it's still great to read about it in magazine format. Thanks for posting Doug (I'm still going to buy it though:)).

This harrowing adventure is particularly relevant due to the familiar terrain. If I was in unfamiliar territory (say, the Andes or something), I probably would wuss out, in hopeless romantic's words. But I think I'd be far more likely to get in trouble locally. Having a healthy respect of our mountains is truly important!

simonc 12-21-2007 03:31 PM

I didn't know just how bad it got for some of those avalanche control guys. It's a good re-telling of the story with points of view from most people involved.

I will mention that Chris fell just over 200m in elevation and that I downclimbed from his fall point about 170m in elevation to the bluff where I was approximately 30m above him (article says I was 150m above him and that he fell 150m too).

https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/154000/154042.jpg Green=Chris, Blue=me

Also, this story is only in the Canadian Edition but there is a good chance it will be picked up by editions for other countries.

Spunky 12-21-2007 05:50 PM

It's amazing what those guys went through to get to Chris. I hadn't realized it was that bad either.

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by simonc

I didn't know just how bad it got for some of those avalanche control guys. It's a good re-telling of the story with points of view from most people involved.

burnabyhiker 12-21-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by simonc

I didn't know just how bad it got for some of those avalanche control guys.
You and me both Simon. I phoned them yesterday to thank them. Humbling...

calixtomoon 12-21-2007 06:43 PM

BAHAAAAAAHAHAHAAAAA
freaking hilarious

gotta go make a purchase

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Justin Case

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Moses

(Simon is compared to Lance Armstong!)
Didn't know Simon was missing a testicle...[:0]