ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Readers Digest Article Now Out (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/23666-readers-digest-article-now-out.html)

WestCoastPaddler 12-18-2007 07:46 PM

I don't know if I should admit to this but my copy of RD arrived a few days ago -- awesome article.

And a nice plug for clubtread.com on the first page of the piece.[8D]

Dan

-----

Moses 12-18-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by NS Explorer

Hey! How come there aren't any dramatic poser mountain top shots of rescuers, just rescuees?
;)
Not to worry, here is the picture of the heros involved. This is a good read, as it leaves all parties with their dignity intact. (I have read some of these types of stories where there is finger pointing. Not so in this article. Refreshing to just hear the story without opinons sprinkled throughout.)

https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/153000/153886.jpg

Shadee 12-19-2007 09:41 AM

So if a movie is to be made, do CT members get first choice for being extras? [:o)]

Justin Case 12-19-2007 12:25 PM

Ha! Got my copy of RD!

Compelling story indeed, though it doesn't add too much of what the people on CT who have read up on the story already know.

Of course, there was an inconsistency or two (like how much Chris actually fell) and they fiddle around with the chronology but still insist heading the chapters with dates and times. It reads as though both the writing and the editing were rushed a bit too much.

But besides that, it's a great story and one with a (mostly (-- we're hoping for a complete and full recovery, Chris!)) happy ending. As others have said before me, the snow gods smiled favourably upon burnabyhiker (that is, after they let him lose footing first).

The story is put in stark contrast with a story in the same issue of Reader's Digest on page 107 ("Saving Natalie) about the 10-year recovery struggle of a Kamloops girl, after she fell 30 metres down a cliff in the rugged hills behind their home when she was 11 years old. The incident killed Natalie's 13-year-old brother Mark when he fell while trying to rescue her.

You're lucky to be alive, Chris. And lucky are those who know you and Simon.

wilderness_seeker 12-19-2007 12:38 PM

Yep, got my copy too!!

Burnabyhiker, it says you're "tall, lean and affable." You should play that one for all it's worth!

I'm still trying to think who should play your characters in the movie :D

It also says CT is an "online community of 10,000 North American outdoor enthusiasts." Aren't we mostly from BC's lower mainland, with a healthy population of Islanders and Albertans, with one guy from Utah thrown in the mix?

At any rate, we're glad both of you plus the SAR team made it out safely.

Matt 12-19-2007 02:43 PM

Now we'll see if there's such a thing as the "Reader's Digest Effect."

hafilax 12-19-2007 03:17 PM

If CT is mentioned it will be interesting to see if the site gets a bunch of hits in the next few weeks.

Anemone 12-19-2007 04:19 PM

Actually, Chris, you kind of look like Jim Carrey (and he's Canadian, too - he wants more serious roles, doesn't he?).

I just read the original thread. Wow, you are so lucky, both of you. I can't believe you didn't turn back with that visibility. I did Wes's Staircase once, and can only imagine what that terrain is like in the snow. Not exactly safe tobogganing country.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the article.

burnabyhiker 12-19-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Burnabyhiker, it says you're "tall, lean and affable." You should play that one for all it's worth!
It just shows you shouldn't believe everything you read. ;)

(but you wouldn't disagree Tracy, right?)

NS Explorer 12-19-2007 04:44 PM

If anyone has scanned the article, please e-mail it to me as I would like to circulate it around the North Shore Rescue Team.

Moses 12-19-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by NS Explorer

If anyone has scanned the article, please e-mail it to me as I would like to circulate it around the North Shore Rescue Team.
email sent - will get it to you this evening

NS Explorer 12-19-2007 09:42 PM

mick range 12-19-2007 10:20 PM

Thanks Doug :)

Aqua Terra 12-19-2007 11:04 PM

That was a good read,very intense,perhaps some small errors,but well though out and true to the events.
Lets try not to make anymore rescue headlines for a while :)

ChuckLW 12-19-2007 11:32 PM

Wow! I've read previous posts regarding Chris' accident but never got a good sense of everything that went into the rescue. It has to be said that each and every member of the NSR SAR team, the avi-tech support from Whistler and the heli pilots involved proved themselves as true heroes. It really is a great, positive story.