Cypress snow conditions Dec.16.07 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default Cypress snow conditions Dec.16.07

Hello everyone:

Julia and I went for a short trip up to Cypress, and found a good trail for snowshoeing. I believe the same one you hike up to Mt Strachan and towards the Lions out from the Parking Lot, near the down hill Ski Runs.

Plenty of snow fell during the last week, looks like a good 2 feet of new snow just back from the buildings at the base of the hill. It was bitterly cold in the wind in the exposed open areas, but very pleasant on the trail sheltered by the trees. Taking a few steps off the beaten path, sunk in about 20 to 35 cm into the soft snow.

Here are a few photos taken during the blizzard up there late this afternoon.

And then after we returned to the parking lot.

It was a great afternoon to experience the snow and the icy wind.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Summit Master

Might have to head up there for a midweek ski
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I can't believe it, I was skiing up & down Hollyburn. It was dumping snow up there. There was some thumping sound on the trail, but I did not believe it was avalanche related. The snow was well anchored.

When I came down, I got stuck at the road going down because there was an accident. Some guy must have been too impatient and rear ended the car in front.
Code:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by larryl

I can't believe it, I was skiing up & down Hollyburn. It was dumping snow up there. There was some thumping sound on the trail, but I did not believe it was avalanche related. The snow was well anchored.

When I came down, I got stuck at the road going down because there was an accident. Some guy must have been too impatient and rear ended the car in front.
Code:

On our way up, saw cars lined up waiting to come down behind that spot. On the way back down, did I see that car with the bashed-in rear. Snowfall on the car was about 1 cm accmulated in one hour.

Must have just missed you....

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I was at Cypress snowboarding yesterday. It was quite windy and a lot of the snow that fell the previous night was getting pretty windswept where exposed. Fortunately where it wasn't skiied out (ie trees/drops) there was some pretty nice, deep and dry (by coastal standards) snow.

The new lift wasn't running yet, nor was the Sky Chair... but all in all it was a good day for my first turns of the year.

C
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Frolicking in the snow, hanging out on summits, chilling out, eating, and laughing in the company of my friends.

hafilax and I went up Hollyburn this morning. Lots of fresh snow, not very many people around, good times. I think I will start going up there on Mondays from now on to avoid the crowds and get a quick workout.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SnowSeeker

hafilax and I went up Hollyburn this morning. Lots of fresh snow, not very many people around, good times. I think I will start going up there on Mondays from now on to avoid the crowds and get a quick workout.

Whatever happened to that pair of skis, Geoff? And, did you show at Rene's birthday party on Saturday? I did.

I'll show up Hollyburn whenever I can't get to do backcountry skiing. Good workout.

Larry
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
DW2
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: travel/ hike/camp/ backpack/canoe/ photography/ snowshoeing/x-country ski

Thanks for the photo update Karl and others. I am so waiting to get out my x-country skis and hit the trails. I love night skiing up there!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

We were skiing at Whistler on Sunday. I'll get out to the backcountry again when I get back from Denver in January. It's good to have snowshoes as well since many of my friends don't have AT gear yet. I'll convert them all soon I'm sure. SnowSeeker's at the top of the list. I may haul my snowboard out there one of these days.

We didn't make it to Rene's party. We had too much going on that night. Talk about small world.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Frolicking in the snow, hanging out on summits, chilling out, eating, and laughing in the company of my friends.

Quote:
And, did you show at Rene's birthday party on Saturday? I did.
How the hell do you know Rene? The guy's moved from Quebec only a few months ago and he knows you?!? [:0][]
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SnowSeeker

Quote:
And, did you show at Rene's birthday party on Saturday? I did.
How the hell do you know Rene? The guy's moved from Quebec only a few months ago and he knows you?!? [:0][]
You bet. He also knows a whole bundle of us. We even rode up and down together Whistler/Blackcomb during the famous rain storm a couple of weeks ago.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Went up there again today, this evening. Of the 16 km of road from the highway, it rained lightly all the way up. Only the last 2-1/2 km of the road had snow cover on it, but the parking lot was very icy.

Huge crowds of people up there, especially by the skii schools. Could not find our snowshoe trail in the semi-dark and thick fog, lots of snow (3 to 4 feet). The light rain let up shortly after we walked around.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page